Windows 10: Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games.

Discus and support Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have clean installed the Anniversary Edition of W10 (x64 pro) and can not get the old W7/Vista games to launch and run. These were the original Chess... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mooly, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Mooly Win User

Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games.

I have clean installed the Anniversary Edition of W10 (x64 pro) and can not get the old W7/Vista games to launch and run. These were the original Chess Titans, Mahjong etc.

The files install as normal but the actual games will not launch from the main screen. Nothing happens. I've even tried running from the executable file in the relevant games folder and that doesn't work either.

Can anyone confirm this issue ?
    Also, if you have upgraded (rather than clean installed), can you confirm or otherwise that the games do/do not work.

This is a big disappointment as the Chess Titans was great.

:)

Mooly, Aug 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 on a 2Gb memory notebook

It was originally supplied with Vista I think. I put a new W7 install on it.

Mutineering, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Downgrade to original Windows 10 from a native Windows 10 Anniversary Edition computer

I recently got a new computer which came pre-installed with Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. I have had so many issues with glitches, that I think it is on the same level as Vista. I had none of these issues on my previous computer running the original
    Windows 10 and when i upgraded to Anniversary on that computer, i got the same glitches, so i had uninstalled the update on that computer as i would like to do with my new one. My question, therefore, is, is there a way to downgrade to the original Windows
    10 from a native Windows 10 Anniversary Edition computer?

jmschwerzler, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games.

Hello Mooly,

I just finished an upgrade to Build 14393.10. Then ran Windows Update, again.

Only an update for Windows Defender was added. Then, no new updates available.

My Windows 7 games are gone.

Instead, I download games from the "Store" many are free.

I did not see Chess Titans there.

Hope this help'
    John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Mooly Win User
    Thanks John.

I suspect (or at least its beginning to look like) MS have done some work to stop these games running in the latest version of 10. I did try the 32bit version in the last fast ring build and they ran OK.

So yours did not carry over *Sad

Mooly, Aug 2, 2016
  6. rosiesdad Win User
    I lost my Games today also. Same deal, I liked the "older games installed on ten" and after todays update they wont load.
    What a rip off. I do have the option of going back to windows 7 I guess.

I like the "look" of the older card games. Not liking the newer "apps"

rosiesdad, Aug 2, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Chess Titans is listed in the Games/Games Explorer when installing the Win8 version but nothing runs.

Berton, Aug 2, 2016
  8. Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games.

9. After I download the game, this is the game I got, look familiar?

Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games. [​IMG]

Looks like they want money. *Sad

10. Mooly Win User
    That's not how the MS games look *Smile Similar...ish but no, not the same.

Thanks for the link to the MS forums. Looks like they are getting some serious stick over this.

Mooly, Aug 2, 2016
  11. Mooly Win User
    Maybe... just maybe *Smile *Smile *Smile

I need to experiment a lot more with this. I created a 'Games' folder in the X86 program files and copied over the contents of the game from a working 32 bit install. You can then run or create a shortcut from the relevant .exe file in each folder.

I'll try more on this tomorrow. Maybe the 32 bit version would install straight off... to late to try today.

Mooly, Aug 2, 2016
  12. Bumpkin Win User
    We have the same problem here! I have been running the file (msgames_win8_x64.msi) that Jimbo45 made available when Windows8 came out.

About 6 months ago using the Windows 10 Insider Preview, all the games that were based on W7 stopped working. I hoped it was something that would be fixed before this last update. The "troubleshoot compatibility"feature doesn't help at all.

You have to believe MS has disabled the old games just to make you try using the crappy game apps in the store.

Bumpkin, Aug 2, 2016
  13. Bumpkin Win User

Wow! Sure hope you can find the post!

My wife will make me find a new home if I can't get the W7 games running again.

Bumpkin, Aug 3, 2016
  14. Hmm, I can't seem to find it, although I know I didn't imagine it. I'll keep looking around when I have time.

blackroseMD1, Aug 3, 2016
  15. Here you go, found some more info.

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Anniversary Update will not run original W7/Vista games. - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update run

2. W7 or vista and older OS looks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    W7 or vista and older OS looks: How can I make my w10 look like idk, w98 or xp or vista or something of the sort submitted by /u/justanotherdogno1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1by61mq/w7_or_vista_and_older_os_looks/
  3. Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 on laptop that was originally Vista: I have an HP laptop that was a 2008 model that was purchased at Sam's Club in 2009. It came with the Vista operating system and I have the product key and an install disk for that. I also have a Windows 7 disk that either came with the laptop or was mailed to me by HP....
  4. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  5. Horrible stutter in games after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Horrible stutter in games after Anniversary Update: I get an awful stutter when gaming after my PC updated itself to 1607. I play only two games, Battlefield 4 and QuakeLive. I always play with vsync on. Right now anything below 144 fps results in stuttering which feels like gaming with 50-60 fps in BF4 (gfx settings...
  6. Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old games on W10? Or can I run W7 in a box?: Hi all, just joined up. I don't use W10 myself yet but I'm about to set up an all-in-one PC for an elderly relative. She's a great fan of many old games, like Bejeweled, Flipwords, Text Twist, Luxor etc, and owns 20 or 30. But I'm beginning to wonder if old software...
  7. Updating to 10 using original key from vista to 7.

Updating to 10 using original key from vista to 7.: I am getting ready to upgrade to Win 10 on my Dell Studio 1535 laptop. I have been reviewing the forum to see what issues I may encounter and I have not encountered a solution (that may mean I did not understand) . First, I do have a legal copy (3) of win 7 home premium. I...
  8. Updates post Anniversary just keep running

Updates post Anniversary just keep running: Since the Anniversary update, Windows has updated 3 times. Each time I have restarted my PC to install, it just runs and runs ie the little whirly circle on the screen and an occasional blip on the hard disk light. The first time I let it run for 3 hours as I saw this being...
  9. Store apps not running after anniversary update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Store apps not running after anniversary update: Before the anniversary update all of my Windows Store apps were working properly. Now some of the apps will start the app splash screen like it is going to launch, then it exits back to the desktop. I have searched the issue of windows store apps not running on the internet....
  10. Running out of memory since Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running out of memory since Anniversary update: When I play DDO, I also have chrome and Explorer open. This was never a problem until the anniversary update. Now I get screen messages saying I need to close something because I am running out of memory. Task manager shows memory usage at 89 - 91%. Even after I closed...