Windows 10: Analyze why EXE file (that I created myself) wont load (sys error 193)

Discus and support Analyze why EXE file (that I created myself) wont load (sys error 193) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; (similar post on Software and Apps forum) I have written my own program that creates a .EXE file by modifying another .EXE file. The output file will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrolle, Sep 14, 2016.

1. mrolle Win User

Analyze why EXE file (that I created myself) wont load (sys error 193)

(similar post on Software and Apps forum)
    I have written my own program that creates a .EXE file by modifying another .EXE file. The output file will not run. Intel's SDE program tells me it gets a system error 193.
    If the tool changes nothing, but just writes back everything it finds in the input, then the output runs fine, and in fact the binary files are identical.
    I have the tool making just a few changes. It lengthens the file size and virtual size of section # 4 (.data) by 1000x, and adds 1000x to the RVA of section # 5 (.rdata). It also adjusts the Relocations Data Directory pointer and the SizeOfImage in the image header. Otherwise the two files are identical.
    But the output file doesn't load.
    I also tried setting the output Checksum and SizeOfCode fields to 0 without changing anything else, and it runs successfully. So these fields are apparently not the cause of the problem.

DO YOU KNOW a way or a tool to tell me what's wrong with my output .EXE??

If you would like to analyze the files yourself, please tell me how to package the .EXEs as an attachment for you.

Thanks.

:)

mrolle, Sep 14, 2016

2. blue screen error

*******************************************************************************

* Bugcheck Analysis

*******************************************************************************

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck D1, {108, 2, 0, fffff805cdc8d5a2}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\Netwbw02.sys, Win32 error 0n2

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Netwbw02.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Netwbw02.sys

Update the Intel 3160 WiFi Driver to version 18.40.0.9:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03711806M/7/Network_Driver_MVH6C_WN32_18.40.0.9_A06_04.EXE

Update the Intel Management Engine Interface Driver to version 9.5.22.1760:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01975220M/1/Chipset_Driver_9M49M_WN_9.5.22.1760_A00.EXE

This file will automatically self-install after downloading. Restart required.

Update the Intel HD Graphics Family Driver to version 20.19.15.4463:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03821732M/1/Video_Driver_0WPX0_WN32_20.19.15.4463_A03.EXE

Update the Dell Airplane Mode Switch Driver to version 1.4.1.0:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01691863M/1/Network_Driver_90M6T_WN_1.4.1_A00.EXE

Gerry C J Cornell, Sep 14, 2016
  3. auggy Win User
    Random Crashes / BSODs during boot (and during boot ONLY) - MiniDump files included

The minidump files showed that for both of the errors the process that crashed was the SCEWIN_64.exe.

The SCEWIN_64.exe appears to be a component of MSI Control Center.

The 0x00000019 error appears to be caused by the amifldrv64.sys which appears to be a component of a MSI Bios update utility:

BugCheck 19, {22, ffffd00024424000, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for amifldrv64.sys

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for amifldrv64.sys

Probably caused by : amifldrv64.sys ( amifldrv64+1a04 )

PROCESS_NAME: SCEWIN_64.exe

Try uninstalling, at least temporarily, the MSI software.

auggy, Sep 14, 2016
  4. mrolle Win User

I know why the EXE failed to load now. However, I want to leave this thread open because (1) it may be of interest to some later linker developer, and (2) I hope somebody will point to where the violated requirement is documented.

I found out that the problem was that I had the first section starting at RVA = 2000x, rather than the usual 1000x produced by the microsoft and gnu linkers.

There was another problem I discovered. As documented in the PE spec, sections have to be consecutive and adjacent. The pages occupied by a section go up to the page containing the last byte, as given by the size in memory of the section header. I tried placing a 1000x gap between two of the sections, and it failed to load. Instead, if I made the first of these sections 1000x longer, then it worked fine.

The difference between making the first section 1000x longer, and starting the first section 1000x later, was that the latter case failed to load. In both cases I correctly adjusted the entry point address, the image size, and the relocations directory.

So please, if you know where it is documented that the first section starts at 1000x, or better, a complete specification of what an EXE file requires in order to be loadable, ... then please post it here, and also on my thread in the Software and Apps forum.

mrolle, Sep 14, 2016
  5. mrolle Win User
    mrolle, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Analyze why EXE file (that I created myself) wont load (sys error 193) - Similar Threads - Analyze why EXE

2. Exe files wont open

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Exe files wont open: When I download new exe files such as discord installer and run it, it won't do anything; it will not load at all. I tried it with a different installer when I tried to download Anaconda and vs code which would download since the installer won't open; I was going to try on a...
  3. Exe files wont open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exe files wont open: When I download new exe files such as discord installer and run it, it won't do anything; it will not load at all. I tried it with a different installer when I tried to download Anaconda and vs code which would download since the installer won't open; I was going to try on a...
  4. Exe files wont open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Exe files wont open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Create .exe file at editor?

Create .exe file at editor?: Hello, dear people, i may make an exe file at editor in windows 10 but i don't know the code, can you help me? Love regards Jamie .exe datei bei editor erstellen?
  7. Exe files Wont open

Exe files Wont open: I am stuck in SAFE MODE because no exe file will open!! I cant access Regedit, Msconfig, Cmd or Powershell any EXE file so I cant even change to different account to get out of safe mode. Everytime I click on exe file the store app pops up and I have tried reset on that app...
  8. EXE files wont start

EXE files wont start: Hello, guys! I have an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Media Center Edition (Joke, It is actually Home) x64 and I've just downloaded an application used for TV when I'm gone, but it won't start! I've edited the registry, Ran as an Administrator, I can't start safe mode, nothing...
  9. Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe

Invalid DISM, Error 193, Can't open any .exe: Hello, I'll explain my situation briefly (nevermind) but thoroughly because I'm a busy Engineering student at the moment. Last Saturday (Nov 17th) I accidentally turned off my desktop tower by holding the power button rather than mousing over to 'Shut Down' in Start, and...
  10. .exe file wont run

.exe file wont run: So I'm trying to open a .exe file but all it does is show the blue loading circle and it doesn't do anything. The file wont open and when I try to download the file again it wont open. I'm currently running a windows 10. Can anyone help? 61193