Windows 10: Another Microsoft strong arm tactic

Discus and support Another Microsoft strong arm tactic in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I haven't seen this yet but something tells me it might be a scam. Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by davidhk, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Atomic77 Win User

Another Microsoft strong arm tactic

I haven't seen this yet but something tells me it might be a scam.

Atomic77, Dec 11, 2015
  2. hamnat Win User

The patch is on Microsoft.com, so it isn't a scam patch. Update for Windows Live Essentials Mail 2012 (KB3093594)

It just doesn't actually work

hamnat, Dec 11, 2015
  3. agent99 Win User
    You would think that Windows update would automatically apply that patch if updates are set up that way. Maybe it will when the time comes?

agent99, Dec 11, 2015
  4. ARC1020 Win User

They are merging Outlook.com to a new Office 365-based infrastructure. It's not something you can volunteer to manually self-opt in to, but eventually everyone will be on the new version (maybe within 6 months). Instead of Hotmail connectors they'll be using Exchange, hence why you need to update Windows Live Mail (and also why older versions of Office Outlook won't be supported, at the new Office 365-based infrastructure won't support Delta Sync).

There are a couple of FAQ's here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...9fa83bd?auth=1

https://blogs.office.com/2015/05/21/...n-outlook-com/

For people using Office Outlook, they may also receive an email from Microsoft telling them that they need to remove and re-add their outlook.com account as an Exchange Account.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/out...on-office-365/

ARC1020, Dec 11, 2015
  5. swarfega Win User
    I don't see why people want to use software thats 3 years old and is no longer updated (excluding this patch). It could lead to security vulnerabilities.

swarfega, Dec 11, 2015
  6. That is what I cant understand why some members don't want to move forward we are now coming up for 2016 some members it seems still want to use out of date apps.
    Myself I may be a senior citizen but all the systems I look after are all up to day with the latest software and apps.
    Also love the new Mail app as was able to dump a 3rd party app I was using for mail on all my systems.
    Microsoft themselves are now looking to the future.

hTconeM9user, Dec 11, 2015
  7. swarfega Win User
    I moved to gmail so I could easily use it on my mobile devices so I can access it from anywhere.

swarfega, Dec 11, 2015
  8. Another Microsoft strong arm tactic

I can use outlook and yahoo and gmail from my phone also got it all linked to laptop so even if out I can answer any e-mail

Also Bing and Edge Browser just been added.
    This forum is also on there

9. It is not 3 years old the latest update was in March 2014 so about 21 months. No known vulnerabilities yet found fortunately! But yes we who uses it will eventually have to update to something else. Lets hope the Windows 10 Mail app will soon become a decent app and not the utter garbage it is today for those of us with more advanced needs.

The Mail app have too much limitations as it stands for those of us with more advanced needs. The first limitation I noticed was that it by default would only sync up the past 30 days worth of mails from Outlook.com. I had to make some changes in settings to sync up all of my mails dating back to 2003. But the syncing was extremely tedious and slow so it took over 8 hours to complete the sync of my 100.000+ mails. Once that was completed I found out that it is not even possible to sync past 30 days for sent mails and that sucks. And also I can not sync my contacts nor create new folders. Also now that I have finally managed to sync my huge inbox I have found out that the app have high CPU usage (over 10-15% constantly), do not know why that is the case. The notifications are also a little dumb, every time I boot my system in the morning I have to listen trough 40-60 notifications in the notifications center so that is around 3 minutes of ear torture. Why did they not design it so that there would be only 1 notification with just the title of the latest e-mail and then a plus sign with a number saying how many new messages I have since last time I used the app?

I do like the way it looks once I had set up a nice theme, it looks more modern and more in line with Windows 10. But that is the only positive experience I had with the app. I really hope they get their act together and fix that app as soon as possible...

Joakim Agren, Dec 11, 2015
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    Since day1 I was using AOL. I have never had a problem with it and I migrated to many systems with it. I even use it on my Android tablet.

I know some people raise the eyebrows when they hear AOL. But those are probably people that have never used it. It is a fine system.

11. Can I ask why you want e-mails to go back that far.
    I have made a private folder that I keep all my old mail in that I want, and I only open it when I want something from it
    Got it set up in outlook and if I want mail from yahoo or gmail saved that is important I just forward it or move it over to that folder
    Also why taking a long time is because of the amount of e-mail you have loading.

Also agree I too have an aol e-mail account that works well

12. agent99 Win User
    That's like saying we should trade in our 3 year old cars because newer models are available with all kinds of bells and whistles that we don't need?

So far as I can see, support is continuing for WLM 2012. In fact they have been inundated with questions about the new patch. The solution they provide is crazy. You would think they could have provided a seamless transition when they made changes to Outlook.com.

We have two everyday computers. One running Windows 7, the other Vista. We have no problems with either nor with the software we use. Both are protected by both MS and 3rd party security software. But we should give up on this success and move to a new Windows that is fraught with problems?

I have owned every version of Windows since version 2 (except 8/8.1) and am open minded enough to have installed Windows 10 on a spare laptop. I am using it now. But I am not impressed.

It seems MS is trying to pull us all into a net in which we will be required to only use their offerings and at a cost. Can you imagine who decided that Solitaire should no longer be free? And Office requires an annual subscription? (Open Office is still free!) As the reality sinks in, it will likely give impetus to alternative OS's.

agent99, Dec 11, 2015
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

My car just turned 18, has 70K miles and looks like new. It is good for another 18 years.

Another Microsoft strong arm tactic [​IMG]

14. gpstoloff Win User
    This is the issue: MS is performing this upgrade in waves of Outlook.com accounts. Unfortunately, they jumped too soon to send out this message.

Here's the word (courtesy of Ron Sommer MVP):

Login to your outlook.com account using a browser. Does it say Outlook.com or Outlook Mail (Preview)?

KB3093594 should only be installed if you have an outlook.com account that has been upgraded to Outlook Mail (Preview).

If you have more than one outlook.com account, you will have to decide if you want the accounts that have not been upgraded to Outlook Mail (Preview) to work or do you want the accounts that have been upgraded to work.

No Outlook Mail (Preview) accounts - do not install KB3093594.

An account has upgraded to Outlook Mail (Preview) - install KB3093594.

gpstoloff, Dec 11, 2015
  15. davidhk Win User
    So far, mine ( 2 of thme ) still say Outlook.com.

Question :
    So far, I can ignore KB3093594.
    But, is that damn KB3093594 going to push to us through Windows Update ?
    I hope not.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Another Microsoft strong arm tactic - Similar Threads - Another Microsoft strong

2. Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows: If you have read the blog post about the latest Windows 11 Dev build, you may have noticed the following paragraph: "We are continuing the exploration of badging on the Start menu with several new treatments for users logging in with local user accounts to highlight the...
  3. Strong Certificate Matching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strong Certificate Matching: Hello,I've been tasked with implementing Strong Certificate Matching on Enterprise servers. After doing some research I saw that this could cause major authentication issues on Domain Controllers. Does anyone know how this is safely rolled out or has anyone does this in their...
  4. Strong Certificate Matching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strong Certificate Matching: Hello,I've been tasked with implementing Strong Certificate Matching on Enterprise servers. After doing some research I saw that this could cause major authentication issues on Domain Controllers. Does anyone know how this is safely rolled out or has anyone does this in their...
  5. deceitful tactics

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    deceitful tactics: How come when you sign up for an account all the included documentation never mentions a need for your phone number, and assures you your information is guarded, however after a few day the account becomes mysteriously compromised and they must have my phone number or i cant...
  6. error connect Gears Tactic

in Windows 10 Gaming
    error connect Gears Tactic: Hello,I wanted to reconnect to my microsoft account to play your game on Steam.the microsoft window asks me for my number , and then an email address, an email address again. suddenly I made a mistake when adding my mailbox. instead of putting *** Email address is removed for...
  7. <strong><font color="#227093" size=4px>This is some text!</font></strong>

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    <strong><font color="#227093" size=4px>This is some text!</font></strong>: This is some text! sdasdasdsadsahttp://www.google.com https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strongfont-color227093-size4pxthis-is-some/06386bfc-b8cc-4019-8caa-0afb8aacf07c
  8. Unable to install Gears Tactics

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to install Gears Tactics: I preordered Gears Tactics before its release, however I have been unable to install the game at all. No error code has been shown. All that happens is that I am shown that an update for the game is available and that a rotating circle of doom ensues once I try to install it....
  9. A strong security suggestion/recommendation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A strong security suggestion/recommendation: [ATTACH] For anyone who has not done this, already, you are, certainly, urged to do it. > Settings > Windows Security > App & browser control ... scroll down to Isolated browsing Click on Install Windows Defender Application Guard. In the resulting dialogue window scroll...
  10. Strongly Recommended for 1809!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strongly Recommended for 1809!: Just thought I would mention/remind that you can nicely learn all the is new, changed & or improved in 1809 using Tips! This offers a great way to, quickly & easily right w/in your OS, access How, What, Where & just everything about your Windows 10, as it now is, w/ the...