Windows 10: Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread.

Discus and support Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since the Win10 1709 update, my network has gone off the rails. I'm hoping you folks can help me get it back. I have three computers connected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WaltW, Dec 1, 2017.

1. WaltW Win User

Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread.

Ever since the Win10 1709 update, my network has gone off the rails. I'm hoping you folks can help me get it back.

I have three computers connected through a router. An office computer, shop computer and a laptop. The office and shop are hard wired and the laptop is wireless.

Immediately following the update I had absolutely nothing in the way of connectivity. I found the update had changed the workgroup names back to the default name "Workgroup". After changing this, I now have partial connectivity. The office can connect to the laptop and the shop can connect to the laptop and the laptop has full connectivity with everything. The office and shop don't even list themselves in network computers.

Here's a shot of the network information on the office computer.

Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread. [​IMG]

The shop computer is the same except says Network2 rather than Network and Local Area Connection rather than Ethernet.
    The laptop says ATT383 (router name), and Wi-Fi (ATT383).

All of my network connections are dhcp. I read in one place that this is correct and another that said to make them static. Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with the issue but felt I should throw it out there.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions,
    Walt

:)

WaltW, Dec 1, 2017

2. Sharing problem on Win 10

I have 3 computers installed win 10 education version.

Now I have 2 questions:

1. 3 computers are in the same public lan. when I changed one's workgroup name, other computers can still see this computer in the network. How to use workgroup correctly?

2. 3 computers are in the same public lan. I shared a folder in one computer, how can I make only one specific another computer's account visit this folder, while other accounts can't see or visit it.

thanks.

YongOuYang, Dec 1, 2017
  3. Want windows 10 machine to rejoin a workgroup and see files on XP machines

This was working but with the last Windows update my Windows 10 machine no longer sees the Workgroup it belongs to. I can find no instructions anywhere on how to get it to see the other Workgroup machines again and to be seen by them. What happened? How
    do I fix it?

The Workgroup name is intact and has not changed on the Windows 10 machine but it can't find the network or the workgroup. Network Discovery is turned on. This had been working just fine for over a year such that I could share files and printers.

Bernard Corrigan, Dec 1, 2017
  4. johnpd Win User

I assume you are talking about the computers not seeing one another in the Network section of File Explorer. Microsoft really messed things up with this and they are aware of it. Why they are not doing something to fix it is unknown. There are a couple of workarounds for this.

1. If you have a router that has the capability of working as the "master browser", this would be the best option.
    2. Otherwise as a temporary fix, if you enter the UNC name (as "\\<computer name>") of each missing computer in the File Explorer Network address bar, the computers should pop up. Unfortunately you would probably have to do this each time you restart a computer.

Good luck,
    JohnD

johnpd, Dec 1, 2017
  5. WaltW Win User
    This is really not what I wanted to hear.
    I tried your suggestion of entering the UNC name and that does work.
    Thing is, most of my files are consolidated on the office computer and I can't use this method to open them in the shop.
    I would need to transfer the file to the shop, work with it, then transfer it back.
    Thanks for the info John.

WaltW, Dec 1, 2017
  6. WaltW Win User
    Well, the work around works much better than I thought it would. After my last post, I realized the syntax you used in the address bar is the same as that used to set up a shortcut. I went out to the shop and, sure enough, even though the network is not showing, the shortcuts work just fine. I can get inside any program, navigate to the directory I want through the shortcut, and it will open and save normally.

I'm marking this as solved until Microsoft gets off their duff.

Thanks again John.

WaltW, Dec 2, 2017
  7. Barman58 Win User
    As another workaround, you could set up a homegroup on one of the hardwired computers, and join the other two to the homegroup and see if that allows you access what you want to - avoid setting up the first homegroup client on the wireless laptop as a small number of wireless networks have issues with being the "Base Station"

Barman58, Dec 2, 2017
  8. WaltW Win User

I tried the homegroup thing. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it didn't give me much access at all.

WaltW, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Another can't see other shares in Workgroup thread. - Similar Threads - Another can't shares

2. One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.: 1 PC one is connecting wirelessly to a TP-Link access point.2 The TP-Link is wired to an ethernet switch3 PC two is wired to the same ethernet switch4 PC one is running Windows 11 Pro5 PC two is running Windows 10 Pro6 PC one has an IP Address like 192.160.1.107 PC two has an...
  3. One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One PC in the same workgroup can't connect to a share on the other.: 1 PC one is connecting wirelessly to a TP-Link access point.2 The TP-Link is wired to an ethernet switch3 PC two is wired to the same ethernet switch4 PC one is running Windows 11 Pro5 PC two is running Windows 10 Pro6 PC one has an IP Address like 192.160.1.107 PC two has an...
  4. I can't see other Pc's in my workgroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't see other Pc's in my workgroup: I worder if there is a service which isn't running on my Pc because I can't see my streaming unit or any other Pc's in my workgroup. The Pc is new and on my laptop I can see the units in my workgroup but not on this Pc. I have compared the two Pc's sharing configuration and I...
  5. Why can't I see other workgroup computers in Network?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why can't I see other workgroup computers in Network?: Why can't I see other workgroup computers in Network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-see-other-workgroup-computers-in/9ed3297c-4660-4a7d-b237-079eaa692ae2
  6. Computers can't see each other on workgroup

Computers can't see each other on workgroup: Recently added both laptops to a workgroup as suggested here to enable file sharing and it worked perfectly. Then suddenly today 1 of the computers can't see the other one. Laptop 1 can't see laptop 2 1 did have a Pin as security while 2 had a password. I've changed 1 to...
  7. Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder

Can't see the Computers on WorkGroup, or access an NAS shared folder: Hi, I have a home network that is a simple workgroup. There is an NAS that has some shared folders on the network, with some media servers, etc. I have a desktop computer attached to the router through cable, some laptops, tablets, cell phone, etc. that are attached to the...
  8. Solved: Can't see other computers in Workgroup on Windows 10

Solved: Can't see other computers in Workgroup on Windows 10: Hi all, I'm finding Windows 10 enjoyable and pleasant for the most part. Unfortunately, some things that are easy to find or to do (probably due to years of experience) in Windows 7 and 8/8.1 are not easy to find, assuming they exist at all, in Windows 10 build 10130....
  9. Windows 10 PC can't see other shares in Workgroup

Windows 10 PC can't see other shares in Workgroup: We set up our small business network as a Workgroup awhile ago with all Windows XP computers. Some have been since upgraded to Windows 7, others to Windows 10. The most important issue is a folder on an XP machine that all others in the network need to be able to access....
  10. Cannot see other computers in workgroup

Cannot see other computers in workgroup: I have a home network defined by workgroup (not homegroup). Three computers are Windows 10 (vers 1703) and one is Windows Vista. One of the Windows 10 computers can not see any of the other network computers. Nor can it see any of the network devices (including the network...