Windows 10: Another... Peculiar (spoofed) Email...

Discus and support Another... Peculiar (spoofed) Email... in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; In this day and age I shouldn't find this surprising as the ingenuity of some users shows no bounds. If they could only put their resourcefulness to... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Anak, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Anak Win User

Another... Peculiar (spoofed) Email...

In this day and age I shouldn't find this surprising as the ingenuity of some users shows no bounds. If they could only put their resourcefulness to benevolent instead of malevolent efforts the world's problems would be solved in a month. Okay, six months, but I digress.

There hasn't been many, maybe four since the end of Summer but I receive emails that are no where close to my addy. In the accompanying attachment I changed my address to all capital X's with the provider in lower case x's, my address shows up three times in the original message.
    The address this email was originally spoofed from is s....k33 at mail dot ru which is shorter by three characters and does not contain any corresponding characters except for the at and dot symbols.

I have checked the pwned site and yes my addy is listed but over the years I really don't receive a lot of spam maybe one a month. This one is the first since November.
    • I have marked the email as phishing but couldn't block the sender because that action wasn't available probably another symptom of spoofing, how do you block an address that doesn't exist? I did send an abuse report to my email provider.
    • Do I send an abuse report to admin at actonalumni dot org the sender? Maybe that doesn't exist as well.
    • The rotrax dot websitewelcome dot com (the man in the middle) addy throws a 404 error and when you search for rotrax dot com it's for sale by HugeDomains dot com, now isn't that surprising!
    Such a PITA!

@Infrasonic;'s reply in @FrankS's thread explains this well:
    If you need more do a search for spoofed emails. I just wanted to put my experience out here as another example.

Another Peculiar Email.txt

p.s. I marked my thread solved, but for now there really is no way to stop it.

:)

Anak, Jan 9, 2019
  2. oily_17 Win User

e-bay Spoof Email Alert

Just a heads up for anyone receiving an email allegedly from eBay.

I received a spoof email today from "e-bay <member@e-bay.co.uk>" with the subject "eBay System Update: Identity Confirmation"

If you receive this email delete it immediately and dont click on any links in the mail.You will notice that e-bay is hyphenated and not the proper eBay address.

This has been confirmed by eBay to be a spoof email.

oily_17, Jan 9, 2019
  3. email address being spoofed

it appears my email address is being spoofed by a spammer. this has been going on for about two weeks. i get about ten failure to deliver returns a day[with a couple of days of not getting any]. there are no emails being "sent" from my machine. verizon is my dsl provider and my outlook express email account is on msn.com. can you believe that verizon tells me it's a msn problem and msn tells me it's a verizon problem? any help?

michaelmapster, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Another... Peculiar (spoofed) Email...

Spoof Email

Hi

I have up to date security on my PC. I ran the Microsoft security scan and nothing was detected.

However, a spoof email has now been sent to some of my contacts, twice in a week. I've changed my password as well.

How can I stop this?

Brent

brentcarey, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Another... Peculiar (spoofed) Email...

1. Another... Peculiar (spoofed) Email... - Similar Threads - Another Peculiar spoofed

2. Hwid Spoof

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hwid Spoof: Hi i used a hwid spoofer to get unbanned on fortnite but now i having extreme ping spikes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hwid-spoof/0a70a11b-c19a-4110-9afe-172ce703a218
  3. Spoofed or hacked outlook 365 email

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Spoofed or hacked outlook 365 email: I received an email to my work 365 email account yesterday claiming that I have been hacked. It was from me to me (hopefully just spoofed) and details are below: From:*** Email address is removed for privacy *** <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> Sent:...
  4. spoof email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    spoof email: I received an email supposedly from a contact indicating it was from Joe (not real name). On opening it, it was obvious it was a spoof. Needing to let Joe know about this I realised he wasn't in my "Mail" contacts list, but he was in my Thunderbird contacts list. I opened...
  5. Peculiar Onedrive Quirk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Peculiar Onedrive Quirk: I have 5 Microsoft branded computers, they all are happily syncing together with the exception of the desktop on one little Surface Pro 3. All OneDrive folders sync in nicely when I look into the file explorer, even the desktop so OneDrive is syncing to the Pro 3....
  6. Peculiar email

in Browsers and Email
    Peculiar email: Hi I've received an email to my live mail account that is from an unknown person to the same person. The body of the email states: IS THIS YOUR PERSONAL OR WORK EMAIL? I've checked the message source details & there's no mention of my live email address. My question is: How...
  7. Peculiar finding in CCleaner.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Peculiar finding in CCleaner.: CCleaner finds the following entry checking my registry. I copied it to a text file: Open with Application Issue "C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\Win7UI.exe" %1 %2 HKCR\FunctionDiscoveryItemBluetooth\shell\Operation I cannot find an entry in C:\ at all but in the registry I...
  8. Spoof-Mail

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Spoof-Mail: I have got an eMail I suspect as a spoof an would like to forward it to Microsoft, but do not find a mail-address for to send spoofs to. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/spoof-mail/566ed105-6e64-4d77-9d84-6f32127e3f54"
  9. Another email problem

in Browsers and Email
    Another email problem: Can soemoen tell me why when I click on the mail in the left hand column it sometimes opens a small tab in thr Outlook page instead of a new tab in Edge see pic 92915
  10. Peculiar and perplexing

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Peculiar and perplexing: On initial start,Device manager shows the display adapter has been stopped,error code 43.When restart selected,the operation is normal and the display adapter,nvidea GeForce gt610,works without a problem, This situation happens every time,without fail. Fast startup and the...