Windows 10: Any maximised window is larger than my screen

Discus and support Any maximised window is larger than my screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For many years I've assumed that the subject issue, described below, was a flaw unique to my particular monitors, a succession of iiyama models, always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Terrypin Win User

Any maximised window is larger than my screen

For many years I've assumed that the subject issue, described below, was a flaw unique to my particular monitors, a succession of iiyama models, always 1920 x 1200, my preferred resolution.

But I was wrong, because I've today replaced my 24" iiyama Prolite E2403WS with a 24" Dell U2415 ...and it has exactly the same bizarre behaviour. If I maximise any window (an application, a folder, whatever) its size becomes 1936 x 1186 and its position -8, -8.

I use two utilities to report window size/position: AHK Windows Info 1.7, and Macro Express Pro. But I expect there are many more.

Perhaps it only happens with 1920 x 1200 screens? Anyone able to try it with the more prolific 1920 x 1080 please?

Any insights as to why this occurs? If others with a screen of any resolution cannot reproduce, what obscure setting of my setup could cause it?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Sep 4, 2018
  2. sam4673 Win User

Maximise/Minimising windows is not working.

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Win10 laptop and the best way to describe it (i think!), is that the minimise/maximising of windows is not behaving as expected.
    For example: sometimes I am unable to maximise a window properly, it seems to maximise, but not come to the front of the open windows. so if I have a browser open, and try to maximise MsWord, the word window maximises, but sits behind the browser so I then have to minimise the browser.
    ALSO sometimes even this doesn't work as for some reason a window will change its position to off the screen so the only way to maximise it (without ending the program and re-starting), is to hover over the taskbar icon, right click the needed window and hit maximise.

I find this extremely frustrating as the simplest task (switching between windows) is a massive hassle.

If anyone has any suggestions of possible fixes or has had the same problem please get in contact! At this point it'd be nice to know i'm not the only person with this issue!

Cheers,
    Sam

sam4673, Sep 4, 2018
  3. Bladesman Win User
    Shortcut for maximising from snapped window

Hi all,

I've recently updated to W10, and am hoping I'm missing a shortcut for maximising snapped windows.

I'm the sort of person that likes to minimise mouse use. I'm used to snapping windows to the left or right using the shortcut "Start + Left/Right Arrow". I can still use this, and I generally like the Snap Assist functionality that now comes with it.

However, I am currently finding it quite annoying to use keyboard shortcuts to get out of this view (i.e. when you have 1 screen snapped left and 1 screen snapped right). The only shortcut I can find for maximising a screen is "Start + Up Arrow", however this will instead snap it to the top quadrant (on its respective side), and snap assist will ask you what you want to snap to the bottom quadrant. From what I can see, you then have to Esc out of this and then try "Start + Up Arrow" again.

Is there not a keyboard shortcut to maximise directly from a snapped window? It's currently taking 3 keyboard shortcuts, which is sort of a paradox.

It sounds fairly basic, but it's quite annoying when you are regularly snapping windows to left/right, and something I could do easily on W7.

For completeness, steps to reproduce:

1. Have several windows open in W10, (min. 3). Also, have snap assist turned on in settings
    2. "Start + Left Arrow" to snap active screen to left. Snap assist should appear on right
    3. Use Arrow Keys and Enter to select a window to snap to right
    Imagine working on these screens for a bit
    4. Now try to maximise a window, use shortcut "Start + Up Arrow" - doesn't work, screen will snap to top left/right
    5. Press Esc to exit Snap Assist
    6. Again try to maximise window, use shortcut "Start + Up Arrow"

If anyone could help me find a way to end the process at step 4, that would be lovely!

Thanks a lot,

Tom

Bladesman, Sep 4, 2018
  4. Psykhosis007 Win User

Taskbar not Maximising Tasks - Windows 10

I have an issue where certain items in my taskbar are not maximising when opening and are locked in a minimised state on the taskbar. Tried the CCleaner, System Maintenance and SFC suggestions (from the file explorer not responding posts) and the unpinning
    and disabling snap suggestions (on taskbar items not maximising posts for older versions of Windows) with no luck. This was actually a problem I had a while back near release of Windows 10, but then I had Edge and the actual startup menu not responding either.
    Got to the point where I got sick of tinkering and reinstalled Windows 10 - in hindsight I should have probably reverted to Windows 7. It worked for a while, but file explorer stopped working again a few days ago and today my EA Origin has stopped maximising. It's
    weird as it appears in QuickView (by hovering over the File Explorer/Origin icon in the toolbar), but it just won't maximize - doesn't respond at all.

Any suggestions as to what else I can try would be greatly appreciated before more items stop maximising and I'm stuck with reinstalling Windows for another time. Thank you!

Psykhosis007, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Any maximised window is larger than my screen - Similar Threads - maximised window larger

2. programs are not maximising

in Windows 10 Customization
    programs are not maximising: I have pinned some programs to my Windows 10 taskbar. I do not have any problems with almost all these programs except for Steam because I cannot maximize it. What is the fix? Do I have to reinstall it?...
  3. picture larger than screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    picture larger than screen: picture is larger than screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/picture-larger-than-screen/7369f263-396f-4c03-8d1f-4a1b0b2c6f13
  4. I want my heading font to be larger than my actual letter how do I do this

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want my heading font to be larger than my actual letter how do I do this: how do i make my heading font larger than my font in the letter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/i-want-my-heading-font-to-be-larger-than-my-actual/48ae5f9d-f78f-4955-aa2e-e1e12efbca3b
  5. Everything on my computer screen is appearing larger than normal. how do i return to...

Everything on my computer screen is appearing larger than normal. how do i return to...: I turned off my computer before vacation and turned off the power strip. When I booted up again, everything on the computer screen is appearing larger than normal. Not just on the desktop but in MS Office, internet browser... all my apps. How do I return to previous size...
  6. How to maximise all windows?

How to maximise all windows?: This is bugging me at the moment. I'm stumped concerning how to maximise all windows that are all minimised in the taskbar. Any ideas? Cheers. 57154
  7. Windows 10 update larger than available memory

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 update larger than available memory: I just got a notice that I had a Windows10 Update available, and it installed the "Windows 10 Update Assistant" on the desktop. When I run it, I get the error "You'll Need to Free Up Some Disk Space on your PC, 16gb required". The problem is I don't HAVE 16gb. This is a small...
  8. Is there any way to get a larger 'back' button in windows explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there any way to get a larger 'back' button in windows explorer?: The back and up buttons in explorer are really small on screen and not in the same position they used to be in win7. Its annoying because there is loads of room in the ribbon above for big conspicuous buttons. Any suggestions? 10431
  9. Unable to minimise a maximised window

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to minimise a maximised window: So previously with the Snap Assist I was able to hold left click the toolbar as a maximised window and drag it down to minimise it, but now I can only maximise a minimised window like Google Chrome, why has this happened and how can I get this to work again? Edit:...
  10. My Black Screen is worse than your Black Screen....

in Windows 10 Support
    My Black Screen is worse than your Black Screen....: Pardon my verbosity, but I want to make sure myself clear. My computer is your basic homebrew office desktop: Asus H87-M-E MB with Intel Core i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 8 GB RAM in a Cooler Master Case the size of a doghouse. No neon or gaming stuff, but it worked perfectly....