Windows 10: Antivirus for Windows 7: support continues

Discus and support Antivirus for Windows 7: support continues in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; All antivirus solutions remain supported on Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system after Microsoft ended support for it on January 14, 2020. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jan 30, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Antivirus for Windows 7: support continues

All antivirus solutions remain supported on Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system after Microsoft ended support for it on January 14, 2020.

The Windows 7 operating system has a large usage base even after support end. While the trend showed a decline for some time, latest NetMarketShare usage stats suggest that it is still installed on over 30% of desktop devices worldwide.

Enterprise customers and businesses may buy support extensions for up to three years; Microsoft decided against making the same offer to users of Home versions of Windows 7.

While Microsoft's support ended in January, some of the company's products and most third-party products continue to support Windows 7 at least for the time being.

Antivirus solutions are essential for devices that connect to the Internet or public networks, especially if the operating system itself is out of support and won't receive security updates anymore.

Tip: Home users may use the solution provided by 0Patch to receive some free (some paid) security patches for Windows 7 after support end.

Antivirus for Windows 7: support continues antivirus-support-windows-7.png

Antivirus solutions never provide 100% protection and that is even more so the case when it comes to operating systems that are not supported with security patches anymore. A good antivirus solution may however prevent certain attacks or reduce the impact that these attacks have, especially if it is updated regularly.

German antivirus testing institute AV Test wanted to know which antivirus solutions would continue to support Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system after support end, and for how long.

The institute contacted antivirus companies to find out and published a table of its findings on its website. According to the information, most antivirus solutions continue to be supported on Windows 7 for at least two years. All companies continue to support their antivirus solution with signature updates for the time being.

Here is the summary:

• Microsoft Security Essentials -- no more program updates, but signature updates continue to be provided.
    • Sophos -- on premise support until December 2020, cloud-managed support until June 2021.
    • McAfee -- at least until December 2021.
    • F-Secure - at least until December 2021.
    • Avira -- support ends November 2022.
    • AhnLab, AVG, Avast, Bitdefender, Bullgard, Carbon Black, ESET, FireEye, G Data, Ikarus, Kaspersky, K7 Computing, Microworld, PC Matic, Quickheal, Sqqrite, Symantec/NortonLifeLock, ThreatTrack / Vipre, TotalAV, Trend Micro -- support for at least 2 years.

Now You: Still on Windows 7? What do you plan to do about it? (via Born)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Antivirus for Windows 7: support continues appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jan 30, 2020
  2. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Jan 30, 2020
  3. lse123 Win User
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I think in one of the other PC with win 7 or win 8.1 I run media creators tools and in some step prompt/found graphics card not supported... for win 10. I didn't found alone reading specs of win 10, but the tool says me... after changed graphics card the tool said all OK and continued OK with upgrade... That I ask to reach this step in this current PC - win 7 - must be all OK for the upgrade? Or must continue to upgrade to show this?
    and got to point

• UPGRADE this PC now
    • Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO)
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC???

lse123, Jan 30, 2020
  4. Antivirus for Windows 7: support continues

Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Antivirus for Windows 7: support continues [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

Antivirus for Windows 7: support continues

1. Antivirus for Windows 7: support continues - Similar Threads - Antivirus support continues

2. McAfee Antivirus Installation Support In Windows System

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    McAfee Antivirus Installation Support In Windows System: There are a few methods for contacting McAfee support: 1. Phone Support: You can get in touch with McAfee Antivirus Support team by calling their toll-free : 877 _369_ O875. They have a committed group that can help you with any requests or issues you may have. 2....
  3. continue support case 1054698018

in Windows 10 Gaming
    continue support case 1054698018: continue support case 1054698018 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/continue-support-case-1054698018/e9c6b4d9-1f8d-4eff-b5c0-88fe7616902c
  4. continue support case 1054698018

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    continue support case 1054698018: continue support case 1054698018 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/continue-support-case-1054698018/e9c6b4d9-1f8d-4eff-b5c0-88fe7616902c
  5. continue support for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    continue support for Windows 10: I like to suggest that Microsoft continue support for Windows 10. https://akams/AAczOrOPlease upvote my feedback. Insider feedback https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/continue-support-for-windows-10/5a846fad-a7f6-41fa-b093-57781b689672
  6. What is best Antivirus software for windows 7

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is best Antivirus software for windows 7: Hello, My name is Steven lash San Diego, I have been using windows for many years but for last couple of months my laptop has been infected with virus. I have been using Microsoft Essential security antivirus for many years but it would not work properly on my laptop, can...
  7. Antivirus support

Antivirus support: hey, I am Stephen technical advisor visit my top antivirus websites: If you are facing any issues regarding and you will get an instant online solution . For more details visit this link which is given below: BT Mail is a free email service offered by BT Broadband. Just...
  8. ANTIVIRUS WINDOWS 7

ANTIVIRUS WINDOWS 7: Hi, can anyone recommend or tell me which would be the best antivirus protection to buy for windows 7 going forward from here? I am a private home user that just isn't ready to give up 7 yet. I hate windows 10. So I need a good protection program/software to protect my my...
  9. Windows 7 support

Windows 7 support: so i bought an original windows 7 disc 3 years ago and used it on my now broken gaming laptop i am planning on making a new pc on february this year but apparently windows 7 support will end this month, will i still be able to use my windows 7 key on my new pc and upgrade it...
  10. Windows 10 builds: please continue support

Windows 10 builds: please continue support: I've read in one of Microsoft's website and states that like 1703, support will end this year and like 1709, support will end April of next year. I would like it that previous builds, including 1803 will continue support. Sometimes, devices might not be compatible with...