Windows 10: Any difference in Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD?

Discus and support Any difference in Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I am facing extremely slow read / write speeds with my present USB 3.0 external HDDs (4TB). I am thinking of switching to ones with an optional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by seymoria, Jun 22, 2018.

1. seymoria Win User

Any difference in Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD?

Hi.
    I am facing extremely slow read / write speeds with my present USB 3.0 external HDDs (4TB).

I am thinking of switching to ones with an optional Thunderbolt connector, like the 2TB Transcend Storejet 300. I was of opinion that it should increase the speed drastically.

However, below article shows there is no difference!
    Transcend StoreJet 300 2TB review - Macworld UK

Why is that, since both connectors have considerable difference in read / write speeds? There is also a considerable difference in the price.

Thanks for guidance.

:)

seymoria, Jun 22, 2018

2. Thunderbolt 3 not able to display?

Thanks for the response. There is a possibility that your computer doesn't support the new features for your Thunderbolt 3 cable. To resolve the issue, please perform the troubleshooting steps found on this

link
    on how to Fix USB-C problems please browse below for the USB or Thunderbolt device functionality might be limited section.

Update us on the result.

Gerald Vit, Jun 22, 2018
  3. rypz79 Win User
    Windows won't recognize my usb 3.0 external HDD

Hi,

I have 1TB transcend USB 3.0 external HDD.
    Windows did recognized it but no more.

Here is what I've tried:

My PC is HP Spectre x360 4003dx.
    I'm kinda of clueless right now.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Roey

rypz79, Jun 22, 2018
  4. Chino Win User

StarTech Launches Two New Thunderbolt 3 Adapters

StarTech.com has announced the release of two new Thunderbolt 3 adapters that enable access to many different external peripherals and devices using various interfaces. The two new Thunderbolt 3 accessories allow users to extend the life of their external hard drives, USB devices and other specialized laptop peripherals.

The first new Thunderbolt 3 accessory, the Thunderbolt 3 to USB 3.1 Controller Adapter (SKU: TB33A1C), provides dedicated USB 3.0 bandwidth to three USB-A ports and one USB-C port (total of 20 Gbps). The adapter gives the user access to high performance USB peripherals such as storage controllers and 3D scanners from Thunderbolt 3 based laptops. The second new product, the Thunderbolt 3 eSATA Adapter with USB 3.1 (10 Gbps) Port (SKU: TB3ESATU31), offers connections to an external eSATA hard drive or SSD, and to a USB device simultaneously. Both products are beneficial for Windows and MacBook Pro users, where no USB-A ports are available.

Any difference in Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD? B5ASDPBOawxMkHvV_thm.jpg

Any difference in Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD? r5Ei8wRnaMQhFlTX_thm.jpg

Any difference in Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD? nLJVL01dBLyrnrcK_thm.jpg

Any difference in Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD? 1XheHogrJ5d0JJ7b_thm.jpg

"StarTech.com continues to provide connectivity products that take advantage of Thunderbolt 3 technology and maximize the user's experience while preserving their existing investment in peripherals. These products extend the life of high performance legacy peripheral products while allowing users to transition to a Thunderbolt 3 based laptop," said Nirav Gandhi, Director, Product Development, StarTech.com.

Features of the new Thunderbolt 3 accessories include:

Thunderbolt 3 to USB 3.1 Controller Adapter (SKU: TB33A1C)
    • Four times the bandwidth of a traditional USB 3.0 hub, flexible configuration with three USB-A and one USB-C port
    • Flexible connectivity to existing USB 3.0 devices, while being future ready for USB-C devices
    • 2nd Thunderbolt 3 port to daisy chain additional Thunderbolt 3 devices, DisplayPort monitor, or fifth USB device with dedicated 10 Gbps bandwidth
    • Stylish aluminum housing design with included Thunderbolt 3 cable
    • Convenient front charging port for mobile devices
    • External power adapter included for support of USB devices with larger draw
    Thunderbolt 3 eSATA Adapter with USB 3.1 (10 Gbps) Port (SKU: TB3ESATU31)
    • Provides both an eSATA (6 Gbps) and a USB 3.1 (Gen 2 Type-A, 10 Gbps) port connection from a single Thunderbolt 3 port
    • Supports Thunderbolt 3 data rates of up to 20 Gbps, with two dedicated PCI Express lanes (one per port)
    • Compact and durable housing design with an integrated Thunderbolt 3 cable, for maximum portability
    • Supplies power for bus-powered devices (up to 1A on USB port)
    Thunderbolt 3 brings Thunderbolt to USB-C at speeds up to 40 Gb/s, creating one compact port that does it all - delivering the fastest, most versatile connection to any dock, display, or data device. For the first time, one computer port connects to Thunderbolt devices, every display, and billions of USB devices. A single cable now provides four times the data and twice the video bandwidth of any other cable, while also supplying power.

The new Thunderbolt 3 accessories are available at CDW, Amazon.com, Newegg.com, PC Connection, and Insight and will be distributed by Ingram Micro, SYNNEX, Tech Data, D&H and ASI.

Chino, Jun 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Any difference in Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD? - Similar Threads - difference Thunderbolt USB

2. Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive: hello all,I spotted this issue around 1.5 month ago when my Thunderbolt 3 port could not recognize the mobile SSD drive a nvme SSD driver normally C to C cable. Problem:The system can read the drive normally if the device is plugged in BEFORE the laptop is turned on. But the...
  3. Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to display port: Hello random willing stranger Today I bought a new usb-c to displayport cable to properly connect my computer to an external monitor because it was time for a new connection cable and I wanted to exploit the thunderbolt supported usb-c port on my laptop and get some lower...
  4. External HDD/USB.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HDD/USB.: Hello. I have an external HDD docking station connected to my PC thru USB. Devine manager sees it. But Windows explorer does not. Suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hddusb/b0404c2e-056a-4c66-b461-1e5113dc9275
  5. Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers

Thunderbolt 3 USB Devices, Device Mgr and Thunderbolt Drivers: One topic that may be helpful to thunderbolt 3 users on Win 10. For various reasons you can have thunderbolt 3 usb - c port hardware installed on your win 10 box and may not see thunderbolt 3 drivers present in the device mgr. One reason for this is the thunderbolt drivers...
  6. External Thunderbolt 3 RAID Device Disconnecting.

External Thunderbolt 3 RAID Device Disconnecting.: Hello everyone, I've reached the end of my competence in trying to fix an issue I'm having with my PC. This site has been very useful in searching for possible solutions, so I'm hoping you can help me fix my specific problem. The issue is my external RAID array, an ARECA...
  7. How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to display through thunderbolt 3 with "thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter" and...: I have a Lenovo yoga 920 running windows 10, with no HDMI or DisplayPort. I have an apple thunderbolt 3 male/thunderbolt 2 female, adapter. Then I have an old Displayport to HDMI cable. (FYI: thunderbolt 2 and display port used the same connector) When I plug all this...
  8. USB External Drives (3 different types) no longer working

USB External Drives (3 different types) no longer working: Windows 10 x64 (up to date) here. MSI X570 Carbon Wifi Ryzen 3700X GTX 1080ti I have three different external USB drives which are suddenly no longer working. -1 WD My Book 2TB (keeps restarting, disconnects/reconnects as soon as you connect the USB) -1 SanDisk Extreme...
  9. Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD?

Thunderbolt vs USB 3.0 external HDD?: Hi. I am facing extremely slow read / write speeds with my present USB 3.0 external HDDs (4TB). I am thinking of switching to ones with an optional Thunderbolt connector, like the 2TB Transcend Storejet 300. I was of opinion that it should increase the speed drastically....
  10. Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era

in Windows 10 News
    Welcome to the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 Era: [img] USB-C has quickly become ubiquitous, and not just on mobile devices: This incredibly versatile connectivity standard is now pervasive on modern PCs as well. When combined with Thunderbolt 3, it’s nearly perfect. So much so, in fact, that Microsoft needs to adopt...