Windows 10: Another PC with non working start / notification button

Discus and support Another PC with non working start / notification button in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Another PC with non working start / notification button. It seems it happens out of the blue. I tried several suggested fixes without success. So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Robbie, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Robbie Win User

Another PC with non working start / notification button

Another PC with non working start / notification button.

It seems it happens out of the blue. I tried several suggested fixes without success. So will just wait till the next update.

Hopefully that will solve the issue. As long as I get updates I will just shut down with task manager.

:)

Robbie, Jan 26, 2016
  2. Malta_360 Win User

Windows 10 Start Button and Restart Problems

Hello,

I installed Windows 10 on its release date, but till today I still have the problem of occasionally having the Start button not working. When this happens neither the Start button nor the taskbar icons, such as New Notifications would work. The only way
    to solve this problem would be to shut down or restart the computer.

Another problem that I am facing is that when restarting the computer, sometimes the process is stuck on the 'Restarting' Screen and I would have to force shutdown the pc.

Is there a fix to the Start button and Restarting problems?

Kind regards.

Malta_360, Jan 26, 2016
  3. Non working start and search buttons

I have real difficulty in understanding why the problems with the Start button have not been resolved. The issues have been around for ages. Us older users rely heavily on their computers for a whole range of activities but they are not technicians. So
    when some techy instructs to go to PowerShell or Scanow to try and fix a problem and nothing changes (always assuming that you can get the damn commands to work) then we get pretty savage about Microsoft.

Two days ago I got so sick of trying to fix the thing that I reinstalled Win 8.1 then found I had lost all my emails and all my contacts. Couldn't work out how to retrieve them so reinstalled Win 10 again in the vain hope that they would still be there.
    After about 6 hours no luck, no emails, no contacts and a blackened screen!! Found out to fix the black screen and up and running again. By luck have an external hard drive and upon checking that found all the emails. No contacts though although I had recently
    saved all contacts to a .csv file so was able to recover them. Happy days we are running again - that took hours and hours to achieve. Now the damn Start and Search buttons have gone again so don't know what to do. Trash the lot and go and get a reliable
    Apple!! My grandchildren have been telling me to do so for some months.

I now know why MS are giving Win 10 away - they would not be able to sell the damn thing. A couple of local techs I know simply refuse to work on machines having Win 10 problems.

Don and Marie, Jan 26, 2016
  4. D3LL Win User

5. Robbie Win User
    Whooopy

Installed Update for Windows (KB3124262) Manually and guess what............Start button is working again.

Robbie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Another PC with non working start / notification button - Similar Threads - Another non working

2. Windows 10 start button and notifications button not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 start button and notifications button not working: Hello,In last 2 months I have a strange problem with 4 different computers, where start and notification button stop working. All for computers have common this things:- Domain computer- Windows 10 21H2- Office 2021 Home and Business-...
  3. Windows 10 start button and notifications button not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 start button and notifications button not working: Hello,In last 2 months I have a strange problem with 4 different computers, where start and notification button stop working. All for computers have common this things:- Domain computer- Windows 10 21H2- Office 2021 Home and Business-...
  4. Windows 10 start button and notifications button not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar: Hi there, My PC is only about 3 or 4 months old. That being said, the most recent things that have happened were an update on my pc on the 19th of this month, and I moved my OS from my hdd to an ssd. I cant pinpoint exactly when the issues started happening, but it was within...
  6. Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar: Hi there, My PC is only about 3 or 4 months old. That being said, the most recent things that have happened were an update on my pc on the 19th of this month, and I moved my OS from my hdd to an ssd. I cant pinpoint exactly when the issues started happening, but it was within...
  7. Start button, Search bar and Notifications button not working on task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Quick Action missing in notification area and Start Button not working

Quick Action missing in notification area and Start Button not working: Got a new Windows 10 PC on Monday and of course many updates needed downloading....including Windows 10, version 2004 on Friday of last week. However since then Quick Action missing in notification area and Start Button not working. I have tried numerous methods shown to...
  9. Mail notifications: buttons not working

Mail notifications: buttons not working: Hi! When I click any of the "Set flag"/"Delete"/"Dismiss" buttons on a new email notification in the Action Center: instead of performing the action, the Mail app always opens, displaying the email. Thank you!...
  10. Intermittent non-functioning Start, Notification???

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent non-functioning Start, Notification???: Why is it that sometimes the Start and Notification icons are inactive? When this happens, I restart the computer and all is well again???? 39024