Windows 10: Another UPDATE .. Another computer taken hostage without permission

Discus and support Another UPDATE .. Another computer taken hostage without permission in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yet another update, during unplanned hours, making computer unusable for LONG periods of time. And this after I had just tried the neat new feature to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Richard Denney, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Another UPDATE .. Another computer taken hostage without permission

Yet another update, during unplanned hours, making computer unusable for LONG periods of time. And this after I had just tried the neat new feature to DELAY updates, AND set the hours when to install updates.

People actually use their computers to get work done. Thank God I'm not sitting in front of a room of customers preparing to give a talk.

You have no right to take my computer hostage.

Another UPDATE .. Another computer taken hostage without permission [​IMG]

:)

Richard Denney, Dec 27, 2019

2. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Dec 27, 2019
  3. cant load google chrome message pops up "saying ask for permission from a adult" Not in a family and I am an Adult on my account

Hi,

To help you in resolving your concern regarding permission to access a specific browser, we need the following information:

• Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • Are you using Family Safety on your computer?
    • Are you experiencing this permission issue to a specific page only?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve this?

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Dec 27, 2019
  4. slance310 Win User

Another UPDATE .. Another computer taken hostage without permission

permissions

Hi,

I have found that even if a person is logged in with a Administrator account that doesn't seem to apply to the "Administrator" in the Permissions settings..

I have repeatedly needed to add myself as a User with full permissions to get access to some files and etc... Because he is logged in as a Administrator is what makes it possible to change any settings at all... Otherwise it wouldn't even be possible to
    change Ownership..

I have also needed to delete some of the other accounts at times... It kind of varies with the situation... I haven't read all of the suggestions and steps taken to be completely up to speed with the problem...

Another thing that has helped in the past is to add "Authenticated Users" with full permissions to the list...

I should mention that some of the recent Insider Builds have been acting funny with some of the permission settings...

For instance... If I upgrade through Windows Update things are pretty much normal, but if I create a ISO and upgrade the same original image, a lot of my customized Icon files get deleted from System32, which then requires at lot of tinkering with permissions
    to get them to stay there...

slance310, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

Another UPDATE .. Another computer taken hostage without permission

1. Another UPDATE .. Another computer taken hostage without permission - Similar Threads - Another UPDATE Another

2. How to copy the PC/Computer Security Permissions to another?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to copy the PC/Computer Security Permissions to another?: I would like to copy the PC-group Permissions to another PC. Windows platform. Exemple: I would like to copy the Group-Permission from Laptop/PC A to the new one B . Exist any script to from from a machine to another? Thanks!...
  3. Update permission on drive from another PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update permission on drive from another PC: I'm moving a hard drive from my old PC windows 10 to a new PC Windows 11 Should I update or reset the permissions on that drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-permission-on-drive-from-another-pc/37cda20c-1502-4a9e-bdaa-87dd96d24d95
  4. Update permission on drive from another PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update permission on drive from another PC: I'm moving a hard drive from my old PC windows 10 to a new PC Windows 11 Should I update or reset the permissions on that drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-permission-on-drive-from-another-pc/37cda20c-1502-4a9e-bdaa-87dd96d24d95
  5. Administrative permission to another computer on my network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Administrative permission to another computer on my network: How do I give administrative permission to another computer on my network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrative-permission-to-another-computer-on/63e201b5-17e5-46a7-8073-c8c1b2f15927
  6. File permissions for another user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    File permissions for another user: The situation is this; the pc administrator has financial folders and files that she has full permission to access, write, change, delete, backup etc. there is another user whom she needs to give permission to access the folder and files but with read only permission. How...
  7. File permissions for another user

in Windows 10 Support
    File permissions for another user: The situation is this; the pc administrator has financial folders and files that she has full permission to access, write, change, delete, backup etc. there is another user whom she needs to give permission to access the folder and files but with read only permission. How...
  8. Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer.

Permissions fault after viewing HD in another computer.: This topic was locked, so I'm resurrecting this one. Originally posted August 2016. Issue still exists. Post updated to reflect this. I'm a technician, and I was doing some work on a PC that required removing the HD to access files in the user profile folders in another...
  9. permission to access files on another network computer

permission to access files on another network computer: How do I get permission to access files on another network computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/permission-to-access-files-on-another-network/e5166044-cbc5-4c16-9955-4a8100372113
  10. Another Update Another Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Another Update Another Problem: Really getting tired of this OS. Second time this happened. 1 >Default browser went back to IE. 2 >Settings opens Control Panel 3 >Programs that should appear on Task bar DON'T 4 >More that I didn't write down 1 > Ran sfc /scannow TWICE nothing 2 > This one is great...