Windows 10: Antimalware crreating too much read/write i/o activity

Discus and support Antimalware crreating too much read/write i/o activity in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; At times my disk use goes up to 100% because of the antimalware that comes with Windows Defender. I believe it conflicts with an application that I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by shlomotoren, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Antimalware crreating too much read/write i/o activity

At times my disk use goes up to 100% because of the antimalware that comes with Windows Defender. I believe it conflicts with an application that I use.

Also is there still chkdsk ?

Thanks

:)

shlomotoren, Aug 14, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Aug 14, 2018
  3. High Disk Activity; Antimalware service defender on W10 WRITES Gigabytes - bad for SSD

I am having the frequently asked problem of solid disk activity, unable to use my system for 10-15 seconds.

Lenovo T520, 8G, 256G SSD.

This ONLY started since the Windows 10 Anniversary update. So "what changed?" Nothing but the update.

It happens at any time - such as editing a document then doing file/save as, it may take 10 seconds of freeze before I can even enter a new directory. I could be browsing, or running an editor, or any of many things. I find my keyboard frozen, and look
    and see the solid hard disk light.

"tecchies" say "I can't imaging windows sustaining 10 seconds of constant disk activity on an SSD so as to lock out the user".

BUT PER SUBJECT: Antimalware (which must not be "windows defender" as I just shut that off(*)) is still active in my task list (per sysinternals Process Explorer). Sorting various column shows:

- Antimalware...

- highest page faults (6.5 Million)

- Highest reads (3.9G)

- Highest WRITES (1.1G) >>> This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE, as minimizing writing is how you increase SSD life

- Highest CPU time

(*) I shut Windows Defender off, to see if that stops the awful "hard disk light on solid" interruptions of my use of the computer.

Thanks!

P.S. can I shut down windows defender and antimalware PERMANENTLY? I have never suffered a virus in decades of windows use, and I find many myself (zip files with scripts in them from bogus email senders) that defender doesn't find.

Ward.[Xmodem], Aug 14, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Antimalware crreating too much read/write i/o activity

Hard Drive constantly at or near 100% read/write

I suggest you research that process. There's almost nothing on this forum about it, so it's not a familiar problem. What is evident from searching the internet is that others have seen it related to disk activity.

Further simple steps:
    1. Does this happen if you do a clean boot?
    2. If not, enable more until it does occur.
    3. Try to reach a conclusion.

I've given you two other possible steps previously.

There is probably a better answer out there, but it will take a bit more persistence.
    Not all problems get instant solutions.

dalchina, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

Antimalware crreating too much read/write i/o activity

1. Antimalware crreating too much read/write i/o activity - Similar Threads - Antimalware crreating too

2. Antimalware Service Executable using too much memory and CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Antimalware Service Executable using too much memory and CPU: I have a Windows 10 computer. I have the same problem as many other users, the Antimalware Service Executable using too much memory and CPU. I have already followed the steps...
  3. Antimalware Service Executable using too much memory and CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Antimalware Service Executable using too much memory and CPU: I have a Windows 10 computer. I have the same problem as many other users, the Antimalware Service Executable using too much memory and CPU. I have already followed the steps...
  4. Antimalware Service Executable using too much memory and CPU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Antimalware Service Executable using way too much memory

Antimalware Service Executable using way too much memory: In Task Manager, Antimalware Service Executable is using >300MB of memory and absolutely destroying my experience of Windows. I've done a whole bunch of suggested fixes, such as turning off live protection and adding the MsMpEng.exe exclusion, but none of them worked. Also, I...
  6. Antimalware Service Executable using way too much memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Antimalware Service Executable using way too much memory: In Task Manager, Antimalware Service Executable is using >300MB of memory and absolutely destroying my experience of Windows. I've done a whole bunch of suggested fixes, such as turning off live protection and adding the MsMpEng.exe exclusion, but none of them worked. Also, I...
  7. Antimalware Service Executable using way too much memory

Antimalware Service Executable using way too much memory: hiA few days after the latest update, antimalware service executable / windows defender has been slowing my computer right down to a snails pace and i cannot stop it whatever i try. it is using at least 100MB at all times. it took me 32 actual seconds to open the start menu....
  8. Antimalware Service Executable is taking too much memory.

Antimalware Service Executable is taking too much memory.: Antimalware Service Executable is taking too much memory and my laptop is lagging. I am facing this problem from last 10 days. Please help. My laptop is asus x507UA i5 quad core processor 8 gb ram....
  9. RANDOM read and write speeds too low

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RANDOM read and write speeds too low: Two USB 3.0 drives and a USB 3.0 flash drive have reasonable to good sequential read and write speeds. But the RANDOM write and write speeds are awful, up to 200 times slower than the sequental speeds. I test with DiskMark from CrystalDiskMark. I tested both with drives...
  10. antimalware service taking up too much resources

antimalware service taking up too much resources: lately i have noticed that microsofts antimalware service is taking up too much CPU and ram and makeing my laptop very hot (fans on high) and it stays like thata for the reminander of the usage until reboot on and off. itwas never like that before but it seems ti be doing...