Windows 10: Antivirus needed??

Discus and support Antivirus needed?? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I've read that win10 loads the Defender already working. With regular internet use (email, surfing, youtube, netflix, amazon, ebay) is 3rd party... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KLund1, Jan 28, 2015.

1. KLund1 Win User

Antivirus needed??

I've read that win10 loads the Defender already working. With regular internet use (email, surfing, youtube, netflix, amazon, ebay) is 3rd party antivirus needed? Though I do run AdMucher on any win OS always. I see that AVG does work with win10 but needed??
    Your thoughts???
    Thanks

:)

KLund1, Jan 28, 2015
  2. Scyfth Win User
    Scyfth, Jan 28, 2015
  3. Antivirus

My storage on the phone keeps on moving up as I delete items. I need a way out, probably an antivirus

MarcellinusSalifu, Jan 28, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Antivirus needed??

It's up to you and you're going to get differing thoughts on this. For now I would stick with defender until the AV makers get caught up with their testing with Win10. But, Bitdefender does work with Win10.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2015
  5. I believe that's true but that was the same for Windows 8 too, Windows defender replaced Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE).

I have used MSE for a long time and now using Windows Defender from Windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 Update 1...
    Had no issues and been seen as a very stable and popular AV.

-Jamie

JDobbsy1987, Jan 28, 2015
  6. diggy33 Win User
    Whether you need additional AV protection in conjunction or in replacement of what Microsoft offers is a matter up to you. On a few of my past Windows 7 machines I've run Bitdefender in conjunction with Malwarebytes, and used the same set up when I first moved to Windows 8. Since 8.1 I've used Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. Never had any issues with Bitdefender, I just didnt feel like paying for the license again, and feel that the combination of Defender and Malwarebytes is more than sufficient for my browsing habits.

diggy33, Jan 28, 2015
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    It is always best to use an AV product that is advertised as being compatible with the OS you are using. At the present time no third party AV product could honestly claim that. After Windows 10 has been officially released you can consider alternatives but until then it is probably best to stick with Windows Defender.

LMiller7, Jan 28, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Antivirus needed??

I tried Bitdefender with the latest build and it works fine.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 28, 2015
  9. It works, many people have advised it works.

Maybe LMiller7 is referring to the manufacturer declaring support for the OS, currently Bitdefender don't officially say it is compatible.

JDobbsy1987, Jan 28, 2015
  10. KLund1 Win User
    Thanks everyone. All very good advise.
    Since we all are in the 'testing phase' I'll stick with Defender for now, until it dose not do what it should be doing for my needs.
    Thanks again all!!

KLund1, Jan 28, 2015
  11. wptski Win User
    MS Defender didn't stop a browser hijacker for me. I'd never trust it myself. MBAM couldn't even remove all of it once installed. Luckily a had a backup using a third party app. I use Webroot which won't let me download stuff that MS Defender lets by.

wptski, Jan 29, 2015
  12. Unfortunately i believe this will be the case with any AV regardless of how good it may be, they can't protect you from everything out there but will eliminate the vast majority of threats providing your AV is up to date.

I used to use AVG Free for XP and half of my use of Windows 7 at which point started using MSE (Defender from Windows 8... as MSE was built into Defender).

AVG - Had 1 or 2 infections (I had a lot to do with that i'm sure)
    MSE/Defender - Not had an infection yet

Everyone will have their own story which brings us back to the age old question of "Which AV is the best?"... There isn't a 'Best' one.

-Jamie

JDobbsy1987, Jan 29, 2015
  13. swarfega Win User

Antivirus needed??

I don't believe Windows Defender is good enough for the job. And like any version of Windows you need a robust security setup. I have AVG free installed and have had no issues so far.

swarfega, Jan 29, 2015
  14. wptski Win User
    This is the same song and dance I hear every time I tell this story. If the free AV app allowed an infection I don't know how you can say, nothing is perfect and continue to use it. In W7 Webroot blocked the download of a file but in W10, MS Defender allowed it to be downloaded. The choice is clear to me.

wptski, Jan 29, 2015
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    In the end of the day the best AV is still the one between your ears. *Wink

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 29, 2015
Thema:

Antivirus needed??

1. Antivirus needed?? - Similar Threads - Antivirus needed

2. ive just reinstalled windows and now it wont let me access antivirus settings? sais i need...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ive just reinstalled windows and now it wont let me access antivirus settings? sais i need...: ive just reinstalled windows and now it wont let me access antivirus settings? sais i need to contact it help desk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ive-just-reinstalled-windows-and-now-it-wont-let/52564177-7bab-4770-b76d-320de5c7888c
  3. ive just reinstalled windows and now it wont let me access antivirus settings? sais i need...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ive just reinstalled windows and now it wont let me access antivirus settings? sais i need...: ive just reinstalled windows and now it wont let me access antivirus settings? sais i need to contact it help desk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ive-just-reinstalled-windows-and-now-it-wont-let/52564177-7bab-4770-b76d-320de5c7888c
  4. I have a new laptop with Windows 11, do I need to get extra antivirus malware protection or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a new laptop with Windows 11, do I need to get extra antivirus malware protection or...: My question is simple but very important to me.I have got a new laptop with Windows 11, do I need to get extra antivirus malware protection or with Windows Defender I am sufficiently covered?...
  5. I have a new laptop with Windows 11, do I need to get extra antivirus malware protection or...

I have a new laptop with Windows 11, do I need to get extra antivirus malware protection or...: My question is simple but very important to me.I have got a new laptop with Windows 11, do I need to get extra antivirus malware protection or with Windows Defender I am sufficiently covered?...
  6. Why does the Microsoft taking forever to signing in when i need to install antivirus software?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does the Microsoft taking forever to signing in when i need to install antivirus software?: Hey guys, i am beyond frustrated right now. I think i have a virus on my computer and ive tried to use three different anti virus software with no luck on performing a virus scan. One was Windows Defender which said no action was needed, then I tried to install Bitdefender...
  7. Why does the Microsoft taking forever to signing in when i need to install antivirus software?

Why does the Microsoft taking forever to signing in when i need to install antivirus software?: Hey guys, i am beyond frustrated right now. I think i have a virus on my computer and ive tried to use three different anti virus software with no luck on performing a virus scan. One was Windows Defender which said no action was needed, then I tried to install Bitdefender...
  8. Unable to connect to internet when antivirus needs to be updated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect to internet when antivirus needs to be updated: Sometimes when I turn my laptop on, it will be disconnect from the wifi and when I go to the bottom right and click on the network icon no options besides airplane mode show up. The way I’ve found to fix this is to connect my computer through ethernet and update the windows...
  9. Unable to connect to internet when antivirus needs to be updated

Unable to connect to internet when antivirus needs to be updated: Sometimes when I turn my laptop on, it will be disconnect from the wifi and when I go to the bottom right and click on the network icon no options besides airplane mode show up. The way I’ve found to fix this is to connect my computer through ethernet and update the windows...
  10. Unable to connect to internet when antivirus needs to be updated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing