Windows 10: Any advantage to upgrade motherboard specifically for Windows 10 ?

Discus and support Any advantage to upgrade motherboard specifically for Windows 10 ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We know that Windows 10 will work on hardware designed for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, but is there any advantage to upgrading the motherboard of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kanata, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Kanata Win User

Any advantage to upgrade motherboard specifically for Windows 10 ?

We know that Windows 10 will work on hardware designed for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, but is there any advantage to upgrading the motherboard of a fairly recent system that runs Windows 8.1 comfortably now? I see MB manufacturers are producing Windows 10 certified boards. Any feature in Windows 10 that needs a special hardware feature not currently on present systems?

:)

Kanata, Jun 3, 2015

2. windows 10 upgrade

If that computer has already been updated (even with a different hard drive - as long as the motherboard is still the same, really) and activated with Windows 10 - you already have taken advantage of the Windows 10 Free Upgrade offer and have a license for
    Windows 10 for that specific system for the life of that system.

In any case, download the ISO, create bootable media, boot and perform a clean install.

Shenan Stanley, Jun 3, 2015
  3. windows 10 upgrade

it was my friends hard drive and its in his pc. i have not yet updated to windows 10 and im still running windows 7 i have no license for windows 10.

seanCarr77, Jun 3, 2015
  4. Any advantage to upgrade motherboard specifically for Windows 10 ?

Hey there,

The three big ones are SSE2, NX and PAE. All of which should be enabled on a relatively new board anyway, especially if it runs windows 8.1 fine.

So long as you can ensure your systems run windows 8.1, there are fewer requirements for the upgrade then you would expect.

But you can find the minimal requirements here, and this shouldn't change too much between now and July! -- System requirements - Microsoft Windows

Windows Sniper, Jun 3, 2015
  5. Generally, you can't do much to "upgrade" a motherboard other than adding memory and cards (and in the newer boards, mSata sticks).

From what I've read some features of win10 (i.e., fingerprint reading, iris scanning) will require new hardware -- and if those are available to plug into an existing motherboard, and you want those features, then "upgrading" (in that manner) makes sense.

Mark Phelps, Jun 4, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree.. the only reason to put in a new motherboard would be to replace a broken one. There will not be any performance improvement upgrading to another brand.

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Any advantage to upgrade motherboard specifically for Windows 10 ?

1. Any advantage to upgrade motherboard specifically for Windows 10 ? - Similar Threads - advantage upgrade motherboard

2. what, if any, are the advantages of upgrading to windows 11? I have heard that it is not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what, if any, are the advantages of upgrading to windows 11? I have heard that it is not...: windows 11 upgrade?* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-if-any-are-the-advantages-of-upgrading-to/53de727b-6cc4-44fa-8b72-a1d4fe4f6a34
  3. what, if any, are the advantages of upgrading to windows 11? I have heard that it is not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what, if any, are the advantages of upgrading to windows 11? I have heard that it is not...: windows 11 upgrade?* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-if-any-are-the-advantages-of-upgrading-to/53de727b-6cc4-44fa-8b72-a1d4fe4f6a34
  4. Does Tablet mode have any advantages?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Tablet mode have any advantages?: My Pc has become really slow. A friend of mine told me to use Tablet mode to better perfomance. Is this really true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-tablet-mode-have-any-advantages/ef9fe00f-cb3a-4805-b3ba-fbe2c1b31798
  5. Specific hard drive - motherboard combo does not start after windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Specific hard drive - motherboard combo does not start after windows 10 upgrade: Hi, I have a very curious problem. It all started with me trying to update an old windows 7 Medion PC to windows 10. Installation went great, until the restart at 30%. It took me a while to figure out, but this was due to the Medion BIOS not working nicely with the windows...
  6. Specification of my motherboard

in Windows 10 Customization
    Specification of my motherboard: I want to know which version of SATA does Zeb g41 d3 supports ?? Coz I want to buy ssd anyone having answers??. And also does anyone know a accurate decrypter of vari Randsomware. This has encrypted my files...
  7. Is there any advantage .....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there any advantage .....: to running a static IP. If how to set it up and where to get the settings. "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." John Muir...
  8. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro - Any speed advantage?

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro - Any speed advantage?: I am considering upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro. I am wondering if there is any speed advantage resulting from the upgrade. I frequently process 60 MB raw files in Capture One Pro and transfer them to Photoshop. Photoshop files can range upwards of 100 MB. Frequently I have...
  9. No RAM specifications nor motherboard information. How to upgrade?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No RAM specifications nor motherboard information. How to upgrade?: Hi community, I have a custom built Desktop with Windows 10 - 64-bit system. I did not build the Desktop myself and I have no information anymore about the builder. I am trying to upgrade the RAM, but cannot find any information on the speed or type neither motherboard...
  10. ASUS Motherboard specific

ASUS Motherboard specific: Hi, This forum is my go-to for many things, but this time my question is ASUS motherboard specific. Can anyone guide me to a solid forum where I might be able to ask about my ASUS board? I have 2 questions 1. In UEFI, select XMP 1 or XMP 2 if I'm using ASUS' AI Overclocking...