Windows 10: Antimalware service somehow killing SSDs on my xeon x5600 series computers

Discus and support Antimalware service somehow killing SSDs on my xeon x5600 series computers in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So on my machines that have windows 10, xeon x5600 series processors(all ECC RDIMM) and SSDs, antimalware executable is running 24/7 reading at roughly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FedsAgainstGunS, May 17, 2020.

1. Antimalware service somehow killing SSDs on my xeon x5600 series computers

So on my machines that have windows 10, xeon x5600 series processors(all ECC RDIMM) and SSDs, antimalware executable is running 24/7 reading at roughly 50-150MB/s. I've tried reinstalling windows several times, but they all eventually switch back to just 24/7 reads.

The only thing i can think of is that i use folding at home on these old ebay servers(before i dedicate these R510s to file servers), I also record TV on one of them(to a NAS) this one will be retured once i get 4th gen ryzen APU, one of them i have watching my camera folder converting videos to x265 with handbrake, though i think i will also replace this with ryzen 4000 as this server idles at 150w, and under load approaches 500w with these x5690s

I've switched to using raid arrays with HDDs on all machines that can, but i've lost 3 SSDs in 2 years on just 4 machines. The spinning rust has been much more reliable, i thought SSDs werent supposed to 'wear out' unless they were being constantly written to.

I may have a glimmer of hope, if i go to the defender settings, turn off real time protection, then turn it right back on, it will start back up with about 100MB/s, but then after a minute, it stops and goes back to how i would expect it to work for several days

submitted by /u/FedsAgainstGunS
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/FedsAgainstGunS, May 17, 2020

2. Antimalware service excutable consuming ram and cpu

Hello,

We would like to know more about this concern, please provide the following information:

• Is this your first time to encounter this issue?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer's configuration prior to the issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    Antimalware Service Executable is the name of the process MsMpEng (MsMpEng.exe) used by the Windows Defender program. The service associated with this program is the Windows Defender Service. For possible troubleshooting steps, you can check GreginMich's
    post through this link.

Looking forward to your response.

Antoneth Ber, May 17, 2020
  3. How to kill "Antimalware Service Executable"

Hi Kirill,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about turning off Windows Defender. We will help you with this issue.

Antimalware Service Executable is one of the Windows processes which are supposed to be running on the operating system and hence you do not have permissions to end the process.

As you are trying to turn off the Windows Defender, I suggest you to use Group Policy to turn off Windows Defender and check if it helps.

NOTE: Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the
    Windows 10 Pro
    , Enterprise, and Education

Follow the below steps:

• Log-in as an administrator, press Windows + R keys from the keyboard, type
      gpedit.msc
      and hit Enter.
    • If prompted by UAC, click on Yes.
    • In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location:
      Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender/Real-time Protection
    • In the right pane of Real-time Protection in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the
      Turn off real-time protection policy to edit it.
    • Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK
    • When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

NOTE: It is not recommend for the users to turn off Windows Defender is
    a built-in security software on Windows 10 Operating System. It will help you to scan for viruses and keep the device safe from any malware infections.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 17, 2020
  4. Antimalware service somehow killing SSDs on my xeon x5600 series computers

Antimalware Service Executable - How do I stop it completely?

Hello Aniax,

As you are facing issues with high performance usage by Antimalware Service Executable service on your device, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that Antimalware Service Executable is a part of Windows Essentials.

I suggest you to refer to the below post and check if your issue matches with the same. If so, try the troubleshooting steps suggested by
    GreginMich replied on November 6, 2015 and check if it helps.

How to stop Antimalware Service Executable from hogging cpu on Windows

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Antimalware service somehow killing SSDs on my xeon x5600 series computers

1. Antimalware service somehow killing SSDs on my xeon x5600 series computers - Similar Threads - Antimalware service somehow

2. Windows 11 Xeon X-series/W-series Processor support

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Xeon X-series/W-series Processor support: Microsoft adds support for the W series Xeon but not its equivalent X/performance series? I just found it very strange considering the processors are so similar. One made for Workstations and the other performance.Is there a good reason why this is? thanks....
  3. Windows 11 Xeon X-series/W-series Processor support

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Xeon X-series/W-series Processor support: Microsoft adds support for the W series Xeon but not its equivalent X/performance series? I just found it very strange considering the processors are so similar. One made for Workstations and the other performance.Is there a good reason why this is? thanks....
  4. Is my Antimalware service executable a virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my Antimalware service executable a virus?: Hi, im having issues with Antimalware service executable using constantly high memory. I have disabled windows defender in every way possible including reg edits and the file still runs the exact same. I am also running 3rd party antivirus software and that has no effect...
  5. So I somehow merged my ssds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    So I somehow merged my ssds: So I used intel rapid storage technology and somehow merge the two and I want to know if I can separate them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/so-i-somehow-merged-my-ssds/dc440b4b-1a9a-4eee-ac31-3e7a2fef6ac7
  6. How can I kill the Antimalware Service Executable (MsMpEng.exe) process, and stop the...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I kill the Antimalware Service Executable (MsMpEng.exe) process, and stop the...: I know that there are many articles about it, and I have read them all, but nothing works. It's using hundreds of megabytes of RAM, which induces my PC to freeze every 30 seconds. Things I have tried: 1) Disabling everything in Windows Defender/Security Center. The process...
  7. I want to kill/remove antimalware service executable

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I want to kill/remove antimalware service executable: Don't need alternative antivirus. tried with regedit keys DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntivirus with value 1. tried with local policy edit. My system will always return to previous configuration, and I can't turn it off. How do I kill or remove it. - only acceptable...
  8. How to kill the Antimalware Service Executable on Windows 10?

How to kill the Antimalware Service Executable on Windows 10?: I have tried methods of disabling the software using the registry editor and even using command prompt. But those methods are of no use. They were unable to kill the above mentioned service. I already have an antivirus software installed. I would not bother about the working...
  9. Antimalware Service Executable is killing me.. please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Antimalware Service Executable is killing me.. please help: A few days ago I sat at my computer only to find it burning hot (by far the hottest I’ve ever felt it), as Antimalware Service Executable was sucking nearly all the CPU & Ram. It has been days, I have tried everything I can find and have spent hours trying to fix this issue....
  10. IS MICROSOFT ANTIMALWARE SERVICE IN MY COMPUTER OR IS IT ENGAGED THROUGH THE INTERNET.

IS MICROSOFT ANTIMALWARE SERVICE IN MY COMPUTER OR IS IT ENGAGED THROUGH THE INTERNET.: I keep getting the error "Failed to connect with Microsoft antimalware service in a timely manner" when I try to install Microsoft Security Essentials. I had it installed, removed it and am trying to reinstall. What needs to happen to get the service connected? I am online...