Windows 10: Any advantage using mklink instead of changing location?

Discus and support Any advantage using mklink instead of changing location? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. I moved some of my libraries using the following. from an administrative command prompt robocopy /MIR... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ojustaboo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Ojustaboo Win User

Any advantage using mklink instead of changing location?

Hi all.

I moved some of my libraries using the following.

I did this for most of my libraries and "Public Documents"

Is there any advantage/drawback to doing it the way I did it as opposed to right clicking the library in explorer, selecting "Properties" selecting "Location" tab and moving it that way?

Many thanks

:)

Ojustaboo, Jan 8, 2018

2. any competitive advantage of using windows phone 8 with windows 8 etc.

It's the integration. All you need is a single Microsoft Account to keep these products together.

Renan M. Gallardo, Jan 8, 2018
  3. Lenny Li Win User
    any competitive advantage of using windows phone 8 with windows 8 etc.

since windows phone 8 has similar name to windows 8, is there any unique special advantage to use and own windows 8, windows phone 8, skydrive, xbox 360 with kinect all together compared to having different versions or having different competing products
    from other vendors?

Lenny Li, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Ojustaboo Win User

reason I ask is I use a piece of music software (Cubase)

When I create a new project and save it to documents, the window tells me its saving to C:\Users\Joe\Documents

But if I close and reopen it, it opens it from D:\Documents.

While its the same file, Cubase gets confused and asks me the following

And when I asked about this on Cubase forum, someone responded that to move the libraries, the correct way is to right click on it in explorer, select properties, select the Location tab and do it that way.

I would have thought that using mklink cant be any worse than using the location tab?

Thanks

Ojustaboo, Jan 9, 2018
  5. I did it that way without any problems.

Josey Wales, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Ojustaboo Win User
    I used to do it using the location tab, but a few bits of software still managed to put stuff into my C drive.

I would have two Documents in c:\Users\Joe

One pointing to Documents on my D drive, and another that appeared to have the same name, but was an actual directory on my C drive. (Some of the software I use is quite old)

Since using mklink, I haven't had this problem

I could always back up the directory contents, remove the links, then move with location, but I wondered if anyone knows why I should need to do this?

Ojustaboo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Any advantage using mklink instead of changing location? - Similar Threads - advantage using mklink

2. Does Tablet mode have any advantages?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Tablet mode have any advantages?: My Pc has become really slow. A friend of mine told me to use Tablet mode to better perfomance. Is this really true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-tablet-mode-have-any-advantages/ef9fe00f-cb3a-4805-b3ba-fbe2c1b31798
  3. Does Tablet mode have any advantages?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Tablet mode have any advantages?: My Pc has become really slow. A friend of mine told me to use Tablet mode to better perfomance. Is this really true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-tablet-mode-have-any-advantages/ef9fe00f-cb3a-4805-b3ba-fbe2c1b31798
  4. Does Tablet mode have any advantages?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. mklink

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mklink: I am trying to remove all my pictures from the C:\ drive and place them on my D:\ drive to save space. I have moved all the pictures from the C:\ drive to the D:\, no problem. D:\ is a separate drive, not a partition. I am trying to use mklink /d and link back to the C:\...
  6. mklink

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mklink: I am trying to remove all my pictures from the C:\ drive and place them on my D:\ drive to save space. I have moved all the pictures from the C:\ drive to the D:\, no problem. D:\ is a separate drive, not a partition. I am trying to use mklink /d and link back to the C:\...
  7. mklink

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Is there any advantage .....

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there any advantage .....: to running a static IP. If how to set it up and where to get the settings. "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe." John Muir...
  9. MKLINK not working

in Windows 10 Support
    MKLINK not working: winver 18363.628 Never had any problems with this before. Re-checked the MKLINK tutorial, trying cmd and PowerShell. Added the quotes to target and link too, but same result So here are the commands in cmd with error messages. Note that I tried the hard link option too...
  10. Mklink created to move Edge cache but cache not in target location?

in Windows 10 Support
    Mklink created to move Edge cache but cache not in target location?: I have a curious MKLINK issue with Win 10 Pro. I wonder if someone could clarify for me. Latest updates as of 23/4/19. Desktop Intel i7. 16 Gig RAM. First, I have a folder on J:\XMKLINK TEST. I created mklink /D "L:\XMLINK TEST" "J:\XMLINK TEST" Explorer shows the orig folder...