Windows 10: Another knock on OneDrive: Corrupt install, slows laptop

Discus and support Another knock on OneDrive: Corrupt install, slows laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Installed Win10 Pro. Dual boot with Ubuntu, 1 Tb drive, Lenovo W541. Two things 1) File explorer was corrupted - certain names ( e.g. "Documents")... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WizardOfBoz, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Another knock on OneDrive: Corrupt install, slows laptop

Installed Win10 Pro. Dual boot with Ubuntu, 1 Tb drive, Lenovo W541. Two things
    1) File explorer was corrupted - certain names ( e.g. "Documents") pointed to wrong directory (in OneDrive)
    2) The computer was incredibly slow. The 4840mx chip is not state of the art, but it shouldn't suck.

With help from Shawn Brink's bat files, and his explanation, I figured out that somehow the install had conflated normal local folders with those on OneDrive. Steps to rectify:
    1) Shut down OneDrive
    2) Control Panel used to uninstall OneDrive
    3) Shawn's bat files used to check all my file pointer locations to ensure that they pointed to

c:\user\myname\folder

and not

c:\user\myname\onedrive\folder

4) Once File explorer pointed to the correct places, I deleted the files in c:\user\myname\onedrive, and the folder itself.

I believe that the issue was installing Windows and turning OneDrive on too early (or at all).

To give you an idea, the Passmark eval on my CPU went from 4850 or so to 7258. Now things run more like I expected.

Probably will not use OneDrive again. Something that slows your computer down, and takes hours to fix, is by definition a virus.

:)

WizardOfBoz, Aug 11, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Aug 11, 2020
  3. Mayra Aqu Win User
    Updates slowing computer performance

Hi,

Listed below are possible causes why Windows is running slow:

• Too many application installed.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.
    • Outdated drivers.

For us to assist you with the concern, we suggest following the steps on this
    article

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Aug 11, 2020
  4. Namslas90 Win User

Another knock on OneDrive: Corrupt install, slows laptop

HELP! My Laptop has gone into SLOW MOTION!

Should be able to get a "step-by-step here;

http://support.dell.com/?~ck=mn

Namslas90, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

Another knock on OneDrive: Corrupt install, slows laptop

1. Another knock on OneDrive: Corrupt install, slows laptop - Similar Threads - Another knock OneDrive

2. OneDrive installation is corrupted and can't be uninstalled or reinstalled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive installation is corrupted and can't be uninstalled or reinstalled.: Hi,I have OneDrive installed, and somehow the installation got corrupted. It will only show the tray icon and when clicking it, it's just white and I can't do anything.So I thought I just reinstall OneDrive. But when trying to uninstall via Apps, I get the message:...
  3. OneDrive installation is corrupted and can't be uninstalled or reinstalled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive installation is corrupted and can't be uninstalled or reinstalled.: Hi,I have OneDrive installed, and somehow the installation got corrupted. It will only show the tray icon and when clicking it, it's just white and I can't do anything.So I thought I just reinstall OneDrive. But when trying to uninstall via Apps, I get the message:...
  4. Another OneDrive mystery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Another OneDrive mystery: Here's another mysterious anomaly in OneDrive. I use the same work OneDrive account on both a work laptop and a home personal computer. I am able to connect to the work laptop remotely, so I am often able to observe what is happening with the same OneDrive account on both...
  5. Another OneDrive mystery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Another OneDrive mystery: Here's another mysterious anomaly in OneDrive. I use the same work OneDrive account on both a work laptop and a home personal computer. I am able to connect to the work laptop remotely, so I am often able to observe what is happening with the same OneDrive account on both...
  6. Another OneDrive mystery

7. Onedrive Folder Corrupted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Onedrive Folder Corrupted: [ATTACH] I Cannot Delete Onedrive. Because This. Please Help Me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-folder-corrupted/400df75f-5437-4aae-9f86-63b2d6770b37
  8. Sync files in OneDrive from one laptop to another laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sync files in OneDrive from one laptop to another laptop: A few years back when Onedrive free capacity was dramatically reduced by Microsoft I stopped using it. I found it hard to get straight forward instructions to disable Onedrive & download all the files that had previously only been stored on Onedrive to my local harddrive so...
  9. onedrive software corruption

onedrive software corruption: So running the software version on a windows 10 laptop for some reason every 5-6 times or so, I boot the pc up in a cold boot, onedrive doesn't launch upon startup, and the service to do so is enabled. but sometimes upon boot it does not, and then I check it. the icon is not...
  10. 1 HDD corrupts Windows 10 while another slows down drastically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    1 HDD corrupts Windows 10 while another slows down drastically: So, in my desktop setup, I have 2 hard drives, one is a 2nd hand 1TB HDD which was, according to the previous owner, "barely used and left sitting around for awhile". I've had windows 10 installed and running well on it for roughly 3-5 weeks. I installed a clean install of...