Windows 10: antivirus software

Discus and support antivirus software in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Having used Norton, then McAfee and most recently Bitdefender in WIndows 10, I am back to Windows Defender. The vendors are apparently in a battle to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by dpx9922, Jun 7, 2020.

1. dpx9922 Win User

antivirus software

Having used Norton, then McAfee and most recently Bitdefender in WIndows 10, I am back to Windows Defender. The vendors are apparently in a battle to add features, including VPN and backup, taking on wifi monitoring, and generally making it more difficult for me to work. I am tired of responding to incomprehensible prompts. Most recently Bitdefender blocked access to one of my Steam games and asked me to add the game to an approved list and directed me to a directory of saved games to locate the executable file. Whether all this aggressive assumption of control of my PC is providing better security I cannot say. I had Bitdefender on a couple of Mac laptops and there the scope is much more limited to antivirus. Consequently I did not see much of Bitdefender though uninstalling it was a pain requiring me to issue terminal commands. The reviews for antivirus or security software in places like PC World are superficial, not much more than copying whatever the vendor says the software can do. It would be good if someone did critical reviews and I am interested in whether anyone can direct me to sites that provide this.

:)

dpx9922, Jun 7, 2020
  2. Ṣmeed Win User

Antivirus software

-

Windows comes with in-built Windows Defender Antivirus.

You might want to read:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hub/4099151/windows-security-help

especially:
    Stay protected with Windows Security

Also see:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4466972/windows-10-antivirus-and-antimalware-software-faq

Whether you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus or a third party product depends on your personal preferences.

No matter on what you decide, you might want to download and run occasional scans with on-demand scanners...

Suggest reading all of
    Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

especially:

Ṣmeed, Jun 7, 2020
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jun 7, 2020
  4. antivirus software

AntiVirus Software - Scam?

As per my suggestion there is no need to have antivirus software for your device.

Krishna Parab, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

antivirus software

1. antivirus software - Similar Threads - antivirus software

2. explorer.exe fake timestamp and surveil Chinese antivirus software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    explorer.exe fake timestamp and surveil Chinese antivirus software: Dear Microsoft team,I hope this message finds you well. I'm an enthusiastic and committed user of your products, but I've recently come across a concerning issue that I and others in the community would appreciate your immediate attention to.In the latest operating system...
  3. explorer.exe fake timestamp and surveil Chinese antivirus software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer.exe fake timestamp and surveil Chinese antivirus software: Dear Microsoft team,I hope this message finds you well. I'm an enthusiastic and committed user of your products, but I've recently come across a concerning issue that I and others in the community would appreciate your immediate attention to.In the latest operating system...
  4. explorer.exe fake timestamp and surveil Chinese antivirus software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does the Microsoft taking forever to signing in when i need to install antivirus software?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does the Microsoft taking forever to signing in when i need to install antivirus software?: Hey guys, i am beyond frustrated right now. I think i have a virus on my computer and ive tried to use three different anti virus software with no luck on performing a virus scan. One was Windows Defender which said no action was needed, then I tried to install Bitdefender...
  6. Why does the Microsoft taking forever to signing in when i need to install antivirus software?

Why does the Microsoft taking forever to signing in when i need to install antivirus software?: Hey guys, i am beyond frustrated right now. I think i have a virus on my computer and ive tried to use three different anti virus software with no luck on performing a virus scan. One was Windows Defender which said no action was needed, then I tried to install Bitdefender...
  7. What antivirus and firewall software can I use with Windows 11?

What antivirus and firewall software can I use with Windows 11?: What antivirus and firewall software can I use with Windows 11? I installed and used both zone alarm free and avast anti-virus free. my laptop is:...
  8. What antivirus and firewall software can I use with Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What antivirus and firewall software can I use with Windows 11?: What antivirus and firewall software can I use with Windows 11? I installed and used both zone alarm free and avast anti-virus free. my laptop is:...
  9. Can I Scan With Window Defender Even I Have Already Installed 3rd Party Antivirus Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I Scan With Window Defender Even I Have Already Installed 3rd Party Antivirus Software: If Yes, Can Both Of It Scan At The Same Time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-scan-with-window-defender-even-i-have/8be95b6f-cd6f-493f-9da2-39b231b5e30d
  10. Can I Scan With Window Defender Even I Have Already Installed 3rd Party Antivirus Software

Can I Scan With Window Defender Even I Have Already Installed 3rd Party Antivirus Software: If Yes, Can Both Of It Scan At The Same Time? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-scan-with-window-defender-even-i-have/8be95b6f-cd6f-493f-9da2-39b231b5e30d