Windows 10: Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

Discus and support Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 [img] Information The lock screen is the screen you see when you lock your PC (or when it locks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by tracit99, May 31, 2015.

1. tracit99 Win User

Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

How to: Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The lock screen is the screen you see when you lock your PC (or when it locks automatically after you haven't been using it for a while). The lock screen will also show at startup, and when you are signed out and idle for one minute. You will need to dismiss the lock screen to be able to see the sign in screen and sign in to Windows. Users can dismiss the lock screen using touch, the keyboard, or by dragging it up with the mouse.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the lock screen to show before the sign in screen for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to enable or disable the lock screen.

Warning If you have secure sign-in enabled for users to require them to press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys on the lock screen before signing in, then the lock screen cannot be disabled.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Lock Screen using Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Lock Screen using a REG file
    • Option Three: To Disable Lock Screen using a Task
    • Option Four: To Disable Lock Screen using Security Policy Rule

EXAMPLE: Lock and sign in screen in Windows 10

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Lock Screen using Group Policy

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below to set this same policy.

*Busted Starting in editions.

Starting in Windows 10 build 16170, this option will now also include the Windows 10 Pro edition.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization

3. In the right pane of Personalization in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Do not display the lock screen policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable the Lock Screen
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable the Lock Screen
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

8. You can press the Windows+L keys to lock the computer to verify.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Lock Screen using a REG file

Note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD values in the registry keys below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\SessionData
    AllowLockScreen DWORD

0 = Disable
    1 = Enable
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization
    NoLockScreen DWORD

0 or delete = enable
    1 = disable

*Busted Starting in editions.

Starting in Windows 10 build 16170, this option will now work in all editions of Windows 10.

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable the Lock Screen
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Lock_Screen.reg

Download

3. To Disable the Lock Screen
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Lock_Screen.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

8. You can press the Windows+L keys to lock the computer to verify.

OPTION THREE [/i] To Disable Lock Screen using a Task

Note This option will not disable the lock screen at startup. It will disable the lock screen when a user signs out, and resume from sleep.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog, type taskschd.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Task Scheduler.

2. Click/tap on Task Scheduler Library in the left pane of Task Scheduler, and click/tap on Create Task in the right Actions pane. (see screenshot below)

3. In the General tab, type a name (ex: "Disable Lock Screen") you want for this task, and type an optional description of the task. (see screenshot below)

4. In the General tab, check the Run with highest privileges box. (see screenshot below)

5. In the General tab, select Windows 10 in the Configure for drop down menu. (see screenshot below)

6. Click/tap on the Triggers tab, and click/tap on the New button. (see screenshot below)

7. Select At log on in the Begin the task drop down menu, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

8. Click/tap on the New button in the Triggers tab. (see screenshot below)

9. Select On workstation unlock in the Begin the task drop down menu, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

10. Click/tap on the Actions tab, and click/tap on the New button. (see screenshot below)

11. Type reg in the Program/script field. Type the command below into the Add arguments field, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

Note By default, the AllowLockScreen DWORD is reset to 1 at log on to always have the lock screen enabled.

This command for the task will keep the AllowLockScreen DWORD set to 0 instead to disable the lock screen.

Code:

12. You will now see this new action listed. (see screenshot below)

13. Click/tap on the Conditions tab, uncheck the Start the task only if the computer is on AC power box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

14. You will now see this new task (ex: "Disable Lock Screen") listed in the Task Scheduler Library. You can now close Task Scheduler if you like. (see screenshot below)

Tip To undo this task and enable the lock screen again, you would just need to delete this new task (ex: "Disable Lock Screen").

15. Sign out and sign in to apply the task. The task will automatically be applied to all other users on the PC the next time they sign in.

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Disable Lock Screen using Security Policy Rule

Note This option will not disable the lock screen at startup. It will disable the lock screen when a user signs out, and resume from sleep.

The Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions.

1. Open Local Security Policy (secpol.msc).

2. Expand open Software Restriction Policies and open Additional Rules in the left pane. (see screenshot below)

Note If you do not have Additional Rules under Software Restriction Policies, then right click on Software Restriction Policies and click on New Software Restriction Policies.

SIZE=3]3.[/SIZE] Do step 4 (disable) or step 5 (enable) below for what you want to do.

4. To Disable Lock Screen
    A) Right click on Additional Rules in the left pane, and click on New Path Rule. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Copy and paste C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy under Path, set Security level to Disallowed, click/tap on OK, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

5. To Enable Lock Screen
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Right click on the policy rule in the right pane of Additional Rules, and click on Delete. (see screenshot below step 2)

B) Click/tap on Yes to confirm, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. You can now close the Local Security Policy window if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

tracit99, May 31, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, May 31, 2015
  3. How to turn off MS pics/questions/prompt at start-up?

That is called a lock screen. Though I find it benificial, if you want to disable it you can see the following:

Hope that helps!

Sumit Dhiman2, May 31, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey tracit,

Yeah, I had some policies I found that don't do anything right now as well.

This one still works though. At least for me it does in build 10130. *Smile

Brink, Jun 1, 2015
  5. jeffo Win User
    Have you tried running the gpupdate.exe /force command after modifying the policy?
    Sometimes Windows doesn't react to GP changes automatically.

jeffo, Aug 8, 2015
  6. I used the Group Policy on my 64-bit desktop Windows 10, and it works fine.But on my 32-bit tablet with Windows 10 Home, the registry key does not work. This is after doing gpupdate.exe /force.

markweatherill, Aug 31, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Mark, *Smile

Did you also test to see if restarting Windows on the tablet may help?

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  8. satchmo Win User

I found that the registry edit works well, so I avoided changing the policy altogether.

satchmo, Aug 31, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Satchmo, *Smile

I'm glad to hear it's working well for you.

I hate to be the one that breaks the bad news to you, but the registry edit is the same thing that group policy sets. I just like having different options for doing the same thing in the tutorials in case one option (ex: group policy) is not an available option in say Windows 10 Home.

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  10. I did, and it didn't!

However, what I then did was download the same .reg file as you have here, but from another source, and import that. For some reason that did it.
    Nothing changed - I had already created the correct key and DWORD. But it didn't take effect until I imported that .reg file.
    Weird!

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Mark,

Odd. Are the contents of that .reg file the same as this one?

If so, then I suppose that it may just not have successfully fully merged last time.

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  12. Yes, exactly the same content, and thanks for your help. Happy now with no lock screen!

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

I'm just glad you got it sorted. *Smile

Brink, Aug 31, 2015
  14. KenB Win User
    Hi Guys,

Is there anyway to get rid of the annoying lock screen when your screen timeout kicks in?

I want the log in when starting my laptop but just want the screen to blank after 30 mins but not have to log in again.

Cheers
    KB

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ken, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Disabling the lock screen using this tutorial should prevent it from appearing anymore.

You might see if setting a "blank" screen saver with a 30 minute wait may work for this.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Oct 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enable Disable Lock

2. Enable or Disable Show Lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Show Lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen in Windows 10: [ATTACH]In Windows 10, you can decide how long you want each image to be […] This article Enable or Disable Show Lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  3. Windows screensaver disabled after lock screen slideshow is enabled.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows screensaver disabled after lock screen slideshow is enabled.: Hi, Many people seem to be having this issue yet it is still not resolved and there is no explanation to why this happens... I enabled a lock screen slideshow and it disabled my screensaver. I enabled my screensaver and it disabled my lock screen slideshow. I have know idea...
  4. Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Lock the Taskbar in Windows 10 Windows includes a special application desktop toolbar called the taskbar that shows on the bottom of a display screen by default. The taskbar allows you to...
  5. Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Changing Lock Screen Background in Windows 10 [img] Information By default in Windows 10, users are able to change their lock screen background image to Windows Spotlight,...
  6. Enable or Disable Lock Screen Slide Show in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Screen Slide Show in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Screen Slide Show in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Lock Screen Slide Show in Windows 10 [img] Information If users set their lock screen will play a slide show of pictures from chosen albums within added folders. This tutorial...
  7. Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows How to Enable or Disable Lock Computer in Windows [img] Information Locking your PC protects it from unauthorized use when you need to step away from the PC, and don't want to lock the computer, you will be taken to...
  8. Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Cortana on Lock Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Cortana on your Lock Screen in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of...
  9. Enable or Disable the Caps Lock Key in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable the Caps Lock Key in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable the Caps Lock Key in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable the Caps Lock Key in Windows 10 [img] Information Caps Lock is a button on a keyboard that changes if a letter should be capitalized or not. This tutorial will show you how to enable...
  10. Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Num Lock on Sign-in Screen in Windows 10 [img] Information Windows 10 has a new sign in screen that is more modern and touch friendly. By default, you need to dismiss the sign...