Windows 10: Any Cure Yet for Desktop Icons Moving, Changing, Resizing themselves?

Discus and support Any Cure Yet for Desktop Icons Moving, Changing, Resizing themselves? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I read through a long thread from last year here: Desktop icons keep rearranging That ended about where it started: No cure. I was struck by how many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cognus, Dec 17, 2018.

1. cognus Win User

Any Cure Yet for Desktop Icons Moving, Changing, Resizing themselves?

I read through a long thread from last year here: Desktop icons keep rearranging
    That ended about where it started: No cure. I was struck by how many people have this issue of Icons set on the desktop, which move around after restarts or other interruptions, are inconsistent in size, or disappear [onto a non-existent phantom desktop?].

Here on the edge of 2019, is there a cure yet, other than 3rd Party apps like "Desktop OK"? I had not seen this problem since Windows NT days, but now just in the last week I've seen it twice, on 2 NEW laptops with clean Windows 10 installs "from scratch".

any hope?

:)

cognus, Dec 17, 2018
  2. S WMARR Win User

Windows 10 desktop Icon resizing?

I found out how to resize desktop icons, see below ,

To change the desktop icons take the steps below:

· Right click on an empty area of the desktop

· Select ‘View’

From here we will have three options:

· Large Icons

· Medium Icons

· Classic Icons

When you select the options listed above the icons will change based on the size selected.

S WMARR, Dec 17, 2018
  3. resize desktop icons

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and your interest in Windows 10.

Method 1:

To change the desktop icons take the steps below:

· Right click on an empty area of the desktop

· Select ‘View’

From here we will have three options:

· Large Icons

· Medium Icons

· Classic Icons

Method 2:

To resize the icons on Windows 10 follow the instructions provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows logo key + I key.
    • Click on System.
    • In Display tab, increase the percentage or bar under change the size of text, apps and other items.
    • Click on Apply button.
    Keep us posted with the status of the issue.

Akheel Ahmed, Dec 17, 2018
  4. John Vil Win User

moving and resizing

Hi Bob,

There may be several reasons why you are unable to resize or move applications after installing an update. To better assist you with your concern, we would like you to answer the questions below:

• Does it happen only on one application?
    • Which application are you having issues resizing or moving?

In the meantime, we suggest you to run the Windows 10 troubleshooter. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key +X, select
      Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Windows Store apps troubleshooter
    Let us know how it goes.

John Vil, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Any Cure Yet for Desktop Icons Moving, Changing, Resizing themselves? - Similar Threads - Cure Yet Desktop

2. Desktop icons keep resetting themselves

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop icons keep resetting themselves: I am trying to use custom icons for my file folders, however, they keep resetting to the standard folder icon. I am right clicking on the folder>properties>customize>change icon>browse>and selecting my downloaded icon. It does show the change, but then reverts back. Anyone...
  3. Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons rearranging themselves after reboot: I'm on Windows 10 2004 Update Build 19041.746 This started happening recently, my desktop icons is always rearranging themselves after every restart. i have arranged them many times as i need and whenever i restart, they comeback to the weird arranging. Auto arrange...
  4. Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves?

Why are my desktop icons rearranging themselves?: Ever since the most recent major Windows 10 update I guess a couple months ago?, every time I log in to my PC, a select few of my desktop icons get moved to a certain place. I have a dual monitor setup, one is plugged into my GPU, the other is plugged to the motherboard. If I...
  5. Desktop Icon Resized Itself

Desktop Icon Resized Itself: How does the recycle bin icon suddenly resize itself on the desktop? It did on my Windows tablet. How do I get it back to normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-resized-itself/ab239c5e-11b9-40a7-af8a-08935f755e64
  6. How to "advanced" resize desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to "advanced" resize desktop icons?: This has always annoyed me. I have one machine that runs one software suite(two desktop apps). I want them to be large icons. Usually one of the apps will scale on its own and the other will not resize, rather just the area to select it gets larger. Usually I load a custom...
  7. How to fix moving, resizing, disappearing, etc desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to fix moving, resizing, disappearing, etc desktop icons?: I have an install with a low end Celeron-based Acer laptop that serves mostly as a desktop, hooked to a big monitor via VGA cable. Unfortunately the laptop must be opened to get to the power button. The user is a legal professional, not a pc tech. with auto-arrange etc...
  8. Desktop Icons/Fonts change sizes by themselves randomly

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons/Fonts change sizes by themselves randomly: My friend can walk away from his computer and come back and the desktop icons/fonts will have changed sizes. It also randomly happens while using the computer/browsing. I have read about other people having this problem with desktop icons but have not found a solution. Any...
  9. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving: my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas? [img] [img] [img] 60173
  10. Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Re-arrange Themselves: I'm resurrecting this because I've finally been able to narrow down what's happening when desktop icons re-arrange themselves even though auto-arrange icons is turned off. I've been paying more attention to what has been done when this occurs and I can now cause this issue to...