Windows 10: @ and ' key in UK keyboard does not work by tapping, only holding the key

Discus and support @ and ' key in UK keyboard does not work by tapping, only holding the key in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I have just come out of a 2 hours session with a remoted Microsoft tech trying to sort this issue. Essentially: -@ and ' key do not work by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by D_Valentim, Feb 8, 2020.

1. @ and ' key in UK keyboard does not work by tapping, only holding the key

Hi all,

I have just come out of a 2 hours session with a remoted Microsoft tech trying to sort this issue. Essentially:

-@ and ' key do not work by only tapping, it only works when held down like if Filter Keys is turned on and once it appears, it has already spammed 3-4 characters;

-This occurs only on UK and UK extended keyboard, using the same key on any other keyboard language will work as usual but with a different character;

-Even after replacing the keyboard 3 different times from 2 different manufacturers, the same issue still occurred;

-When using the On Screen Keyboard, the same issue still happens, pretty much confirming this is a language keyboard issue. Not physical despite how much the tech over the remote tried to insist;

Here is what was tried so far:

-Disabled everything on the Ease of Access > Keyboard options to make sure no keys were being messed with even though every single other key is working fine;

-Removed UK keyboard lang and replaced it with something else, then brought UK back. Still having issue;

-Reinstalled all keyboard drivers. Still issue;

-Ran W10 some for of repair from a w10 iso this was done by the tech, at this point I was making some coffee due to the boredom that I was not paying much attention at what was being done. Still have issues;

-Ran sfc scannow, found no integrity violations;

-Tried last used physical keyboard again just to be sure I was not going crazy, still had the same issue;

-Downloaded PassMark KeyboardTest and had a look, it does not recognise the key is being pressed unless it is held. When the kb language was changed to USA international when pressing the @ and ' key it selected the # and ~ key as the output;

In short it seems the keyboard language simply does not recognise that key unless it is being held.

I am going nuts at this point due to it being something so simple. And I can see someone else had the same problem a while back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-pressed/f47f3262-e292-4d47-a5ab-edea19523af6 but found no conclusion.

Please advise.

:)

D_Valentim, Feb 8, 2020

2. Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

I happen to have used the Tt Challenger Pro keyboard in the past, and the volume keys worked flawlessly in every game, so it's indeed a weird problem. I would suggest the same thing sneekypeet suggested, using the keyboard software and assign this function to a hotkey, but you said that didn't work either, so yeah...

George_o/c, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Berton Win User
    Some keyboard keys stopped working after windows 10 upgrade

Has the Notebook been worked on? Do any of those keys work if holding down the Shift key? Have you used compressed air to blow out any crud that may be blocking the keys?

It's not expensive nor hard to replace the keyboard, usually can find a video or step-by-step articles on the 'net.
    Amazon shows a new keyboard:
    Amazon.com: Dell Inspiron 15 (3521 / 5521) Laptop Keyboard - YH3FC - Genuine Dell Part: Computers Accessories

Berton, Feb 8, 2020
  4. @ and ' key in UK keyboard does not work by tapping, only holding the key

Some keyboard keys stopped working after windows 10 upgrade

It hasn't been worked on and it was working fine just before the upgrade

fallenhrts, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

@ and ' key in UK keyboard does not work by tapping, only holding the key

1. @ and ' key in UK keyboard does not work by tapping, only holding the key - Similar Threads - key keyboard does

2. Shift key only works when I tap it, not when I hold it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key only works when I tap it, not when I hold it.: My shift key, for some reason, only works when I tap it, and then the next character will be affected by the shift key, but if I hold it then it won't.I need a fix please...It fixes itself when I restart my pc but I'm tired of doing that....
  3. Shift key only works when I tap it, not when I hold it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift key only works when I tap it, not when I hold it.: My shift key, for some reason, only works when I tap it, and then the next character will be affected by the shift key, but if I hold it then it won't.I need a fix please...It fixes itself when I restart my pc but I'm tired of doing that....
  4. Shift key only works when I tap it, not when I hold it.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard: On my Surface Book 2, when I have the US International QWERTY region keyboard installed, the bottom row of keys has recently stopped working Z, X,C, V, B, N, M. I tried changing to the UK QWERTY region keyboard and these same bottom row keys work. I want to use the US...
  6. Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard

Keyboard keys not working on US QWERTY keyboard but work on UK QWERTY keyboard: On my Surface Book 2, when I have the US International QWERTY region keyboard installed, the bottom row of keys has recently stopped working Z, X,C, V, B, N, M. I tried changing to the UK QWERTY region keyboard and these same bottom row keys work. I want to use the US...
  7. USB Keyboard on Windows 10 does not work unless holding keys, and then only repeats the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Keyboard on Windows 10 does not work unless holding keys, and then only repeats the...: Earlier tonight my USB Keyboard began to have an odd issue. It would only input if I held down the keys for several seconds, and then would input several of the same letter as long as I held it. I replaced the keyboard with another USB Keyboard and had the same issue. The...
  8. USB Keyboard on Windows 10 does not work unless holding keys, and then only repeats the...

USB Keyboard on Windows 10 does not work unless holding keys, and then only repeats the...: Earlier tonight my USB Keyboard began to have an odd issue. It would only input if I held down the keys for several seconds, and then would input several of the same letter as long as I held it. I replaced the keyboard with another USB Keyboard and had the same issue. The...
  9. USB Keyboard on Windows 10 does not work unless holding keys, and then only repeats the...

10. Key on UK keyboard no longer working

Key on UK keyboard no longer working: Hi,The language used on my computer is English UK and appears as such on all of the language settings. My keyboard has always been arranged so that after the 'L' key there is the : ; key and then a ' @ key and a # ~ key before you reach the Enter key. I recently added another...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can my device can change the colour of keybord