Windows 10: Another nail in the coffin: Microsoft ends its UWP monetization network

Discus and support Another nail in the coffin: Microsoft ends its UWP monetization network in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft first launched the Windows Store, now known as Microsoft Store, it had big plans for it. It wanted to create a central repository for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 4, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Another nail in the coffin: Microsoft ends its UWP monetization network

When Microsoft first launched the Windows Store, now known as Microsoft Store, it had big plans for it. It wanted to create a central repository for applications for Windows, that were limited in scope at first but more secure than traditional Win32 applications, gain control, and earn revenue through it as well.

UWP was the final attempt but it failed miserably even though Microsoft pushed the store through native integration in Windows 10 and releasing specific Windows 10 editions that did not support traditional programs.

The Store saw only a handful of conversions of popular Win32 programs. Most developers use the Desktop App Converter to create UWP versions of Win32 programs. Programs like VLC or Paint.net landed in Store but they offered no advantages over the traditional versions of these programs.

Microsoft revealed in mid-2019 that it had changed its strategy in regards to the Store. Instead of continuing to push UWP exclusively, the company now wanted to treat UWP and Win32 equally.

Another nail in the coffin: Microsoft ends its UWP monetization network uwp-monetization-platform-shutdown.png
    via Twitter: https://twitter.com/fonssonnemans/status/1223150110642704385

The company announced that it will shut down its ad monetization platform for Windows UWP applications on June 1, 2020. The announcement was published on the Windows and Windows phone apps Dev Center, on Twitter, and as a banner in the Partner Center.

As of June 1st 2020, the Microsoft Ad Monetization platform for Windows UWP apps will be shut down. This decision was made primarily because it is no longer viable for us to continue operating the product at the current levels.

Operating the platform is "no longer viable" according to Microsoft. According to the post, ad monetization will end on June 1, 2020 and developers will be paid just like before. Ad performance data can be downloaded until June 8, 2020.

Microsoft provides no ad network suggestions to UWP developers who monetize their apps with advertisement, and there don't seem to be good alternatives at this point.

The consequences are clear: the shutting down has significant impact both on developers who already have apps in Store that use Microsoft's ad monetization network and on future releases for the Store as it will impact the number of releases for the Store even further (there are not many to begin with but the number will drop even more unless Microsoft integrates a third-party ad network natively).

Developers have several options when it comes to monetization. The two most common models are to charge for applications or to use advertisement and make the apps free to gain enough audience to earn enough through advertisement. Some developers offer ad-free upgrades which combine the paid and advertisement driven models.

Closing Words

Communication has never been a strong suite at Microsoft and the termination of the monetization platform is no exception. The company did not make the announcement in a blog post or send out emails to developers, it simply posted the information on its site. Even worse, it provided no suggestions or alternatives that developers could use instead.

The move has several consequences including that some developers won't port their apps or games to the Store, that development will slow down even further, and that apps or games may be removed by developers who fail to find a suitable alternative.

The decision erodes trust in the platform further and while Microsoft defends the Store vehemently, it is possible that the days of the Store are numbered as well.

Now You: Do you use the Store?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Another nail in the coffin: Microsoft ends its UWP monetization network appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 4, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Another nail in the coffin for Edge

Hi there

This is a 100% No No in using Edge for me. Also Ms seems to forget nor everybody wants to be "connected" 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. I don't want to use an Ms account either.

In fact even some BIG businesses are suggesting to people --switch off email etc for a few hours and Go and get a Life !!!!!

Another nail in the coffin: Microsoft ends its UWP monetization network [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 4, 2020
  3. Another nail in the coffin for Edge

I just added another nail in the coffin to my Edge browser's usability for printing. Had to switch over to Firefox to print a webpage in grayscale. Edge offers no capability for directly accessing printer settings. I'm now up to using Firefox 80% of the time for printing web content.

Microsoft has more experience than Mozilla, but they picked an Edge development team to develop this browser right after earning their 6th grade diploma.

AllenChicago, Feb 4, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Microsoft shutting down Ad Monetization platform for UWP apps June 1st

Source: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...-down-june-1st

See also: Microsoft to shutter its Ad Monetization platform for Universal Windows Platform apps | ZDNet

Brink, Feb 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Another nail in the coffin: Microsoft ends its UWP monetization network - Similar Threads - Another nail coffin

2. Windows 10 update hammers final nail into coffin of Groove Music player

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 update hammers final nail into coffin of Groove Music player: Groove Music appears to have, er, run out of music, with Microsoft putting the final nail in the coffin of Windows 10’s default music player. If you go to the Microsoft Store now on any platform, you’ll notice the entertainment or Microsoft’s media apps section only has two...
  3. Microsoft takes another step to bridge Win32-UWP divide on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft takes another step to bridge Win32-UWP divide on Windows 10: As you may be aware, Project Reunion is Microsoft’s latest project to make app development easier for Windows 10. Project Reunion is being developed to bridge the gap between two important app platforms (APIs) for Windows 10 – Win32 (desktop) and UWP (modern Store apps). In...
  4. Use of Microsoft Fonts for Social Media Monetization

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Use of Microsoft Fonts for Social Media Monetization: Hello. Trying to get help from a legitimate Microsoft Agent or Staff. I hope you can help me with this. Is it legal to use the pre-installed fonts that comes with Windows 10 for commercial use? I am talking about social media monetization. Let's say I am using a third...
  5. Microsoft shutting down Ad Monetization platform for UWP apps June 1st

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft shutting down Ad Monetization platform for UWP apps June 1st: As of June 1st 2020, the Microsoft Ad Monetization platform for Windows UWP apps will be shut down. This decision was made primarily because it is no longer viable for us to continue operating the product at the current levels. Key points to note The Ad monetization...
  6. Native Ads on the Microsoft Ad Monetization Platform

in Windows 10 News
    Native Ads on the Microsoft Ad Monetization Platform: We at Microsoft are committed to helping developers maximize their monetization through ads. The Microsoft ad mediation service along with the Microsoft Advertising SDK are the two key components of  Microsoft’s new ad monetization platform that dynamically optimizes ad...
  7. Another nail in the coffin for Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Another nail in the coffin for Edge: Hi there This is a 100% No No in using Edge for me. Also Ms seems to forget nor everybody wants to be "connected" 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. I don't want to use an Ms account either. In fact even some BIG businesses are suggesting to people --switch off email etc for a...
  8. How to Extract old UWP app to deploy on another PC (UWP Not in store)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Extract old UWP app to deploy on another PC (UWP Not in store): I have an excellent UWP app that I use to control my Squeezeboxes (Soundicity) which is sadly no longer available in the windows store. I`d like to deploy this app to another machine I have on my network. Is it possible to extract the relevant files from one PC, in...
  9. Introducing Microsoft’s new Ad Monetization Platform

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing Microsoft’s new Ad Monetization Platform: Earlier this week, we kicked off our annual developer conference Microsoft Build in front of over 10,000 developers at Washington state convention center with viewers watching the event live around the world. During the keynote and other live sessions, we had several...
  10. New UWP Ad Monetization policies and updates to Ad unit management UX

in Windows 10 News
    New UWP Ad Monetization policies and updates to Ad unit management UX: Today, we are announcing new policy around ad unit decommissioning, user experience updates to manage active/inactive ad units, default policies around Ad network enablement, and changes to the Ad impression measurement methodology for Windows apps. You may be impacted if you...