Windows 10: Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Discus and support Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I was just wondering if it matters when making let's say a 2nd Differential Image if I make it from the 1st Differential or from the Full Backup. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mcd73165, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Mcd73165 Win User

Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Hi. I was just wondering if it matters when making let's say a 2nd Differential Image if I make it from the 1st Differential or from the Full Backup. I think it probably doesn't matter but I want to make sure. Macrium Reflect (free) is a great program! My computer is Windows 10 1909 build 18363. Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

Mcd73165, Jun 12, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Hi, a differential image is created with reference to the first larger slower initial image and represents the changes with respect to that.

If you have 2 differential images d1, d2 and a corresponding full initial image i, you thus have 3 possible dates to which you can restore the imaged partitions:
    i
    i+ d1
    i+ d2

If you create a backup job when you create your first image, all you have to do is click this:

Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup [​IMG]

Note the number retained is up to you to configure: e.g.

dalchina, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Mcd73165 Win User

I'll try to explain a little clearer. In Macrium Reflect I click on the Restore tab which will then show me the Full and Differential Images that I created. On the right side of those there is Restore Image and Other Actions drop down menu.. From that I can delete the file (Differential) or create a Differential or Incremental backup. Can't do Incremental on the free version). So what I'm trying to find out is would it matter if I create another Differential Image from my Full Backup or from the Differential Backup. What I have been doing when changes are made to the computer is to delete the Differential and create a new Differential from the Full backup other actions list. This way I have 1 Full Backup and 1 Differential Backup.

Mcd73165, Jun 13, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

When you manually select partitions to make a backup, then run it, it offers to save your choices as a backup definition file as well as to run the backup.

This saves a lot of work next time. Go to the 'Backup Definition Files' tab, select your saved definition, then run it again as a Full, Differential or (paid for/Trial version) an Incremental.

Thema:

1. Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup - Similar Threads - Another question Macrium

2. Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Differential Backup On Cloned Drive (Macrium Reflect)?: I replaced my hard drive, same size. So I cloned it. Can I do a differential backup based on a full image of the original drive using the clone? Using Macrium Reflect Free Edition as my backup software. 181683
  3. Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. I was just wondering if it matters when making let's say a 2nd Differential Image if I make it from the 1st Differential or from the Full Backup. I think it probably doesn't matter but I want to make sure. Macrium Reflect (free) is a great program! My computer is Windows...
  4. Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. Macrium Reflect free allows 4 differential backups per full backup. If I have a full backup and 1 differential backup and I want to make a second differential backup, does it matter if I make it from the 1st differential backup or from the full backup? Thanks in advance...
  5. Question about Macrium Reflect (free)

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about Macrium Reflect (free): Hi. I know with Macrium free version you can make 4 differential backups. What's not clear to me is it 4 differential backups per full backup or 4 differential backups total. Thanks in advance for any replies. Mark 140588
  6. Question about Macrium Reflect

Question about Macrium Reflect: Better late than never, but I've finally started using backup/cloning software, namely Macrium Reflect considering all the praise it gets. But I need to ask, is downloading the PE files used for creating a restore USB necessary if I'm just going to be cloning my drive?...
  7. A Question About Macrium Reflect

A Question About Macrium Reflect: Will Macrium take care of it when making the Bootable rescue media on a USB or do I need a third party tool to make partitions and to make it Bootable? I'v got a brand new USB flash Drive that's factory formatted to FAT32. Do I need to make any further prep with it? 97810
  8. Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question

Macrium reflect - running a backup/image question: I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB HD & therefore thought it...
  9. Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity

Macrium Reflect Incremental/Differential Curiosity: Is there any way to see what changed between the most recent image and the previous image? I see the file size increase nearly daily when I have not always made any major changes to my system. I know Windows saves new logs daily, but sometimes the change is 10GB+ after...
  10. Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect

Couple of Nooby questions about Macrium Reflect: Hello All, Thanks to this site, I am keen to try Macrium Reflect (Free). I intend to back up to an external drive. I will most likely use Windows File History for individual Files / Folders (Photos, videos, documents etc). A couple of basic questions come to mind; 1....