Windows 10: Another High Latency Thread / High ISR & DPC

Discus and support Another High Latency Thread / High ISR & DPC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! The issue: So, as the thread subject suggests, I'm having some serious hardware latency issues with my graphics and audio kernels. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Doryan Miller, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Another High Latency Thread / High ISR & DPC

Hello!

The issue:

So, as the thread subject suggests, I'm having some serious hardware latency issues with my graphics and audio kernels. The problem manifests as pops and clicks in audio, usually accompanied with a massive drop in overall PC responsiveness--it's gotten to the point of taking in excess of 10 seconds to even update my mouse position--or if the responsiveness is low enough, my computer just shuts off altogether. The popping and cracking happens even after a fresh boot with nothing open but a tab on YouTube. It seems to occur more with web browsers open while gaming, and notably less with no browsers open. ( Yes, they are all up to date. I typically use FireFox, but I've been poking at Chrome to see how things run with it, and the issue does indeed still persist. ) The issue is realized while playing World of Warcraft as a significant frame rate drop. I usually hang around 80-100 FPS doing nothing, and have dropped to less than 1 FPS--sounds impossible, but believe me....it is. Interestingly enough, if I simply reload my user interface in game, it sometimes goes away until a further reload or enough time passes. I've had this issue for over a year now, and it's only gotten worse as time has passed, and it's beginning to become detrimental to even being able to use my computer for less C/GPU intensive tasks. That said, here are my stats.

Computer name: DESKTOP-NRNR1U1

OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17763 (x64)

Hardware: MS-7850, MSI, Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850)

CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz

GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970

Logical processors: 4

Processor groups: 1

RAM: 16332 MB total

What I've tried:

I've sifted through over half a decade of posts regarding related issues and from what I can see it's basically a trial and error process for figuring out what's the root cause. I've followed most of the instructions posted in threads here and elsewhere to no avail. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of my audio and video drivers, disabled advanced features on those drivers, turned off NVIDIA enhancements to sound, rolled back the very same drivers, disabled physical ports not in use--e.g. some USB ports, extra a/v lines in/out--disabled all real-time applications running, updated literally everything from BIOS to Windows itself. Nothing has worked and the error persists. Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

LatencyMon Dump:

Below are the results from LatencyMon.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 14340.80

Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 5.417743

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 14335.20

Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.592265

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

REPORTED ISRs

Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 10012.01750

Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.464963

Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.583767

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 1258484

ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0

ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 354

ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 511

ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 1187

ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs

DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 17283.671250

Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 419.35 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.216383

Driver with highest DPC total execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.554121

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 3810173

DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0

DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 565

DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 81

DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 517

DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: system

Total number of hard pagefaults 16454

Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 8248

Number of processes hit: 94

PER CPU DATA

CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 66.984845

CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 10012.01750

CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 21.322807

CPU 0 ISR count: 1201137

CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 17283.671250

CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 18.901094

CPU 0 DPC count: 3526731

CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 17.843233

CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 7667.93750

CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 1.550123

CPU 1 ISR count: 55937

CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 4938.701250

CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 1.649164

CPU 1 DPC count: 137761

CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 13.564233

CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 3711.1450

CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.149511

CPU 2 ISR count: 3340

CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 5009.251250

CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.70990

CPU 2 DPC count: 78497

CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 12.177555

CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 1027.076250

CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.002039

CPU 3 ISR count: 347

CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 3099.746250

CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 0.595057

CPU 3 DPC count: 68445

:)

Doryan Miller, Mar 12, 2019
  2. Macl64 Win User

High DPC/ ISR Latency

Hello community,

So by way of background, for a while now I have experienced issues regarding audio crackles and pops. This primarily occurs when using Cubase 9.5 but also exists outside of the software too, occasionally. After searching for solutions, I came across LatencyMon
    and decided to start testing (the results of which can be found below). I should add that when trying it for the past few days, I have noticed that the 'Highest measured interrupt to process latency' changes between HDAudBus.sys and Wdf01000.sys.

Steps I have taken so far:

1) The first thing I did was simply to plug out all of the USB devices that were inserted in my computer one by one. One potentially notable piece of information is that I switched audio interface very recently - from the Focusrite 2i2 to the Audient iD4.
    However, I experienced these issues with my last audio interface too. This step produced no differences.

2) I then, through device manager, disabled a huge variety of drivers one by one to see if there was a particular driver causing the issue. This primarily included network, audio and USB drivers. This step produced no differences.

3) Following this I downloaded Driver Booster and tried to update all outdated drives, of which there were many. This step produced no differences.

Pretty sure there were a few other minor things I have tried too such as disabling WiFi, antivirus and more. All produced no result.

More than happy to provide more details if necessary. Any help is greatly appreciated.

LatencyMon:

Code:
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________CONCLUSION_________________________________________________________________________________________________________Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in
     your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:04:26  (h:mm:ss) on all processors._________________________________________________________________________________________________________SYSTEM INFORMATION_________________________________________________________________________________________________________Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-9TGICJAOS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134 (x64)Hardware:                                             N552VX, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHzLogical processors:                                   4Processor groups:                                     1RAM:                                                  12156 MB total_________________________________________________________________________________________________________CPU SPEED_________________________________________________________________________________________________________Reported CPU speed:                                   2304 MHzNote: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results._________________________________________________________________________________________________________MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES_________________________________________________________________________________________________________The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution
     of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   2250.220222Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   5.684522Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2190.220275Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       2.232872_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ REPORTED ISRs_________________________________________________________________________________________________________Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              149.830729Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft CorporationHighest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.021921Driver with highest ISR total time:                   Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft CorporationTotal time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.023631ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   82832ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0_________________________________________________________________________________________________________REPORTED DPCs_________________________________________________________________________________________________________DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              1638.547743Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft CorporationHighest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.562742Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         Wdf01000.sys - Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime, Microsoft CorporationTotal time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.710236DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   944181DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                162DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              4DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS_________________________________________________________________________________________________________Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from
     disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were
     hit.Process with highest pagefault count:                 winword.exeTotal number of hard pagefaults                       643Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          323Number of processes hit:                              18_________________________________________________________________________________________________________ PER CPU DATA_________________________________________________________________________________________________________CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       17.051465CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                149.830729CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.251434CPU 0 ISR count:                                      82832CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1638.547743CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   7.498538CPU 0 DPC count:                                      938734_________________________________________________________________________________________________________CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       6.104686CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                227.875868CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.026960CPU 1 DPC count:                                      2310_________________________________________________________________________________________________________CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.310433CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                203.476563CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.009951CPU 2 DPC count:                                      1081_________________________________________________________________________________________________________CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       5.152465CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                279.683160CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.021462CPU 3 DPC count:                                      2222_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Macl64, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Windows 10 High Dpc Latency

Windows 10 High Dpc Latency please help me someone

donnieadler, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Another High Latency Thread / High ISR & DPC

Windows 10 - High DPC Latency And ISR Cause Audio Dropouts And Lag

In most cases high DPC latencies occurs due to hardware problems or incorrect drivers. Please, double-check you have installed not the newest but correct drivers. There is third-party utility DPC Latency Checker to help diagnose problem/u

Igor Leyko, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Another High Latency Thread / High ISR & DPC

1. Another High Latency Thread / High ISR & DPC - Similar Threads - Another High Latency

2. Audio cracking and high dpc latency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio cracking and high dpc latency: I have been struggling to solve an issue with audio cracking and popping on my pc. Using latency mon it is showing that ndis.sys is the highest dpc routine and that dxgkrnl.sys is the highest isr routine but sometimes when I'm having the audio issues latency mon doesn't...
  3. Audio cracking and high dpc latency

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audio cracking and high dpc latency: I have been struggling to solve an issue with audio cracking and popping on my pc. Using latency mon it is showing that ndis.sys is the highest dpc routine and that dxgkrnl.sys is the highest isr routine but sometimes when I'm having the audio issues latency mon doesn't...
  4. DPC/ISR latency

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DPC/ISR latency: OS: Windows 10 Pro 20H2Mainboard: Gigabyte Aorus B450 mBIOS: F61c latest bios Standard BIOS settings- C-states are deactivatedCustom Build from January 2020Hello,I have a problem with DPC/ISR latency. Sometimes windows open/close slow and intensive processes fail and cause...
  5. High DPC latency in windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High DPC latency in windows 10: Recently, I have updated windows to version 2004 and i have found the DPC latency to rise. I used LatencyMon application to check the DPC latency and found the main problematic drivers are ndis.sys, acpi.sys, Hdaudbus.sys and dxgkrnl.sys. Here are the links to latencyMon and...
  6. High DPC Latency - Computer freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High DPC Latency - Computer freezing: [ATTACH]Hello, My computer show a high DPC Latency and its cutting sound and freezing all time, how can i solve this? Already did sfc /scan now and the result shows that all normal, no integrity violation, my video card driver is updated. Can u help me? I had formated my...
  7. High DPC Latency

High DPC Latency: Hi everyone! Lately, I've been facing such a high DPC latency and it's annoying so much. I'm currently using an Inspiron 14 5458 with Windows 1909. Drivers are all updated I used latencymon to check what was wrong and I see something wrong with ACPI.sys and ndis.sys. I...
  8. High DPC latency

in Windows 10 Customization
    High DPC latency: I use my Dell XPS for recording and live playback but the system suffers from high DPC latency caused by ACPI driver. I removed Dell audio drivers and installed those from RealTek with no avail. Latency is an issue because I need this computer for live recording. Please your...
  9. High DPC/ ISR Latency

High DPC/ ISR Latency: Hello community, So by way of background, for a while now I have experienced issues regarding audio crackles and pops. This primarily occurs when using Cubase 9.5 but also exists outside of the software too, occasionally. After searching for solutions, I came across...
  10. DPC latency tests. High latency?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DPC latency tests. High latency?: Hello *Smile I have done some latency tests on my computer after I began to get some audio popping in my headphones. I have had this problem for a few months now. I cant seem to understand if my results are okay or not, which is why Im asking you. No games was running while...