Windows 10: Announcing the Microsoft Quantum Network

Discus and support Announcing the Microsoft Quantum Network in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Creating a scalable quantum computer will require the collective effort of many skilled and diverse teams. To reach that goal, over the past few years... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Brink Win User

Announcing the Microsoft Quantum Network

Source: Announcing the Microsoft Quantum Network - Microsoft Quantum

See also: Join the Microsoft Quantum Network

:)

Brink, Mar 1, 2019
  2. Joe Men Win User

called announce

I have provided the steps on how you can enable the Use Speech to announce caller ID in my initial response.

For your convenience, here the detailed steps:

• Launch the Settings app.
    • Tap Ease of Access.
    • Tap More options.
    • Tap the On/Off slider under the Use Speech to announce caller ID to set it on or off.
    Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Joe Men, Mar 1, 2019
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 1, 2019
  4. btarunr Win User

Announcing a Breakthrough in Quantum Communication

A team of scientists at the MPQ realizes a first elementary quantum network based on interfaces between single atoms and photons. Whether it comes to phoning a friend or to using the internet – our daily communication is based on sophisticated networks, with data being transferred at the speed of light between different nodes. It is a tremendous challenge to build corresponding networks for the exchange of quantum information. These quantum networks would differ profoundly from their classical counterparts: Besides giving insights into fundamental questions in physics, they could also have applications in secure communication and the simulation of complex many-body systems, or they could be used for distributed quantum computing. One prerequisite for functional quantum networks are stationary nodes that allow for the reversible exchange of quantum information.

A major breakthrough in this field has now been achieved by scientists in the group of Professor Gerhard Rempe, director at the Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics and head of the Quantum Dynamics division: The physicists have set up the first, elementary quantum network (Nature, DOI: 10.1038/nature11023, 12 April 2012). It consists of two coupled single-atom nodes that communicate quantum information via the coherent exchange of single photons. “This approach to quantum networking is particularly promising because it provides a clear perspective for scalability”, Professor Rempe points out.

Announcing the Microsoft Quantum Network 123a_thm.jpg

Quantum information is extremely fragile and cannot be cloned. In order to prevent alteration or even the loss of the information, it is necessary to have perfect control over all quantum network components. The smallest stationary memory for quantum information is a single atom, and single photons represent the perfect messengers. Efficient information transfer between an atom and a photon, however, requires strong interaction between the two, which cannot be achieved with atoms in free space. Following a proposal from Professor Ignacio Cirac (director at the MPQ and head of the Theory division), the group of Professor Rempe has invested many years working on systems in which single atoms are embedded in optical cavities. These cavities are composed of two highly reflecting mirrors placed at a very short distance. The emission of photons from an atom inside a cavity is directed and can therefore be sent to other network nodes in a controlled way. A photon entering the cavity is reflected between the mirrors several thousand times. In this way, the atom-photon interaction is strongly enhanced, and the atom can absorb the photon coherently and with high efficiency.

The first experimental challenge was to quasi-permanently trap the atom in the cavity. This was achieved via fine-tuned laser beams, meaning the least disturbance of the atom. In the next step, the physicists achieved controlled emission of single photons from the trapped atom. Finally, they could prove that the single-atom-cavity system represents a perfect interface for storing the information encoded in a single photon, and they were able to transfer it onto a second single photon after a certain storage time. The present work is another milestone on the way towards a large-scale quantum network. For the first time, two such systems were connected, and quantum information was exchanged between them with high efficiency and fidelity. The two systems, each representing a network node, are installed in two laboratories separated by 21 metres and are connected via a 60-metre long optical fibre.

Quantum networks exhibit peculiar properties not found in their classical counterparts. This is due to the fundamentally different behaviour of the exchanged information: while a classical bit represents either 1 or 0, a quantum bit can take both values at the same time, a phenomenon called “coherent superposition”. A measurement however projects the quantum bit onto one of the two values. In the single atom, the quantum information is encoded in a coherent superposition of two energy levels. When the atom at node A emits a photon, stimulated by a light pulses from a control laser, its quantum state is mapped onto the polarization state of the photon. Via the optical fibre the photon reaches node B where it is coherently absorbed. During this process, the quantum state originally prepared in atom A gets transferred onto the atom at node B. As a result, A is capable of receiving the next photon, while B is ready to send the stored information back to A or to any other node. It is this symmetric and reversible feature that makes the scheme scalable to arbitrary network configurations, consisting of many atom-cavity nodes. The atomic quantum states are read out by mapping them again onto the polarization of single photons which can easily be measured. “We were able to prove that the quantum states can be transferred much better than possible with any classical network. In fact, we demonstrate the feasibility of the theoretical approach developed by Professor Cirac,” Dr. Stephan Ritter, leader of the experiment, explains.

In yet another step the scientists succeeded in generating “quantum mechanical entanglement” between the two nodes. Entanglement is a feature unique to quantum objects. It connects them in such a way that their properties are strongly correlated in a non-trivial way, no matter how far they are separated in space. This phenomenon, predicted nearly a hundred years ago, was dubbed by Albert Einstein (who did not really believe in it) “spooky action at a distance”. In order to achieve entanglement between the two network nodes, the polarization of the single photon emitted by atom A is now entangled with the atomic quantum state. Once the photon gets absorbed, this entanglement gets transferred onto atom B. In fact, this is the first time that entanglement has been created between massive particles separated by such a large distance, making it the world’s “largest” quantum system with massive particles.

“We have realized the first prototype of a quantum network”, Stephan Ritter concludes. “We achieve reversible exchange of quantum information between the nodes. Furthermore, we can generate remote entanglement between the two nodes and keep it for about 100 microseconds, whereas the generation of the entanglement takes only about one microsecond. Entanglement of two systems separated by a large distance is a fascinating phenomenon in itself. However, it could also serve as a resource for the teleportation of quantum information. One day, this might not only make it possible to communicate quantum information over very large distances, but might enable an entire quantum internet.”
    Olivia Meyer-Streng

Original Publication:
    Stephan Ritter, Christian Nölleke, Carolin Hahn, Andreas Reiserer, Andreas Neuzner, Manuel Uphoff, Martin Mücke, Eden Figueroa, Jörg Bochmann, and Gerhard Rempe
    An elementary quantum network of single atoms in optical cavities
    Nature, DOI: 10.1038/nature11023, 12 April 2012

Source: Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics

btarunr, Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Announcing the Microsoft Quantum Network - Similar Threads - Announcing Microsoft Quantum

2. My Microsoft Windows indexer seems to be going quantum?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft Windows indexer seems to be going quantum?: My Microsoft Windows Indexer seems to be running in task manager and yet when I look at Indexing options it seems to not be running at all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-windows-indexer-seems-to-be-going/8301b631-ad10-4eb0-800c-7629702d63b7
  3. JBL quantum 200

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    JBL quantum 200: Hello, I have a question why can't the JBL quantumEngine find my JBL quantum 200?Is there a reason for this? And how should I solve this problem?Please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jbl-quantum-200/1e7e7b9c-9150-4282-8356-f8d47c81c37d
  4. Microsoft Quantum proves shallow quantum circuits provide advantage

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Quantum proves shallow quantum circuits provide advantage: We know that Shor’s algorithm can factor integers on a quantum computer exponentially faster than any known classical algorithm, and that there are problems, such as the simulation of physical systems as posed by Richard Feynman in the 1980s, that quantum computers can solve...
  5. Microsoft open sourcing Quantum Development Kit in GitHub

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft open sourcing Quantum Development Kit in GitHub: At Microsoft, our Quantum mission is to develop and deploy the world’s most scalable, secure, quantum computing system and to support a rich ecosystem of domain experts, developers, and researchers to solve today’s most challenging problems. To help achieve this mission we...
  6. Microsoft announces Northwest Quantum Nexus for quantum computing

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces Northwest Quantum Nexus for quantum computing: The Northwest is brimming with talented, dedicated people who can deliver quantum computing advances today and secure our quantum future for tomorrow. Today, at the inaugural Northwest Quantum Nexus Summit, we announced the Northwest Quantum Nexus, a coalition assembled by...
  7. Quantum Break stuck

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Quantum Break stuck: I tried to download Quantum Break but the game got stuck during the loading. I see that the disk usage is 0%. I don’t know what I really can do with it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/quantum-break-stuck/4a35a470-941d-4ec6-b4bf-5b4569fc7464"
  8. Announcing Microsoft Search

in Windows 10 News
    Announcing Microsoft Search: This week at Ignite 2018, we announced Microsoft Search. We’re delighted to announce that we are expanding that vision to encompass search both inside and outside of Microsoft 365. By applying artificial intelligence (AI) technology from Bing to the deep personalized insights...
  9. Firefox Quantum Question

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox Quantum Question: I've been trying out the new Firefox browser (version 58), and so far, like it. My question is: when running the browser in private window mode, is that the same security as using a VPN? The reason I ask is because my current VPN service expires in a couple of months, and may...
  10. Microsoft doubles down on quantum computing bet

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft doubles down on quantum computing bet: Microsoft is doubling down on its commitment to the tantalizing field of quantum computing, making a strong bet that it is possible to create a scalable quantum computer using what is called a topological qubit. Longtime Microsoft executive Todd Holmdahl – who has a...