Windows 10: Any good apps to fix partition/filesystem problems that Chkdsk can't?

Discus and support Any good apps to fix partition/filesystem problems that Chkdsk can't? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a very peculiar problem with my Windows partition. I recently copied the partition over from another drive and all seemed to have gone well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by krashd, Mar 6, 2021.

1. krashd Win User

Any good apps to fix partition/filesystem problems that Chkdsk can't?

I have a very peculiar problem with my Windows partition. I recently copied the partition over from another drive and all seemed to have gone well until I realised none of my three defrag programs worked anymore, each fails with "Move failed, the parameter is incorrect" or something similar. I ran chkdsk (both GUI and CLI) and it detects errors that it can't fix due to the Windows partition being online. So I boot into a Win PE recovery OS and not only does Chkdsk find and fix errors but the defrag program on the disk can defrag the partition. I thought the problem would now be fixed thanks to the magic of Chkdsk but it re-manifests every single time I re-enter Windows.

There is some sort of issue with the partition itself that Chkdsk can't fix though it thinks that it fixes it each time I run Chkdsk from another OS. I did manage to get Chkdsk to function once from inside the dodgy partition and it failed with an error that sounded very similar to the ones that the defrag programs gave me "Cannot perform selfheal", which I took as both Defrag and Chkdsk not being able to alter something.

If anyone has ever seen anything like this and has any ideas for me then that would be fantastic, but for now I would just like recommendations of apps I can use to try and diagnose what the problem is and how to fix it.

PS. Anyone telling me to reinstall Windows will be ignored, if I wanted simpleton advice I would have went to answers.microsoft.

Thx
    Rob

Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.844

:)

krashd, Mar 6, 2021

2. how do i run chkdsk fix under administrator in win 10

please list steps to run chkdsk fix in win 10 as administrator

SabrinaWatkins1, Mar 6, 2021
  3. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Mar 6, 2021
  4. TrTmaster Win User

Raw Partitions

Hi Everyone!

A few days ago, I accidentally told the Ubuntu Installer to wipe my Windows 10 partition. I quit the installer, but my partition is now RAW.

What is a RAW Partition?

In Windows, partitions with an unknown filesystem (like my Ubuntu partition) are marked as RAW. In this case, Windows was unable to recognize the filesystem type. Lets say your Windows partition filesystem gets corrupted badly. Windows would mark
    it as RAW. So, in short, a RAW partition is
    not a filesystem, but an error of the partition.

What happens if you have a RAW partition?

It depends. If your primary partition is RAW, Windows will not boot. Period. If an external storage device or other partition is RAW, Windows will ask you to format it. You will not be able to get any data off of this partition.

Is this error fixable?

It seems like it also depends. If your partition's filesystem got really messed up, then no. This will happen:

> The type of this file system is RAW.

> CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

However, I have seen reports of people fixing a RAW partition. This is what happened:

> The type of this file system is NTFS

> The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.

A little suprising, but this is good. It means that your partition is fixable. The first sector is what caused the RAW error.
    p.s. I used chkdsk to get these errors

How do you fix this error.

First off, you will probably need a Windows Installer device.

If you can get to a command line, skip this part.

Boot from the installer.

Set your keyboard, mouse, etc. Click next.

Click Repair your Computer (bottom-left corner)

Click Advanced Options (or similar)

Now, first, try and use Startup Repair. If Startup Repair works, great! If Startup Repair fails, keep reading.

Open a command line.

Run the following commands in order:

> diskpart

> list volume

This will show you the RAW partition, and what letter it is.

> exit

> chkdsk /r /f D:

Replace D: with the letter from Diskpart.

You should get some errors at the beginning (first sector corrupt). Don't worry, it is actually fixing the second sector!

If that doesn't work, then you are in trouble, and should just reinstall Windows. Sorry

I hope this tutorial was useful. And also, please leave comments if you have another method that worked for you. Thank you!

TrTmaster, Mar 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Any good apps to fix partition/filesystem problems that Chkdsk can't? - Similar Threads - apps fix partition

2. Windows filesystem won't recognise Linux partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows filesystem won't recognise Linux partition: Hi,Recently I installed Linux mint on the HDD of an old workstation that I own. I installed Linux mint onto the HDD by disconnecting the SATA cable that connects my windows boot drive from the SSD, and then installed Linux on the second drive using a Linux mint CD-ROM that I...
  3. Windows filesystem won't recognise Linux partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows filesystem won't recognise Linux partition: Hi,Recently I installed Linux mint on the HDD of an old workstation that I own. I installed Linux mint onto the HDD by disconnecting the SATA cable that connects my windows boot drive from the SSD, and then installed Linux on the second drive using a Linux mint CD-ROM that I...
  4. chkdsk corrupted an NTFS partition and can't seem to repair it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    chkdsk corrupted an NTFS partition and can't seem to repair it: Hi, about two days ago I used a system drive from one PC on another PC to store some important data on one of its partitions. This drive was then chkdsk'd by the Windows install on it when I plugged it back into the original PC, which then somehow corrupted the NTFS partition...
  5. chkdsk corrupted an NTFS partition and can't seem to repair it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    chkdsk corrupted an NTFS partition and can't seem to repair it: Hi, about two days ago I used a system drive from one PC on another PC to store some important data on one of its partitions. This drive was then chkdsk'd by the Windows install on it when I plugged it back into the original PC, which then somehow corrupted the NTFS partition...
  6. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition: Hello,My first problem is that i run powershell with admin rights and ran chkdsk f: /f /r . I thought it would restart pc after that but no, just started running chkdsk until now, so i could access the disk. Now, after about 3 hours total progress is 0%, but in phase 2, is...
  7. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition: Hello,My first problem is that i run powershell with admin rights and ran chkdsk f: /f /r . I thought it would restart pc after that but no, just started running chkdsk until now, so i could access the disk. Now, after about 3 hours total progress is 0%, but in phase 2, is...
  8. Chkdsk fixing corruption/Partition Optimization 1TB HDD

Chkdsk fixing corruption/Partition Optimization 1TB HDD: Hello all, Ever since the beginning of using my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53, I have experienced stuttering whenever I doany kind of new task such as opening an application, opening a new tab, or even just scrolling through a loaded webpage.After doing a multitude of possible...
  9. Any good apps to fix partition/filesystem problems that Chkdsk can't?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any good apps to fix partition/filesystem problems that Chkdsk can't?: I have a very peculiar problem with my Windows partition. I recently copied the partition over from another drive and all seemed to have gone well until I realised none of my three defrag programs worked anymore, each fails with "Move failed, the parameter is incorrect" or...
  10. Chkdsk Logs Partition?

Chkdsk Logs Partition?: Recently I've decided to clean out my Lenovo hard drive from 4 years ago. I noticed Several OEM partitions taking up lots of space( 75GB in total.) So after I deleted a few, there remained one which was only 350 MB which I was not able to do anything with( when I...