Windows 10: Another CCleaner Question...

Discus and support Another CCleaner Question... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Last week’s CCleaner thread prompted another question, but I didn’t want to hijack that thread (again). I’ve used CCleaner for years across multiple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jamis, Oct 1, 2019.

1. jamis Win User

Another CCleaner Question...

Last week’s CCleaner thread prompted another question, but I didn’t want to hijack that thread (again). I’ve used CCleaner for years across multiple versions of Windows to clean up after various browsers. Other functions I’ve used it is for the Secure Delete and the Free Space Wipe features. Normally, I have CCleaner set for 3 times overwrite. I may be a bit paranoid, but I am wondering what others think about usefulness of the overwrite function.

:)

jamis, Oct 1, 2019

2. CCleaner

> Is it safe to install ccleaner on my pc?

Depends...

Piriform (the maker of CCleaner etc) was bought by Avast in July 2017 and there was this nasty incident...

All CCleaner versions are bundling Avast AV and/or various Google products such as Google Chrome, a Google toolbar and possibly other products....

Microsoft Community has seen quite a few of related threads.

Recently more and more threads are popping up in the Piriform/CCleaner forum which hint at even more questionable methods...

Here are a few recent example threads:

IMO, CCleaner is not unproblematic and has to be treated carefully.

I, personally, would not recommend CCleaner to inexperienced and/or not so tech-savvy persons...

Suggestion to inform yourself before installing CCleaner (or any other product) and to always, always keep your eyes wide open during installation (watch out for any bundled softwares etc etc).

You also might want to read this article (in case you don't use an ad blocker: ignore all advertisements):

https://www.howtogeek.com/172820/beginner-geek-what-does-ccleaner-do-and-should-you-use-it/

WRT to CCleaner on Windows 10:

According to
    this
    post Windows 10 blocks older versions: "CC v5.27 and older, (or somewhere around there) are no longer deemed safe by MS and automatically blocked when starting."

HTH,

Julia

Jsssssssss, Oct 1, 2019
  3. ccleaner

Does anyone use ccleaner?? I know some people that use it and say its amazing! Any suggestions on a better small scale computer cleaner?

michaeltyson, Oct 1, 2019
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Latest CCleaner Version Released

@Brink

New Update for CCleaner

Another CCleaner Question... [​IMG]

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 CCleaner v5.40

Another CCleaner Question... cc4_128.png

The Piriform team would like to announce the latest release of CCleaner for Windows.
    This update adds more cleaning for Edge and a screen where you can review your subscription status. Additionally, the Avast offer in the CCleaner installer is no longer shown if you have previously declined it.
    If you have suggestions for what you'd like to see next in CCleaner, please drop by our forums and let us know in our suggestions area.
    Browser Cleaning

• Edge: Added new 'Set aside tabs' cleaning rule
    Windows Cleaning

• Added warning for 'Old prefetch data' cleaning rule
    General

• Minor user interface improvements
    • Minor bug fixes

OldMike65, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Another CCleaner Question... - Similar Threads - Another CCleaner Question

2. Another question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Another question: How would i download a file iso image for windows 10 for a vm or oracle vm the problem i have is "virtual machine failed to boot that might be caused by missing boot or iso"...
  3. Another question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Another question: How would i download a file iso image for windows 10 for a vm or oracle vm the problem i have is "virtual machine failed to boot that might be caused by missing boot or iso"...
  4. Another Partitions Question

Another Partitions Question: Seems every time Windows does a major upgrade it adds another recovery partition.They aren't that large by them selves but add them up to over 1 gb. I can really use that space.Can anyone explain this?James...
  5. another question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    another question: i have also another question, i frienquently have blue screens that crash my computer, how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/another-question/e3bf001e-011f-4d4b-9be3-08255afeb101
  6. ccleaner - office 2019 question

ccleaner - office 2019 question: Hey guys. I did a fresh install windows 10, ccleaner and office 2019 professional plus When I open ccleaner and then click custom clean and click on applications, it says office 2016 not 2019 If someone here has office 2019 pro plus with ccleaner can you kindly open cc and...
  7. Another activation question....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Another activation question....: Okay, I have 2 completely identical Intel NUC 5i5ryh units, same memory and same M.2 SSD. Other than serial numbers, they are identical units. I had genuine Windows 7 ultimate loaded on each. I upgraded one of them to windows 10 pro and got it setup 100% with the apps,...
  8. Ccleaner question

Ccleaner question: This is a Windows Vista question, but I'm sure someone here will have the answer. I've been using CCleaner on my Win10 laptop, but just added it to my Vista desktop, which is shared by my wife and myself. Do I need to run this app on both mine and hers, or does running it on...
  9. CCleaner Question

CCleaner Question: I'm wondering why CCleaner shows it is cleaning IE temporary files when I never use IE? Just curious. Windows 10 Home, version 1607 78861
  10. CCleaner question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CCleaner question: I finally took the free upgrade today and I ran the CCleaner free program and the registry scan came up with a ton of errors. Should I clean them all and use the save the file feature? or just leave it alone? Thanks! *Smile 55144