Windows 10: Any Launchers or Other Customization that Work with High DPI Monitors?

Discus and support Any Launchers or Other Customization that Work with High DPI Monitors? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I was wondering if there were any launchers that work with high DPI monitors. I am using the very old RocketDock in Windows 10 but when you use it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CerebralFreeze, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Any Launchers or Other Customization that Work with High DPI Monitors?

I was wondering if there were any launchers that work with high DPI monitors.

I am using the very old RocketDock in Windows 10 but when you use it, it doesn't have the crispness in picture quality like everything else so it's a bit annoying.

Can anyone recommend any programs/apps that work with high DPI monitors that is compatible with Windows 10?

:)

CerebralFreeze, Jan 25, 2018

2. high dpi controla are limited in windows 10

I have a high dpi laptop set at 3200 x 1800

A lot of the text, menus, fonts size, messages etc are either too small or not displayed correctly

the controls in the setting menu are very limited and really don't have much effect on the display

the compatibility setting doesn't do much either

other than reducing the resolution I can't find any other adjustments

is there any fixes or hacks or did I waist my money on a high dpi display?

or is it that windows 10 can't handle high dpi yet?

Rob

Robfly80-2, Jan 25, 2018
  3. Vector J Win User
    Vector J, Jan 25, 2018
  4. bbinnard Win User

Any Launchers or Other Customization that Work with High DPI Monitors?

Yes! I found this one a few months ago and it works perfectly:

Home

Now I seldom use the hideous Start menu, and my desktop has no shortcuts on it at all.

bbinnard, Jan 26, 2018
  5. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.

Can I ask how you came across this program? Where do you find good software to use? Free or paid?

CerebralFreeze, Jan 27, 2018
  6. bbinnard Win User
    It it took me a long time to find this one. I had been using the stardock launcher which was okay but not really what I wanted. So every few months I would start searching for Windows launchers and finally found this one. It is free.

bbinnard, Jan 27, 2018
  7. I see. I was wondering if you use a specific method. For example, do you go to Softpedia and see what recent launchers have come out and test them. This would take a long time because to test any software is such a long and harrowing experience as you try to figure everything out.

I hate Stardock btw. I agree that it's necessary to pay for good software but they are way money motivated. I bought one of their products and zero support afterwards. They seem to be looking for the short-term score.

What about objectdock? It seems to have tabs like stablauncher. Seems more updated? I haven't tried it. Just wondering.

8. bbinnard Win User

My "method" was simply to Google "windows launcher" and then check whatever results looked interesting. Almost always the links were to things I had already tried & rejected. I found sTablauncher from reading a post someone made about some other launcher.

I reject all Mac like launchers because none of them allowed for making groups of programs. And also because I didn't want to waste any screen space for the launcher. And also because the way they do their animation is just dumb.

bbinnard, Jan 27, 2018
  9. Thanks for your help. I'll try your suggestion and if I find something better, I'll let you know.

10. dalchina New Member
    I've used this for a few years now- light on resources, configurable.

One small tweak I found useful - I have it docked and hiding at the top (only top and bottom are possible). I found it helpful to increase the open delay (Behaviour) so that it didn't show quickly when moving my mouse to the top of the screen in normal use.

Fully supports drag 'n drop. 1 click to navigate and launch a program.

Not been updated for a long time.

Any Launchers or Other Customization that Work with High DPI Monitors? [​IMG]

I still need a start menu (Classic Shell) to search and access shortcuts to folders and programs- but then I've a lot installed.

dalchina, Jan 27, 2018
  11. Have you ever tried RocketDock before with the Stack docklet. It actually does what I want perfectly except for the fact that it's not high DPI. It annoys me that everything (icons, texts, labels) on my computer is sharp and clear but RocketDock's icons and text labels are all fuzzy.

I'm assuming STabLauncher works with high DPI monitors? I'm kind of worried because it was last updated in 2016. (RocketDock's last update was way before 2016 I think.) I don't want to install it and then find out that it doesn't work with high resolution monitors.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

CerebralFreeze, Jan 29, 2018
  12. bbinnard Win User
    I use it on a 27 inch 4k monitor and it displays just fine.

bbinnard, Jan 29, 2018
  13. Any Launchers or Other Customization that Work with High DPI Monitors?

Not sure if it makes a difference but my monitor is a 30 inch (2560x1400). A lot of the older programs don't scale well on mine, although it got a lot better after the latest Window 10 upgrades.

Given yours is 4k and it looks fine, I'll give it a try. I hope it has almost the same amount of features as rocket dock. Thanks again.

CerebralFreeze, Jan 30, 2018
  14. Edwin New Member
    @CerebralFreeze

With Rocket Dock, are you using .png's that are at least 256X256 for icons?

Any Launchers or Other Customization that Work with High DPI Monitors? [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 30, 2018
  15. I'm not sure if I checked! And, I already installed it! *Banghead

I like RocketDock too. I'm going to reinstall it later this week when I have time and set it up again. *Confused

I'll let you know how it goes. I was going to give STabLauncher a twirl and see how it is. I hate testing new software because it takes such a long time to get used to everything but I'm going to give it a chance. I'll private message you if you want and tell you my opinion on which is better.

Thanks for the sweet observation.

CerebralFreeze, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Any Launchers or Other Customization that Work with High DPI Monitors? - Similar Threads - Launchers Customization High

2. What constitutes a "High DPI" video monitor?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What constitutes a "High DPI" video monitor?: I initially asked this question on the MSDN forum but couldn't find an answer there - so here goes...Visual Studio allows me to compile an app so that it's DPI Aware - in other words, if my video monitor has a high DPI setting, the app will behave differently somehow,...
  3. High-DPI-awareness scaling factors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High-DPI-awareness scaling factors: Hello, all Whan I check the value of GetSystemMetricsSM_CXSCREEN on a high-DPI device with Widnows 10, I see that the ratio between virtual and physical pixels is exactly two: GetSystemMetricsSM_CXSCREEN == 2736; // high-DPI-aware GetSystemMetricsSM_CXSCREEN == 1368;...
  4. Are there any ways to make high-DPI scailing less crappy yet?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are there any ways to make high-DPI scailing less crappy yet?: I tried ti again today after waiting around two years to see if Microsoft improved the setting at all, and I'm still so disappointed. It still makes some apps look terrible, it still causes my mouse DPI to increase for no reason, and it also messes with the icon layout on the...
  5. Issues with high DPI and iTunes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with high DPI and iTunes: Hi, Is there anything I can do to alleviate some of the visual issues I am getting with iTunes and a few other programs like Chrome where text and fonts are appearing blurred, bleached out or only partially visible. The text is unreadable for any one or a combination of...
  6. How to Set Custom DPI Scaling For Dual Monitor

How to Set Custom DPI Scaling For Dual Monitor: Hello everyone. I want to set my first monitor's dpi scale to 134%. And second monitor to 100%. But I couldn't do it. So, windows only offers me 134% for all monitors or (100-125-150-175-200) for first monitor and (100-125-150-175-200)% for second monitor.(Only presets)...
  7. True fix for High DPI monitors

True fix for High DPI monitors: Hi, I have 2 27" monitors. One 4k and the other 1440p. While scaling the 4k monitor up to 150% makes it appear the same as the 1440p monitor, Windows still detects the 4k monitor as a "larger" monitor. This way i can't align them properly, like i can in MacOS. I'm also a...
  8. Disable dpi scaling for high Dpi for programs doesn't work.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Disable dpi scaling for high Dpi for programs doesn't work.: Hi guys, i really hope that here someone can help me. I'm trying for 2 days to get windows 10 works corrrectly with dpi scaling but nothing. After installation everything is fine but after a while, and some programs installed, something goes wrong. I use rocketdock like dock...
  9. Anniversary Update - high DPI issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update - high DPI issues: Anyone has come across this and found a solution? Yesterday I updated my OS to the latest build (1607) and since then I've been experiencing strange problems with fonts display. I use 4K monitor and after the upgrade different UI parts are now not scaled to high DPI at all....
  10. High DPI scaling

in Windows 10 Support
    High DPI scaling: Hey, I bought a 4k screen yesterday and I have this annoying issue with scaling. In 100% I can't see anything, so the solution is windows scaling. The issue is that a lot of programs doesn't work well with this method and makes the app almost unusable. Example:...