Windows 10: Anniversary Update Failure (Solved)

Discus and support Anniversary Update Failure (Solved) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; 1. Downloaded the Windows Home update. 2. I noticed that it was at 92% of preparing the update, but later found it back at perhaps 5%. 3. Second... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Not Myself, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Anniversary Update Failure (Solved)

1. Downloaded the Windows Home update.

2. I noticed that it was at 92% of preparing the update, but later found it back at perhaps 5%.

3. Second preparation step finished, gave command to restart the computer and finish the process.

4. First step was to configure the update, which went to 100% in a single step, unlike earlier updates which always restarted the process at around 30%.

5. Computer restarted, and the installation process started working on updating (sorry, I don't recall what the actual text on the screen was.) This was quite slow, with two restarts (as the text indicated would happen.) Around 55% complete, the process speeded up, arriving at around 75% in just a few jumps, rather than percent by percent.

6. Third restart began, which sadly gave an error message that a problem had been encountered.

7 Twice, the process gathered error information and tried to fix whatever had gone wrong.

8. After the second attempt, process went into a restore of previous version of Windows; at least that worked.

This is the first update failure on this machine, dating back to purchasing it last March or thereabouts. Any ideas, suggestions, incantations that I might follow? I don't want to try downloading and going through the same lengthy process again until I have--with luck, of course--anything that might ensure success.

As an aside, I tried twice to download the Anniversary update for my wife's computer; the search for updates stated that the machine was up-to-date, which did not list the Anniversary update.

==
    Having received no replies, I decided to risk trying to install again. This time, the process was much faster than the first attempt; for example, the first stage did not restart, it went directly to 100% and passed matters on to step two. Unfortunately once again the install failed around 72%, but at least it then restored Windows to its previous state.

I was somewhat surprised to find, this morning, that Windows Update does not show that I have a pending update for the Anniversary release. I was further surprised that, when I checked for updates, none were offered. Given that the Anniversary update has not been installed, I wonder why it was not found during the check for updates.

:)

Not Myself, Aug 2, 2016

2. After Windows 10 1511 Update, Regedit hangs on the Find command

Anniversary Update corrected this and two other issues (Visual studio install/uninstall failure, HP all in one printer install failure).

David Rosin, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 anniversary update 1607

I have windows 10 education version. My question is going to updating windows 10 anniversary update 1607 failure. When fully downloaded the update, the laptop has restarted with configuring windows update. when windows 10 anniversary update 1607 was installing
    30% suddenly laptop restarted and then showed '' Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. we will restart for you.'' and there was a stop code. that's " Stop code: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE". However, again windows was loading from previous version.
    I tried several time this process for updating windows 10 anniversary update 1607. So please consider this situation and give me instructions for solve this problem. Thank you!

Ravindu SararangaPathirana, Aug 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Anniversary Update Failure (Solved)

dalchina, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Thanks for your reply.

1. I am just not up to using an ISO right now; no reason, other than that, well, I just don't want to do that. Rather, I want to wait to see if others post about failure(s) similar to what I have encountered. If not, then at some time in the future (as I have not yet figured out how to do that in the past...), I shall probably do that.

2. Yesterday, I set the Avast! shield controls to off for one hour, to see if perhaps that would fix the problem; much to my surprise, after the restoration of my previous install, when I logged on and went to Avast! to turn the shields back on, I found that they were already on. Perhaps I should try the `turn off permanently' setting?

3. Reading one of your two links, I learned that MS is distributing the update to newer computers first, which would explain why I could not get it for my wife's machine, which is a few years old, but not explain why I could get it yesterday for mine, but not get it today.

4. Finally, everything else, which should thereby cover everything else, whatever everything else might be.

Not Myself, Aug 2, 2016
  6. altae Win User
    Well just use the iso. There isn't any disadvantage in using the iso instead of Windows update.

altae, Aug 2, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Well, I followed one of the links I posted to launch the upgrade manually as it had not been offered via Windows update (without actually getting an iso as such though) and the update went reasonably well. Two small programs have proved incompatible - one of which was no surprise- the other is being updated, and there was a warning about an HTML editor.

The actual file downloaded was a 3Gb esd file (= electronic software distribution or some such). This is deleted during the installation process- I made a copy of it, however, during the installation.

In the tutorial section there's a small program Kari has written that supports creation of an iso from an esd file, so I'll be able to get an iso but not the way I'd thought I would.

So it didn't quite go as I had expected, but not too much to do to tidy up.

dalchina, Aug 2, 2016
  8. Carl Win User

Don't have any advise for you, but I've had a similar experience to yours up to the third restart (at 75% completion). Instead of getting an error message saying the update failed, my computer just freezes with that small dotted circle just going endlessly around until I finally reboot it and restore my previous version. Going to try and use the Win 10 Media Tool next time.

Carl, Aug 2, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 2, 2016
  10. I probably will do so, but, as I wrote earlier, for no valid reason whatsoever, I just don't feel like doing that now.

Not Myself, Aug 3, 2016
  11. Anniversary Update installed:

1. Stopped wuaserv/cryptSvc/bits/msiserver.

2. Renamed C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to SoftwareDistribution.old; renamed C\Windows\Ssytem32\catroot32 to catroot2.old.

3. Restarted the services shown in (1supra).

4. Restarted Computer.

5. Removed Avast! anti-virus. Disabled fire wall.

6. Unplugged external hard disk.

7. Downloaded and ran a forced copy of the update.

8. Reinstalled Avast!, plugged external hard disk in.; enabled firewall.

9. Ran Avast! scan, Comodo Firewall scan, and AdwCleaner (which found a few things to remove, allowed it to so do.)

10. I believe that I then wrote and posted this report....

Not Myself, Aug 4, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    A report which I believe I read (I'll have to check that). Great!

dalchina, Aug 4, 2016
  13. itekweni Win User

I tried to install the update a couple of nights ago and at 71% it rebooted and a message restoring previous version of windows and when finished my old windows 10 was back and now very reluctant to try again in case it messes up but now since the update failure my pc has been having BSOD which i never had before this rubbish the MS brought out, could someone let me know if it is better to upgrade via windows update on download the iso and do it from there also what changes if upgrading from the iso ??? not happy with MS at the minute :-(

itekweni, Aug 6, 2016
  14. SoFine409 Win User
    Use the ISO to do a upgrade in place/repair install. It has worked for me on three PCs where the Windows upgrade did not. Be sure you make a backup of you entire disk assuming that you have the necessary tools to do that or at least all of your important data. You will be happy with the result. Let us know how it goes.
    Bob

SoFine409, Aug 6, 2016
  15. itekweni Win User
    SoFine409 thanks for reply and I was going to do what you proposed this weekend but somehow whilst at work windows 10 decided to upgrade and I only found out when I got back home and found a change to start menu and other things running which I stopped and must say it seem okay after this surprise that awaited me when getting home.

itekweni, Aug 8, 2016
Thema:

1. Anniversary Update Failure (Solved) - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update Failure

2. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  3. Anniversary Update woes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Update woes: Hi. I recently rolled back my desktop from the anniversary update because I was noticing problems with start times (slower), my wifi (poor connection) and bluetooth (connection problems with no audio). After trying to reinstall my drivers which had no success, I decided to...
  4. anniversary update failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    anniversary update failure: i have this ONE pc with windows 10 pro installed i needed to upgrade the Hdd cause it was running out of space. so i bought a 6TB hdd to replace the 3TB Hdd original. both Hdds have the same activation serial.both work fine. i updated the original hdd to the anniversary...
  5. Is the Anniversary Update Missing Drives Problem Solved?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is the Anniversary Update Missing Drives Problem Solved?: There were many posts on the forum a month ago following the Anniversary Update (AU) about people having missing drives or drives showing RAW format. I haven't noticed any recent reports and wonder if this problem has now been solved? I've been postponing upgrading to the...
  6. Anniversary Update Problem

Anniversary Update Problem: I downloaded and installed the iso referenced in Dona Sarkar's announcement memo Win_10_1607_English_X64.iso dated 8/2/16. My winver shows 1607 build 14393.0. I expected it to be 14393.10. Anyone know what's up? The machine is an original upgrade from Win 8.1. I also have a...
  7. Why no anniversary update?

Why no anniversary update?: My desktop computers are running Windows 10 Pro version 1511 OS Build 10586.545 I don't appear to get the anniversay update. Is there a reason for this? (I have a year old laptop with Windows 10 Home and that did get the anniversary update.) 74147
  8. Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: How can I tell if I have received the "Anniversary Update"? 60115
  9. anniversary update, accept or not

anniversary update, accept or not: I know it will eventually be installed no matter what I do but it appears it is loaded with errors from what I read on this site and others. Can it be delayed at all. Upgraded from 7 to 10 last December. 59811
  10. Solved - Win 10 Anniversary Update 1607 - The Worst Ever?

in Windows 10 Support
    Solved - Win 10 Anniversary Update 1607 - The Worst Ever?: This one has to be the worst of them all. It has taken us back to '90s era when we had to do such stupid things such as take out USBs while installation, install drivers and do backups and all that stuff. Few days back i decided to install the Annversary Update ie. 1607...