Windows 10: Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser

Discus and support Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi there All those who are worried about Edge / IE11 sending stuff to GOOGLE / MS etc etc -- simply use the TOR browser -- 100% legal FREE system.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by jimbo45, Aug 29, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser

Hi there

All those who are worried about Edge / IE11 sending stuff to GOOGLE / MS etc etc -- simply use the TOR browser -- 100% legal FREE system. You can also block properly annoying popups etc even when connecting to "Those sites".

There's loads of paranoia these days - but TOR is reasonably anonymous, LEGAL and Free

Tor Browser

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 29, 2015

2. Making Tor Browser as default browser and configuring VPN (Windows 10)

It didn't work.

This is what I did.

I uninstalled Tor Browser and reinstalled it. When prompted to ask where to save it, I saved it here. C:/Users/Hewlett/AppData/Local/Tor Browser/Browser/firefox.exe

So all the files that comes with the installation of Tor Browser bundle are in AppData/Local.

Then. I opened Notepad, copy-pasted the contents and changed the path as instructed from C:\\Users\\MyUser\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe to C:\\Users\\Hewlett\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe

(Note: The line that I changed actually says "C:\\Users\\MyUser\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe,0" so I changed it to "C:\\Users\\Hewlett\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe,0"

I saved it using the extension .reg. Afterwards, I double-clicked the icon of the reg file hopingto run it. I restarted my computer hoping that it works.

But still, Tor Browser was not in the list of "set as default programs".

NOTE: These are the contents that I copy-pasted. (Beginning from the line that says "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00")

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Infamous capabilities:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tor Browser\Capabilities]

"ApplicationDescription"="Tor Browser - Anonymity Online"

"ApplicationIcon"="C:\\Users\\MyUser\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe,0"

"ApplicationName"="Tor Browser"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tor Browser\Capabilities\FileAssociations]

".htm"="TorBrowserURL"

".html"="TorBrowserURL"

".shtml"="TorBrowserURL"

".xht"="TorBrowserURL"

".xhtml"="TorBrowserURL"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tor Browser\Capabilities\URLAssociations]

"ftp"="TorBrowserURL"

"http"="TorBrowserURL"

"https"="TorBrowserURL"

; Register to Default Programs

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications]

"Tor Browser"="Software\\Tor Browser\\Capabilities"

; TorBrowserURL HANDLER:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TorBrowserURL]

@="Tor Browser Document"

"FriendlyTypeName"="Tor Browser Document"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TorBrowserURL\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TorBrowserURL\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TorBrowserURL\shell\open\command]

@="\"C:\\Users\\MyUser\\AppData\\Local\\Tor Browser\\Browser\\firefox.exe\" -osint -url \"%1\""

Hewlett Packard III, Aug 29, 2015
  3. is there any app for Nokia E51 to surf anonymously like hotspot shield

no i am not talking about browser i need an app which stream download and browse anonymously.

hassanification, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Geneo Win User

It is also the hub for the dark network and cyber crime, including narcotic sales, identity theft, piracy, etc. Its main purpose is to anonymize illicit activity. That's better?

Geneo, Aug 29, 2015
  5. Antilope Win User
    I would worry more about what unknown hackers put into the TOR browser than what Microsoft put into IE or Edge.

Antilope, Aug 29, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

TOR is a LEGIT project -- things like The dark web use their own stuff. You might just as well say "Guns don't kill people" - People Kill people.

I can't see anything wrong in wanting to keep browsing anonymous - especially with scamming being rife and the amount of leaks etc that happen now.

The FACILITY itself is NOT evil (although partly sponsored by US Govt - which some people *might* construe as an evil entity !!!!).

In any case you don't have to use "The TOR Browser" -- You can use what you like once on the TOR network. The TOR browser is only a package designed to make it easy to use for anybody.

It's not what MS puts into IE11 / Edge -- it's what sites send to all sorts of companies regarding your browsing -- ever wondered how you get specific spam and "special offers" all targeted particularly at YOU - so anonymous browsing cuts a load of that out.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 29, 2015
  7. Cliff S New Member
    It's there for journalist and people in countries where news is restricted(no names will be mentioned) from the government so they can reasonably safely get around these restriction. It's a tool, just like penetration software(or a knife for that matter), it's how you use it, that matters, not the software itself.

Cliff S, Aug 29, 2015
  8. Antilope Win User

Because big business works hand in hand with big government, and there have been leaks revealing some of this, I'm pretty sure every chip, every piece of firmware and every piece of software in our computers is riddled with back-doors. Look at all of the security holes that are constantly found and patched. Any attempt to mitigate this is probably futile. I just accept it for a fact and don't worry about it.

I do worry about what private/freelance hackers can do to you, however, and you can protect yourself from them (usually).

Antilope, Aug 29, 2015
  9. echrada Win User
    Paranoia - TOR is great and as said above 100% legit. I use it regularly and have done so for years.

echrada, Aug 29, 2015
  10. Thanks Jimbo. I have been pondering about the TOR browser (I have an OLD download I never used on my Vista boot (I do a dual boot, vista/Win10).

When things calm down I'm going to try it.

EDIT: @Geneo: That is the excuse the Gov't uses to tramp on your rights. Junk like:

If you have nothing to hide you don't need to worry abut random searches and privacy invasions.

Criminals have guns so you shouldn't unless you are a criminal.

We need to build a wall on the Southern Border (but not the northern one) like the communists did in Berlin to *protect freedom.*

Don't use TOR because criminals and hackers might use it.

Also, I would bet hackers and criminals have perused this site a time or two Geneo, does that mean we should all not be here?

DeathStalker, Aug 29, 2015
  11. Geneo Win User
    I am not the government and I have seen how it is used. The main function is for illicit activity, no matter what you spout. The real truth is that privacy and freedom of speech arguments are just subterfuge to mask the real purpose, which is to anonymize the network for piracy, drug dealing, and other illegal activities.

Geneo, Aug 30, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You only have to read some of the threads on these Forums -- even EDGE browser is getting Hijacked via "Ransomware" etc -- The TOR browser disables all that junk PROPERLY.

Just see this post for example

the edge just got hijacked - Windows 10 Forums

Of course some people use the Network for bypassing those futile blocks some countries (above all the UK and France ) try to put on well known torrent sites -- but you might just as well outlaw the sale of CARS since some people use motor vehicles in assisting crime.

Personally since using the TOR browser (based on Firefox) I haven't seen a SINGLE one of those SEX or Ransom popups when browsing, haven't had any extra spam when buying things on line and generally get a much better browsing experience.

To block all the junk click the S button as shown on the screenshot. The S button is at the extreme left.

Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser [​IMG]

For those using LEGIT torrent sites such as for Linux Distros etc - to use the Magnet links simply copy the magnet link via right menu and then in your torrent client (usually utorrent) open file and choose add torrent from URL and paste the link you copied from the browser.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 30, 2015
  13. Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser

Tor security concerns prompt largest dark market to suspend operations. reference here: Tor security concerns prompt largest dark market to suspend operations | PCWorld

Enjoy.

Lope

lopedoggie, Aug 30, 2015
  14. mrpumpkin Win User
    If I remember correctly, doesn't the tor (Firefox) browser come with HTTPS Everywhere and NoScript, but NoScript is set to allow scripts globally? I am sure there are numerous about:config modifications, but allowing JS still makes you vulnerable to Ransomware and other drive by attacks.

And if you modify the browser, eg start blocking scripts, you lose some anonymity. Or has it changed, been a long time since I tried it.

mrpumpkin, Aug 30, 2015
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

None of that is of any concern to "normal users" --it still takes substantial resources to "de-anon." TOR sites and the TOR project doesn't stand still either.

For some ISP's and businesses - they'd have to put too many expensive resources into decrypting this type of stuff --just commercially not viable.

I think also people are confusing the old PIRATE BROWSER released by the Pirate Bay with the TOR browser --different animals.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Anonymous Browsing - Use TOR Browser - Similar Threads - Anonymous Browsing TOR

2. NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER: Hello, I am not able to browse the specific web server using Edge browser, though it works using Google Chrome from the same PC. i ahve checked following already and could conclude the resason. " dns " is set to " automatic " on the network property NSLOOKUP givne the correct...
  3. NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER: Hello, I am not able to browse the specific web server using Edge browser, though it works using Google Chrome from the same PC. i ahve checked following already and could conclude the resason. " dns " is set to " automatic " on the network property NSLOOKUP givne the correct...
  4. NOT ABLE TO BROWSE USING EDGE BROWSER

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Downloading Tor Browser, Baidu Browser or Colibri Browser, going to Storage in Settings...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading Tor Browser, Baidu Browser or Colibri Browser, going to Storage in Settings...: Hi, I do not want to download Tor Browser or another browser that is not Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, Brave or IE 11 Internet Explorer 11.Does downloading Colibri or Lunascape Browser make changing value to system apps to throw me a window with this message: 'Extended...
  6. How to set Tor as a default browser?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to set Tor as a default browser?: I'm trying to set Tor as my default browser in Windows 10 (NOT for illegal purposes JUST for privacy). But when I get to the menu for selecting a default browser in the default apps section Tor does not appear. Any guesses on how to fix that? submitted by /u/Radi_BG...
  7. Tor Browser - download from Github as Tor project server down

in Browsers and Email
    Tor Browser - download from Github as Tor project server down: Hi folks Tor project site seems to be down at the moment (Thur approx 14.00 CET) --however Tor can still be downloaded from GITHUB Cheers jimbo 134159
  8. New Release of Tor Browser 8.0

in Windows 10 News
    New Release of Tor Browser 8.0: For the past year, we have been collecting feedback on how we can make Tor Browser work better for you. Tor Browser 8.0, our first stable release based on Firefox 60 ESR, is now available from the Tor Browser Project page and also from our distribution directory. This...
  9. I was going to use Tor browser then i found this any truth??

in Browsers and Email
    I was going to use Tor browser then i found this any truth??: so i was going to use Tor browser to try it out and so forth and i found this wired article on the net any truth to this if so i stay they heck away from Tor browser here is the link If You Use Tor Browser, The FBI Just Labeled You a Criminal 100913
  10. Tor browser error: 0xc000000d

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tor browser error: 0xc000000d: Hi, Tor browser was working well for me, but after installing Firefox Developer Edition 64bit browser, ‎I've got a problem when I open Tor browser and it does not work as I get this message: [img] ‎I also deleted the Firefox Developer Edition 64bit browser, deleted Tor...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. TOR Browser NOKIA E51