Windows 10: Another Newby with a SSD to SSD upgrade problem...

Discus and support Another Newby with a SSD to SSD upgrade problem... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So, yes, I am a newby here, and know just enough to be dangerous... So please flame me gently! I have an HP laptop with 128gb SSD and 1tb hdd. OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by oldcrowe, Jun 15, 2019.

1. oldcrowe Win User

Another Newby with a SSD to SSD upgrade problem...

So, yes, I am a newby here, and know just enough to be dangerous... So please flame me gently!
    I have an HP laptop with 128gb SSD and 1tb hdd. OS lives on the SSD, which is too small. So I am trying to upgrade the SSD to 1tb. I cloned the existing SSD to my new 1tb SSD via EaseUS Todo Backup- here is a pic of the results:

Another Newby with a SSD to SSD upgrade problem... [​IMG]

In the screenshot, Disk 0 is original SSD, Disk 1 is HDD, Disk 2 is new SSD connected via usb...

So I next removed the original SSD and replaced it with the new larger SSD and booted- and got the message: "No operating system installed. Install operating system and reboot" (or something very similar to that...) I put the original SSD back in and it works fine...

So that's where I am. I strongly suspect I have made a simple error, but not sure where...

Any suggestions or (kind) comments GREATLY appreciated!!

:)

oldcrowe, Jun 15, 2019

2. SSD drive upgrade activation problem.

Hello Guys, I have a little problem with this automatic activation thing after adding a new SSD card to My Desktop, on which I installed a fresh version of Windows 10 . So I do have a couple of questions. But before going to the questions I wanted to phrase
    step by step what I did, so you have a good feel of what is going on here.

The first thing to know is that before the lunch of Windows 10 I had a laptop and a desktop running windows 7. and as soon as Windows 10 came out I upgraded both of them with no problems. After the upgrade were successful I decided to install a fresh version
    of Windows 10 on each, which worked flawlessly with no issues on activation. I'm logged in both of my devices with the same Microsoft account.

Then I decided to upgrade my laptop with a new SSD Drive, on which I installed a fresh version of Windows 10 and had no problems.

After that I decided to do the same for my desktop, and I upgraded it with a new SSD drive, which I just added, I didn't remove any of my old drives. I decided to install a fresh version of Windows 10 on that SSD . I was happily using my desktop when I saw
    a message on the down right corner of my display saying That I needed to activate Windows. So I opened to activation window found in Settings and I saw a heart breaking message in red letters saying "We can't activate Windows 10 on this device because you
    don't have a valid digital license or product key. Go to the Store to buy genuine Windows. Error Code: 0x803f7001"

I went through the "Troubleshoot" screen which seamed to be looking for Activation problems, but I came with the same kind of message saying that the only way to activate windows is by going to the store and purchase the software.

Below that screen I saw a link saying "I change hardware on this device recently", I though this is going to solve my problem! But I got the same kind of massage, no possible to activate Windows. I saw the link See
    other devices linked to your Microsoft account
    and I click on that and I can only see my laptop listed. So I decided to try and see if I can logging my Microsoft account on a browser, Which I kind of knew was there but I had never logged in for any reason,
    so I didn't know what to expect. and There I found not two, but three devices listed! One of them my laptop, and two desktops with different names, but the same Mother Board model. I checked and confirmed that one of them was in fact the one whit the SSD card
    that I was using and having problems with, so I decided to boot with the old hard drive and see the computer name, and in fact is the other one listed.

I know for sure that the Windows 10 on the old hard drive is activated, because I always kept it updated and had not a single sing that wasn't.

My questions are:

Do I have to wait longer to get it activate?

Why on the windows settings I see only my laptop listed (this is on the desktop settings) and not the other two devices that are listed in my Microsoft account?

Please help me guys! I got couple of more computers from family that I maintain and I order a couple of SSD for upgrading them too. I don't want to have any issues with those.

JuanDechia, Jun 15, 2019
  3. Josh_922 Win User
    Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Jun 15, 2019
  4. HairyFool Win User

Windows 10 SSD Boot and Sleep faliure

Windows cannot stop the BIOS recognising the SSD. If at any time you can go into the BIOS and the SSD is not listed then you have an (intermittent) hardware fault. It does not matter what the precursor steps are if the hardware was OK it must be listed

Step 6 is categorical, you have a hardware fault. BIOS device recognition is always before drivers load so they cannot affect the process

HairyFool, Jun 15, 2019
Thema:

1. Another Newby with a SSD to SSD upgrade problem... - Similar Threads - Another Newby SSD

2. Upgrading ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading ssd: Would I need to buy a new windows 11 OS key if I upgrade my ssd to a larger capacity? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-ssd/006bae5e-6a8c-4d39-92c8-bf248cce0d91
  3. Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD: The past few days, I've been having issues with my boot drive. I keep getting the A2 error on my mobo. I installed the SSD in 2017 and am going to buy a new one before it completely dies. I don't want to rebuy windows. What's the best way for me to move windows onto a new...
  4. Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Windows From An SSD To Another SSD: The past few days, I've been having issues with my boot drive. I keep getting the A2 error on my mobo. I installed the SSD in 2017 and am going to buy a new one before it completely dies. I don't want to rebuy windows. What's the best way for me to move windows onto a new...
  5. Upgrade to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to SSD: Hi All. I'm new on here so hello first of all, and I'm hoping you can give me some advice and tips. I have successfully upgraded a few desktop pc's to SSD at work, using Acronis cloning software and haven't come across any issues with them. it is a simple process of...
  6. SSD Upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD Upgrade: Hi I have just upgraded my HP Envy laptop from a HDD to the SSD, in particular the Samsung 870 QVO 1TB drive.. Reading on the web I notice that SSD's have a lifespan and this drive is warranted from Samsung for 3 years or 360TBW.. Using there software it shows that since...
  7. Problems Upgrading to an SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems Upgrading to an SSD: Windows 10 Home Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.657) I recently purchased a Crucial MX500 1 TB SSD to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 15 3576. I have a 1 TB Seagate HDD. It is in good condition, I just wanted the upgrade in speed. I followed the instructions from Crucial by using...
  8. Upgrade OS from one SSD to another SSD?

Upgrade OS from one SSD to another SSD?: Could I possibly get some help on how best I can upgrade my existing SSD. I have a 256 GB SSD which I would like to upgrade to a 480 GB SSD. I already have the new SSD and want to upgrade it tommorow. How best I can transfer/migrate my OS (Windows 10 Insider Preview) from the...
  9. Upgrade to SSD

Upgrade to SSD: Hi there.. how can I use my SSD for my windows 10 OS, programs and HDD for storage? I tried to clone it but, only got 120GB SSD and my (C) drive got 220GB. should I do clean install or can I just clone my OS to SSD? is there way to do it? Thanks In Advance.....
  10. Upgrade to larger ssd problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade to larger ssd problem: I used Macrium Reflect to close my ssd boot drive. To test it I changed BIOS to look at usb drive first in boot order. But when it boots it fails. This is a new HP laptop. Is there something I need to do other than clone before it would boot? 100888