Windows 10: Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory?

Discus and support Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm working on deploying some Linux nodes in a hyper-v environment for a home lab. I would like to use the dynamic memory feature for resource... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/notworkingengineer, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory?

I'm working on deploying some Linux nodes in a hyper-v environment for a home lab.

I would like to use the dynamic memory feature for resource conservation.

I noticed that, running hyper-v on up to date windows 10, both debian and ubuntu (even the hyper-v endorsed variety) don't seem to work with dynamic memory. They constantly balloon and never seem to shave unused RAM.

Is this a known issue or something that can be resolved? Or is there a particular flavor of linux that works better with this feature? For my use case I am just needing something lightweight to run some iPerf and SIPp.

Thanks

submitted by /u/notworkingengineer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/notworkingengineer, Nov 26, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Windows 10 and Hyper-V dynamic memory

Of course a Hyper-V vm becomes slower if you use dynamic memory with default settings. The Hyper-V will be constantly monitoring the demand and assign the required RAM to the vm.

For the dynamic memory to work you need to assign enough startup memory (#1 in screenshot below), increase the the memory buffer (#2) and memory weight (#3):

Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory? [​IMG]

A Windows 10 virtual machine needs surprisingly little RAM to function well. Here in the screenshot the memory usage of a Windows 10 vm otherwise idle at the moment, only running Macrium to create a system image. Memory demand only 522 MB but because I have assigned a 35% buffer, it's using 768 MB of the assigned maximum 8 GB:

Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory? [​IMG]

The buffer is important: When using dynamic memory and the demand suddenly increases for example due a resource heavy application being launched, it takes time for Hyper-V to assign more RAM to the vm. The bigger the buffer, the better the vm reacts to increased demand.

Dynamic memory should only be used when it really is needed, for instance when it is important to have multiple virtual machines running at the same time. Dynamic memory should not be used when installing Windows, it can make the time needed for installation somewhat longer.

Generally speaking a Windows 10 vm with 2 GB of static RAM assigned works faster than the same vm with 512 MB to 4 GB dynamic RAM.

3. untmdsprt Win User
    How to get a Linux guest to work with Windows 10 Pro Hyper-V

I've got Hyper-V running on my Win10 Pro computer and am having trouble getting a Linux client to run. It will install fine, but keeps telling me that it's running in software emulation mode and not using the actual GPU. Here are my questions:

Does Linux need to be installed as a Gen 1 or 2 installation?

Can guest additions be installed or will it be permanently grayed out?

Are there certain Linux distros that work better than others in Hyper-V?

I have been using Virtualbox for the longest time and quite happy with it. That being said, I have a new job and need to learn the Microsoft way of virtualization as they use Hyper-V and Server 2008 or 2012. Yes I will be installing the trial versions of
    those two to learn them also.

Thanks.

untmdsprt, Nov 26, 2019
  4. Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory?

Is it possible to install Linux in a Windows virtual Machine?

Absolutely possible (in fact easy) to Install most Linux distro's in Hyper-v. I have Ubuntu and OPEsuse running on this PC. BTW Hyper-v and most linux distro's are free.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory?

1. Any linux distro that works with hyper-v dynamic memory? - Similar Threads - linux distro works

2. Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro: I am using a Windows PC with the following specs:Edition: Windows 11 HomeVersion: 23H2OS build: 22631.2338Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 100.22674.1000.0 Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHzInstalled RAM: 16.0 GBSystem type: 64-bit operating...
  3. Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL will not install any Linux Distro: I am using a Windows PC with the following specs:Edition: Windows 11 HomeVersion: 23H2OS build: 22631.2338Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 100.22674.1000.0 Processor: IntelR CoreTM i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz 2.90 GHzInstalled RAM: 16.0 GBSystem type: 64-bit operating...
  4. Linux sound to work on a Hyper V installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux sound to work on a Hyper V installation: How do I get Linux sound to work on a Hyper V installation? On audio output it only shows dummy output https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linux-sound-to-work-on-a-hyper-v-installation/2e89e705-e09b-41de-88fa-5c155a19c3c2
  5. Linux sound to work on a Hyper V installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linux sound to work on a Hyper V installation: How do I get Linux sound to work on a Hyper V installation? On audio output it only shows dummy output https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/linux-sound-to-work-on-a-hyper-v-installation/2e89e705-e09b-41de-88fa-5c155a19c3c2
  6. Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem: I installed Linux-Mint in a gen 1 hyper-v session, and it installed fine. My main issue is that it setups up in an odd screen size and requires scroll bars. I go to display settings and it say laptop 12xx x 8xx (4:3) resolution, and no option to select 1366x768. I...
  7. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM: Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64. I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to...
  8. Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection

Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection: I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but is there any way to speed up my RDP connection to an openSUSE guest running locally under Hyper-V? I'm using a NAT vSwitch to provide it with both Internet and host connectivity and remote over the static IP is has on...
  9. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!: Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft...
  10. Windows 10 and Hyper-V dynamic memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 and Hyper-V dynamic memory: It seems that Windows 10 does not behave nicely in a Hyper-V virtual machine, also running on Windows 10. My laptop has plenty of memory and is running Windows 10 build 10586.63. Normally I configure a new VM with dynamic memory enabled, because I saw no reason why not....