Windows 10: Any Mac users here running Windows VM's on Parallels -

Discus and support Any Mac users here running Windows VM's on Parallels - in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks I've a colleague who has a mac computer and wants to run Windows VM's on Parallels (that's a sort of well known VM software platform for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 17, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Any Mac users here running Windows VM's on Parallels -

Hi folks

I've a colleague who has a mac computer and wants to run Windows VM's on Parallels (that's a sort of well known VM software platform for using on Mac computers -- equivalent to vmware / vbox).

Any users here who have experience on this stuff -- I have zero knowledge so I can't give any opinion - good or bad.

Perhaps @pparks1 - you have some Mac kit - have you used parallels and if so was it any good for running Windows VM's.

Thanks

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 17, 2021
  2. BillyBob Win User

Okay Parallels or VM or Mac experts

I'm going to buy Parallels before it expires, also I've been reading a fair bit about Parallels and backing up, it looks like I'll be able to do what I want in Time Machine you just have to tell it where to look.
    Bootcamp is good, but sometimes I want to do something on the Mac side and I have to reboot, also I've now got TP and Chrome on there as well. It's just good playing around with all these OS without having to reboot.
    Ive still got Bootcamp and now in Parallels, you just tell Parallels where it is and it sets it all up as 8.1 in Parallels.

The next hard bit is going to be installing Dual drives in the Mac Mini so I can get SSD speed and migrating all this mess over to the SSD.

BillyBob, Feb 17, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I think the problem with Parallels is that after the expiration of the trial your VM won't run whatever method you used to restore it.
    I don't know about VMware on a mac but the free vmplayer works just fine - to backup the VM just simply save the vm folder using file explorer or from within the vm itself create an Image using an imaging program like macrium or acronis and save to a shared hdd that the vm has access to.

I think bootcamp runs windows just fine on a mac- not sure exactly how it works but people seem to be satisfied with that method too. This would be more like double booting though.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 17, 2021
  4. jimbo45 Win User

I'm going to buy Parallels before it expires, also I've been reading a fair bit about Parallels and backing up, it looks like I'll be able to do what I want in Time Machine you just have to tell it where to look.
    Bootcamp is good, but sometimes I want to do something on the Mac side and I have to reboot, also I've now got TP and Chrome on there as well. It's just good playing around with all these OS without having to reboot.
    Ive still got Bootcamp and now in Parallels, you just tell Parallels where it is and it sets it all up as 8.1 in Parallels.

The next hard bit is going to be installing Dual drives in the Mac Mini so I can get SSD speed and migrating all this mess over to the SSD. Hi there
    Some stand alone recovery programs can copy partitions / disk images irrespective of the file system. For example you could boot a Linux Live distro from a USB and simply copy your OS'es over to the SSD with the Linux DD command (use it carefully though), or a thing like clonezilla/filezilla. Acronis will also handle any type of partition / file system too --simply backup the original (source) on to a temporary storage device and then restore to your SSD (target).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Any Mac users here running Windows VM's on Parallels - - Similar Threads - Mac users here

2. Running Windows 10 on Mac OS Parallels - License Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running Windows 10 on Mac OS Parallels - License Question: Had Win 10 Pro installed in a boot camp partition but deleted it. Set up Win 10 Pro in a Parallels WM on the same laptop to run Windows / Mac OS side by side.Can't activate the new Parallels Win 10 as it doesn't find my Macbook Pro in MS Account devices to use the original...
  3. Running Windows 10 on Mac OS Parallels - License Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running Windows 10 on Mac OS Parallels - License Question: Had Win 10 Pro installed in a boot camp partition but deleted it. Set up Win 10 Pro in a Parallels WM on the same laptop to run Windows / Mac OS side by side.Can't activate the new Parallels Win 10 as it doesn't find my Macbook Pro in MS Account devices to use the original...
  4. Running Windows 10 on Mac OS Parallels - License Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows 10 on a VM under Parallel desktop in a Mac mini

Windows 10 on a VM under Parallel desktop in a Mac mini: I have a Mac mini with Parallel Desktop and then I have activated the windows I have purchased butI deleted the virtual machine and install a new one then I can not activate my windows key because it assigned to old virtual machine which I also remove from devices at my...
  6. Need Windows 10 key running on Mac M1 with parallels

Need Windows 10 key running on Mac M1 with parallels: Download windows 10 on the new mac M1 with parallels. Installed and does run but its the free version of windows. Because of that it wont run the windows store to get a key. Where can I get a key to run windows?...
  7. Windows 10 will not Activate on Parallels VM

Windows 10 will not Activate on Parallels VM: Hello I have been running Windows 10 on my Mac using Parallels VM for about four years. I previously bought a full copy of Windows 7 and took the free upgrade to 10 when available. Yesterday the system upgrade on Windows 10 did not go on properly and I was unable to start...
  8. Okay Parallels or VM or Mac experts

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Okay Parallels or VM or Mac experts: Creating an Image with Parallels of Mini Okay, I've got the Trial version of Parallels, I'm going to keep it, what I want to know is the best way of either backing up, creating an image or whatever with all the following stuff I've got on the Mini. I'm running Yosemite with...
  9. Black screen with Windows 10 running via Parallels on Mac

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen with Windows 10 running via Parallels on Mac: Hello! A program I was using in Windows (under parallels) on my Mac froze, so I did everything I could to quit the program. I'm not sure what I did, but now all I have is a black screen. [img] How do I fix this and get back into Windows so that I can restart my program...
  10. "Invalid Handle" running Windows 10 in emulation with Parallels on Mac

in Windows 10 Support
    "Invalid Handle" running Windows 10 in emulation with Parallels on Mac: Since updating (1) Windows to 10, (2) Parallels to 12 and (3) the MacOS to 10.12 (Sierra), logging into windows takes about 10 minutes. First the machine gives me a blue screen with the large word "Administrator" (the only user I have, i.e. me) and "Welcome" with the spinning...