Windows 10: Anniversary update has defaulted to COA screen?

Discus and support Anniversary update has defaulted to COA screen? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a laptop that came with windows 8.1 and the COA was embedded (so I have never seen it). I upgraded to the free win 10 that was available prior... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Skywalker, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Skywalker Win User

Anniversary update has defaulted to COA screen?

I have a laptop that came with windows 8.1 and the COA was embedded (so I have never seen it). I upgraded to the free win 10 that was available prior to July 29th cutoff. All was fine, a little buggy at times but upgraded and activated. So the anniversary update happened one day during "check for updates". It ran all afternoon and into the night, the next day when it came to life it started asking for the COA. I have no idea what it is, any way around this?

Thank you MS for hiding the COA *Sad

:)

Skywalker, Aug 31, 2016

2. FM radio

What has happened to the windows default radio app in anniversary update.

THIWANKAPRABATH, Aug 31, 2016
  3. Windows 10 1707 (OS Build 16299.125) won't activate

My 'Microsoft' account indicates the OS installed. Updates successfully executes and updates are installed. Activation is not indicated. 'Unable to reach Windows activation servers' message received. Entered default COA. Error '0x803f7001' received.
    Thoughts. Thank-you!

TheresaDooley, Aug 31, 2016
  4. Anniversary update has defaulted to COA screen?

Showkey will show you your embedded key, https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html
    Windows shouldn't be asking for it now though, if it was already upgraded and activated?
    Your PC will have a generic key issued with the free upgrades Digital License.
    What does it say in Settings > Update & security > Activation?

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    As alpha says... it should not prompt for a key (it's semantics, but by COA you mean embedded OEM, I assume) - Prob. a glitch connecting to the activation server.

Superfly, Aug 31, 2016
  6. I took his COA reference to mean he's looking for his OEM product key, and couldn't find the sticker. I think there is a sticker, it just doesn't have a key on it.
    All Windows 8 and 10 PC's now activate online, OEM and Retail. You hunch about server glitch is spot on. That or the files dealing with authenticity on the PC are corrupted?
    You know a lot more about that than I ever will, lol.

7. @ Skywalker, "has defaulted to COA screen", more info on that screen or message your getting might help sort it out? A screen shot if possible.

8. Superfly Win User

Yup, that was how I understood it as well ... file corruption seems less evident with Win10 than Win8... even with the latter, there was a fail-safe (anti-piracy) "sfc" type auto-repair - I think they added an auto-detect to that now.

LOL... you do have an immaculate understanding of the activation process, nevertheless *Wink

Superfly, Aug 31, 2016
  9. You must get a tweet every time showkey is mentioned, lol. *Tongue You more often than not the next post after I link to it in a thread.
    I like to think I have a decent handle on how it works, or is supposed to work. That info isn't easy to come by. Microsoft isn't saying how it works for obvious reasons.
    If a friend drops a PC off for me to "fix" I endeavor to get it legal again, if it isn't. That's what got me researching how it may have been cheated in the first place.
    Now that I'm an MVP, I sometimes wonder if I'm giving out too much info on how it works. And if anybody is "watching" what I post?
    Anyway, now we'll just have to wait and see what the OP has to say.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Anniversary update has defaulted to COA screen? - Similar Threads - Anniversary update has

2. COA labels

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    COA labels: Hi. We are a workstation builder and always when we install an image of win10pro on a machine, we put a COA label on the housing. Now currently we purchased 10 win10pro licenses which are missing the red/rosa back-label, so we cannot get the label from the envelope which...
  3. COA labels

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COA labels: Hi. We are a workstation builder and always when we install an image of win10pro on a machine, we put a COA label on the housing. Now currently we purchased 10 win10pro licenses which are missing the red/rosa back-label, so we cannot get the label from the envelope which...
  4. Disable anniversary update lock screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable anniversary update lock screen: I have found two methods to do this, neither of which work Disable the Windows 10 Lock Screen (Anniversary Update) - gHacks Tech News Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607 are the ones I've tried, but the lock screen is still there. I'm on...
  5. Anniversary Update - default browser opens on login

in Browsers and Email
    Anniversary Update - default browser opens on login: We recently updated two machines to the Anniversary Update (via the Media Creation Tool method). Since the update, when you log in, the default browser is automatically opened at MSN.com. Neither browser has msn.com as their default page, and if you launch the browser from...
  6. Anniversary update has a login flaw.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Anniversary update has a login flaw.: I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Just did the anniversary update for Win 10, and have one problem, so far. I use to be able to either start the windows, or wake it up and go right to the program. Now I can start it when off, but when waking it up I had some kind...
  7. Updating with Anniversary Update has resulted in solid blue screen

Updating with Anniversary Update has resulted in solid blue screen: This is happening on my PC that meets or exceeds all minimum requirements for installing Windows 10. All three of the household laptops updated with no problems (I'm using one now). I was very happy with Windows 10. Cannot use any controls like Ctrl + Alt + Delete. No...
  8. Windows COA

Windows COA: Long story short, I have this Laptop preinstalled Windows 8 PRO A microsoft employee is inquiring (for license compliance) about this machine's COA and asking repeatedly about COA sticker. I can't find it anywhere. It says in BIOS it has Windows 8 preinstalled, but I...
  9. Anniversary update change default programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anniversary update change default programs?: Did the anniversary update change the way the default programs used to work? I can't seem to set the default programs to use portable applications now. And its alot harder to set file associations as well for portable apps. 71812
  10. Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update: I keep getting the odd blue screen since the anniversary update. I think it's network related, the network driver. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it keeps happening. Any ideas? Attached is the zip file as per rules of posting on this section. 61175