Windows 10: Anniversary update problems

Discus and support Anniversary update problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] - great! Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ssme, Aug 20, 2016.

1. dalchina New Member

Anniversary update problems

Anniversary update problems [​IMG]
    - great!

dalchina, Sep 8, 2016
  2. gahbmwm5 Win User

Yes indeed, it was the wrong lock screen that I was expecting Cortana to show up on...lol...Now I can still utilize 'netplwiz' to turn off password needed when booting up, but still have Cortana working on the other lock screen...once the system has fully booted up...

*Nerd*Party

gahbmwm5, Sep 8, 2016
  3. ssme Win User
    I have just tried upgrading another tablet to 1607, and the lockscreen has vanished on this one too. Since my earlier posts, I upgraded a slightly different model and didn't experience the issue, so assumed MS had fixed the ridiculous bug, but alas it is still an issue and makes the tablet unusable.

It is also still impossible to Google a solution to this issue, as searches just result in the exact opposite of what I want (i.e. people who want to remove the lock screen).

So, can anyone help me with this?

4. dalchina New Member

Try Winaero's tweaker, and check the state of the disable lock screen option.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2016
  5. ssme Win User
    The option is unchecked. As far as Windows is concerned, it is showing a lockscreen.

6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 26, 2016
  7. ssme Win User
    I did try disabling/reenabling it (putting tablet to sleep in between) and it didn't seem to make a difference. The response in the thread you've suggested appears to be for an older version of Win 10, as the unnamed option does not appear under "Sign-in options". No group policy options on Win 10 Home, and the registry key didn't make any difference when I added it.

I am yet to see any lock screen at any stage, but mainly when waking from screen off - it just goes straight to the start menu.

Luckily, I don't have an MS account or a local password set up on the tablet (nor on any of the other Windows tablets where this problem did not occur), so don't have to sign in or anything. I imagine the tablet would be completely unusable if I had to do so!

8. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 26, 2016
  9. ssme Win User
    Sorry, it depends on what you mean by not seeing it on the restart. By "lock screens" I mean the full screen (and very attractive) picture screens that feature the time and a few little Windows hints etc every time you wake the system up from sleep. On restart I see the sign in box for a while (I don't have a password so it disappears automatically), but never the lock screens when waking from sleep.

I'm unsure of the relevance of that link, as it seems to be solely about disabling the lockscreen, which would be a nice problem to have from my perspective *Smile

10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, the idea is to check those settings and apply the reverse if appropriate.

I know what a lock screen is, but they appear in different circumstances as I said.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2016
  11. ssme Win User
    There does not seem to be a local security policy on the tablet, so I can't use that option. I don't really want to do any more fiddling with the registry, but I guess I'll have to as MS continue to introduce ridiculous bugs. I've just tried following the same update procedure on another, identical tablet, brand new and never used beyond updating to Win 10 from 8.1, with precisely the same result: no lock screen.

And I didn't mean to insult your intelligence! I'm just aware that there are two separate screens I've seen - the pictorial one, and the one with the "Sign in" button (both of which should be amalgamated in the AU). I see the button when I restart under AU, but I've never seen the pictorial screen during a restart even before AU.

12. ssme Win User
    New findings: after an update, I briefly saw a flash of a lock screen a couple of times, but it disappeared without actually locking the screen.

A bit more experimenting found that if I go to the user picture and click "Lock", the lock screen flashes for a second, then vanishes.

If I sign out of the account, I see the lock screen and superimposed sign in button as expected, but that's the only time I actually see it. So the images and stuff are still there; Windows just forgets to actually use them for their intended purpose.

13. dalchina New Member

Almost sounds as if your manufacturer has done sthg to dispense with them. Sorry, beyond reinstalling I've ideas. Perhaps someone else can help.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Anniversary update problems - Similar Threads - Anniversary update problems

2. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  3. Bluetooth problems after anniversary update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bluetooth problems after anniversary update: So I have an issue with my bluetooth speakers. I basically can not pair my PC with my speakers after the anniversary update. I've been using these speakers for a while now and never had this problem. Speakers work just fine with any other device than my PC. When i'm...
  4. Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problem: Hello guys, I have small problem updating Windows 10 to the Anniversary update/build on my PC. I was downloading the 1607 build this morning through Windows update as usual and it installed some other updates, but not the build update. Now it keeps saying that my PC is...
  5. Cortana Problems with Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cortana Problems with Anniversary Update: After making the Anniversary Update I found that activation of the Cortana function on my lock screen did not occur per the change video and on my regular home page when I addressed Cortana with "Hey Cortana" the following quote came up on the Cortana screen "create a to-do...
  6. Anniversary Update Drive Problems?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Anniversary Update Drive Problems?: Some people on this forum have reported problems with drives not being detected by Windows or appearing in RAW format - see https://www.tenforums.com/gtsearch.ph...&sa.x=0&sa.y=0 It seems the problem still remains - see http://www.infoworld.com/article/311...ry-update.html...
  7. Problem After Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem After Anniversary Update: Hey Guys, Need some help here. Did my Anniversary update (after hearing of all the problems I did it anyhow I like to be updated) and am currently having 2 main problems. Im the Admin of my Computer. 1. I use Plex server a lot. So when I leave my computer on if it...
  8. Anniversary Update Problem

Anniversary Update Problem: I downloaded and installed the iso referenced in Dona Sarkar's announcement memo Win_10_1607_English_X64.iso dated 8/2/16. My winver shows 1607 build 14393.0. I expected it to be 14393.10. Anyone know what's up? The machine is an original upgrade from Win 8.1. I also have a...
  9. Anniversary Update Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update Problems: Hi, I've tested a few anniversary update features and although it was going to get disabled on Win 10 Pro only, on Enterprise also some tricks are not working. As usual, to save time, after each clean Windows installation, I run a number of .reg and .bat files to highly...
  10. Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....

Windows 10 Anniversary update problem....: Hi, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro edition 10586.494 without issue,as I have not yet received the automatic update to the Anniversary Edition I decided to install it manually. I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade assistant and it checked my PC and proceeded to...