Windows 10: Another green tick overlays on desktop icons question.

Discus and support Another green tick overlays on desktop icons question. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am aware this issue has come up many times before, but: 1 I can't find a resent post on the topic. 2 None of the solutions I've found work. 3 I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by VarkSter, Aug 26, 2020.

1. VarkSter Win User

Another green tick overlays on desktop icons question.

I am aware this issue has come up many times before, but:

1 I can't find a resent post on the topic.

2 None of the solutions I've found work.

3 I have some more specific information that may help identify the problem.

First, what I've tried.

1 Refreshing the desktop with both F5 and the right-click method.

2 Rebuilding the icon cache both by deleting all the iconcache and thumbnail files, and by rebuilding the cache using another method that I can't seem to find now.

3 Checking that the Desktop isn't in my OneDrive's list.

3 Using the 'Disk Clean-up' option in the drive's properties.

3 Checking that File Explorer's "Always show availability status" is disabled.
    4 Setting "Always show icons, not thumbnails" option in File Explorer.
    5 Changing the icon size.

Now, some new information.

1 The green ticks are seemingly random. Some icons have them; some don't. I can't discern any pattern to it.

2 I do have Norton running, but I'm pretty sure it's not that because of the next point. Although I've checked that the desktop is not in my Norton backup list. Actually it is now; it's explicitly Excluded.

3 When I select the properties for the effected icons, a 'backup' tab appears. The tab indicates that Last Backup is not available. When I close the properties making absolutely no changes to anything, the icon overlay changes to a grey square with a "/" in it.

4 The icons all appeared randomly after a reboot. I'd not changed any settings, and not performed any software updates.

The grey icons I can just about live with, but they are pretty intrusive. They also replace the shortcut overlay.

Addendum:

While typing all this up, I found a solution that actually works for me. Rather than simply not post, I'll add the solution in case it helps someone else.

I deleted one Steam game icon, then recreated it from Steam this sort of fixed it. But I currently have many Steam icons, and doing this for all of them would take absolutely ages.

So just on a whim, I created an empty folder on the desktop and moved the next effected icon into that, back. That fixed it too!

Doing this for all icons will be a lot quicker, but I'm still not happy. It will still waste a lot of time and already has, and I'm still no closer to understanding why this has happened. Nor why this issue keeps coming up or why there is no simple, universal way of fixing it.

:)

VarkSter, Aug 26, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User
  3. devdeep60 Win User
    Green tick symbol on desktop icons

Hi
    I have annoying green ticks on SOME of my desktop icons (see example below). Is there a way to get rid of these please?

devdeep60, Aug 26, 2020
  4. skrambam Win User

Unknown icon overlay on Windows 10 desktop icons

My Windows 10 desktop icons sport an unknown icon overlay. Here's a screen shot of it which suggest a couple of stick people. The check mark on a green disk is OneDrive sync and is OK. Next to that is what appears to be a stick people couple.

Another green tick overlays on desktop icons question. 28fe1d25-324d-4700-b218-37db40a9cf34.png

The overlay only appears on the actual Desktop icons and not in the Desktop folder view.

Do you know what that stick couple overlay represents?

skrambam, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Another green tick overlays on desktop icons question. - Similar Threads - Another green tick

2. Azure AD Joined machine missing green ticks on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Azure AD Joined machine missing green ticks on desktop icons: We've just started using Autopilot to join machines to Azure AD. The machines are NOT in the on-premise Active Directory and are not joined to our local domain. There's one odd thing that we've seen and that is the green ticks on the desktop icons are not present when looking...
  3. Azure AD Joined machine missing green ticks on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Azure AD Joined machine missing green ticks on desktop icons: We've just started using Autopilot to join machines to Azure AD. The machines are NOT in the on-premise Active Directory and are not joined to our local domain. There's one odd thing that we've seen and that is the green ticks on the desktop icons are not present when looking...
  4. Azure AD Joined machine missing green ticks on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Desktop shortcut icon turned into some weired green tick signs

Desktop shortcut icon turned into some weired green tick signs: My kid brother tried to did something in control panel to open some kind of port thing in window defender firewall, and some shortcut files icon turned into weird green tick signs...
  6. OneDrive overlay on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive overlay on desktop icons: I have some - not all - desktop icons that have what I think is the OneDrive overlay on them, a white circle with a tick. And, I'd like to remove the overlay. I know there are techniques for doing that, I'm just wondering why they're so hard to get rid of. The icons are all...
  7. Green tick symbol on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Green tick symbol on desktop icons: Hi I have annoying green ticks on SOME of my desktop icons (see example below). Is there a way to get rid of these please? 128510
  8. Green Checkmarks/ Ticks on desktop icons

Green Checkmarks/ Ticks on desktop icons: Since I have got my laptop, I have noticed green checkmarks on the desktop icons. These are irritating. I know this is regarding OneDrive but how to remove them?...
  9. Another Desktop Icon Question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Another Desktop Icon Question: O.k......so I have my desktop icons set up and working, one small problem that I need help with.......some of the icons have their ''own'' emblem.....and some don't.......for instance, Glary Utilities has the Glary emblem, Malwarebytes has the Malwarebytes emblem, and so...
  10. OneDrive Green Checkmarks (icon overlays) disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Green Checkmarks (icon overlays) disappeared: I don't remember which build it changed. *Sad It was fairly recently (within the last 2 weeks or so). In any case I appreciate your help and will assume that this is the way it should be now. Thanks again for your help. Mark