Windows 10: Antimalware services and search indexer RAM usage

Discus and support Antimalware services and search indexer RAM usage in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I need to know whether it is normal to have 300-500 mb RAM usage for antimalware services , then rise gradually to 700 mb while using the laptop (not a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/asseramrgabr123, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Antimalware services and search indexer RAM usage

I need to know whether it is normal to have 300-500 mb RAM usage for antimalware services , then rise gradually to 700 mb while using the laptop (not a must to rise , but the weird thing that when it rise , it doesn't decrease "After a full scan") The same thing goes to search indexer ...is it normal to have it 90 - 200 mb RAM usage ? This rises suddenly then go down ..it isn't constant. Also is Microsoft compatibility telemetry , it it normal to have it rise suddenly in the cpu usage to 16% for a few seconds then go down?

I am a bit worried that I got a virus , but when I did a full scan with MS defender , no threats (except for PUD " utorrent" and I deleted it , but will download it later). After the scan , the antimalware went to 700mb RAM usage and never went down except after a reboot.

Please somebody clarify to me : Is this normal ? + can you upload a screenshot of a task manager containing processes with RAM, CPU and Disk usage (if that's available of course)? I just want to know the regular usage values for these processes.

Thanks in advance

submitted by /u/asseramrgabr123
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/asseramrgabr123, Dec 1, 2020

2. Antimalware service executable high ram usage

So my antimalware service executable(MsMpEng.exe) is using around 200mb ram and slowly keeps going up the longer my pc is on.

Ive added it to the list of exclusions and unchecked all conditions in task scheduler. Can someone tell me how to reduce the ram usage without disabling it? Because i dont have any other antivirus.

Matrixx _02, Dec 1, 2020
  3. Extreme Ram Usage!

Extreme Ram usage and would like to know why or if anyone else is having the same Issue Leader of the Group is Antimalware Services Executable (67.1MB) Followed By Service Host Local System (43.1MB), Windows Search Indexer, and Cortana, Which I have never
    set up for use (38.1MB) I am running 6Gigs Ram and the machine is using 50% What and Why?

EricJenson, Dec 1, 2020
  4. Antimalware services and search indexer RAM usage

Antimalware Service Executable hogging up a lot of RAM.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing high RAM usage issue due to Antimalware Service Executable.

It is one of the background-running services in Windows Defender. Antimalware Service Executable is running to scan the malware and spyware when you access them. It will detect if there’s anything harmful on your PC Aside from that, it also takes a
    background scan of your system for any viruses or worms. Its scanning relies heavily on your computer’s CPU, that’s why you find it’s eating the CPU usage on your Windows 10.

To get this sorted, I suggest to follow the steps below:

Method 1:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type taskschd.msc and click on OK.
    1. Now expand Task Scheduler Library >
      Microsoft > Windows
    2. Select Windows Defender and on the right hand pane double-click on
      Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.
    3. Under General tab, uncheck the box next to
      Run with highest privileges.
    4. Select Conditions tab, uncheck all the items and click on
      OK.

Method 2:

Add Antimalware Service Executable to Windows Defender exclusion list.

1. Press Windows + I keys together to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Update &
      Security and select Windows Security.
    3. Now click on Open Windows
      Security
    4. Click on Virus & threat protection
    5. Under Virus & threat protection settings click on
      Manage settings.
    6. Scroll down and look for Exclusions and select
      Add or remove exclusions.
    7. Click on Add an exclusion and select
      Process.
    8. Type MsMpEng.exe and click on
      Add

Restart the PC and check if the RAM usage is high.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

Antimalware services and search indexer RAM usage

1. Antimalware services and search indexer RAM usage - Similar Threads - Antimalware services search

2. AntiMalware Service Executable High Ram Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AntiMalware Service Executable High Ram Usage: For 2 weeks now the Microsoft antimalware service has been using 250-300MB of ram. I watched a lot of videos and tried a lot of solutions and nothing worked. It is slowing my laptop down....
  3. AntiMalware Service Executable High Ram Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AntiMalware Service Executable High Ram Usage: For 2 weeks now the Microsoft antimalware service has been using 250-300MB of ram. I watched a lot of videos and tried a lot of solutions and nothing worked. It is slowing my laptop down....
  4. Antimalware Service high ram usage in task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Antimalware Service high ram usage in task manager: Antimalware Service high ram usage in task manager using 90 % ram https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-service-high-ram-usage-in-task-manager/d624e91e-35b8-4dba-89a2-c2ba194055c8
  5. Antimalware Service high ram usage in task manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Antimalware Service high ram usage in task manager: Antimalware Service high ram usage in task manager using 90 % ram https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/antimalware-service-high-ram-usage-in-task-manager/d624e91e-35b8-4dba-89a2-c2ba194055c8
  6. Antimalware Service high ram usage in task manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Antimalware service executable taking up ram usage

Antimalware service executable taking up ram usage: Hello! I am a windows 10 pro user. Well, this issue causes a lot of ram usage on my pc. I followed all the steps from other similar threads but, every time I boot my pc, my memory usage frantically spikes between 56-63% and when combining with the effect of opening other...
  8. Antimalware Service Executable (MsMpEng.exe) high RAM usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Antimalware Service Executable (MsMpEng.exe) high RAM usage: For about 2 days now i've seen Antimalware Service Executable use up big amounts of RAM when playing different games like CSGO (up to 4/16gb). Since then i've tried several different things that i found on different forums. I tried: - Disabling Windows Defender - Changing...
  9. Antimalware Service Executable High RAM and CPU usage.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antimalware Service Executable High RAM and CPU usage.: Hello! I was wondering why Antimalware Service Executable is taking up over half of my computer's RAM and CPU usage. I tried excluding it in Windows Security and trying to change the schedule in Task Scheduler, but no luck. I have the latest version of Windows 10 just so you...
  10. Antimalware service executable high ram usage

Antimalware service executable high ram usage: So my antimalware service executableMsMpEng.exe is using around 200mb ram and slowly keeps going up the longer my pc is on. Ive added it to the list of exclusions and unchecked all conditions in task scheduler. Can someone tell me how to reduce the ram usage without...