Windows 10: Any maximised window is larger than my screen

Discus and support Any maximised window is larger than my screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For many years I've assumed that the subject issue, described below, was a flaw unique to my particular monitors, a succession of iiyama models, always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Terrypin, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Terrypin Win User

Any maximised window is larger than my screen

For many years I've assumed that the subject issue, described below, was a flaw unique to my particular monitors, a succession of iiyama models, always 1920 x 1200, my preferred resolution.

But I was wrong, because I've today replaced my 24" iiyama Prolite E2403WS with a 24" Dell U2415 ...and it has exactly the same bizarre behaviour. If I maximise any window (an application, a folder, whatever) its size becomes 1936 x 1186 and its position -8, -8.

I use two utilities to report window size/position: AHK Windows Info 1.7, and Macro Express Pro. But I expect there are many more.

Perhaps it only happens with 1920 x 1200 screens? Anyone able to try it with the more prolific 1920 x 1080 please?

Any insights as to why this occurs? If others with a screen of any resolution cannot reproduce, what obscure setting of my setup could cause it?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Sep 4, 2018
  2. sam4673 Win User

Maximise/Minimising windows is not working.

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Win10 laptop and the best way to describe it (i think!), is that the minimise/maximising of windows is not behaving as expected.
    For example: sometimes I am unable to maximise a window properly, it seems to maximise, but not come to the front of the open windows. so if I have a browser open, and try to maximise MsWord, the word window maximises, but sits behind the browser so I then have to minimise the browser.
    ALSO sometimes even this doesn't work as for some reason a window will change its position to off the screen so the only way to maximise it (without ending the program and re-starting), is to hover over the taskbar icon, right click the needed window and hit maximise.

I find this extremely frustrating as the simplest task (switching between windows) is a massive hassle.

If anyone has any suggestions of possible fixes or has had the same problem please get in contact! At this point it'd be nice to know i'm not the only person with this issue!

Cheers,
    Sam

sam4673, Sep 4, 2018
  3. Bladesman Win User
    Shortcut for maximising from snapped window

Hi all,

I've recently updated to W10, and am hoping I'm missing a shortcut for maximising snapped windows.

I'm the sort of person that likes to minimise mouse use. I'm used to snapping windows to the left or right using the shortcut "Start + Left/Right Arrow". I can still use this, and I generally like the Snap Assist functionality that now comes with it.

However, I am currently finding it quite annoying to use keyboard shortcuts to get out of this view (i.e. when you have 1 screen snapped left and 1 screen snapped right). The only shortcut I can find for maximising a screen is "Start + Up Arrow", however this will instead snap it to the top quadrant (on its respective side), and snap assist will ask you what you want to snap to the bottom quadrant. From what I can see, you then have to Esc out of this and then try "Start + Up Arrow" again.

Is there not a keyboard shortcut to maximise directly from a snapped window? It's currently taking 3 keyboard shortcuts, which is sort of a paradox.

It sounds fairly basic, but it's quite annoying when you are regularly snapping windows to left/right, and something I could do easily on W7.

For completeness, steps to reproduce:

1. Have several windows open in W10, (min. 3). Also, have snap assist turned on in settings
    2. "Start + Left Arrow" to snap active screen to left. Snap assist should appear on right
    3. Use Arrow Keys and Enter to select a window to snap to right
    Imagine working on these screens for a bit
    4. Now try to maximise a window, use shortcut "Start + Up Arrow" - doesn't work, screen will snap to top left/right
    5. Press Esc to exit Snap Assist
    6. Again try to maximise window, use shortcut "Start + Up Arrow"

If anyone could help me find a way to end the process at step 4, that would be lovely!

Thanks a lot,

Tom

Bladesman, Sep 4, 2018
  4. Any maximised window is larger than my screen

Taskbar not Maximising Tasks - Windows 10

I have an issue where certain items in my taskbar are not maximising when opening and are locked in a minimised state on the taskbar. Tried the CCleaner, System Maintenance and SFC suggestions (from the file explorer not responding posts) and the unpinning
    and disabling snap suggestions (on taskbar items not maximising posts for older versions of Windows) with no luck. This was actually a problem I had a while back near release of Windows 10, but then I had Edge and the actual startup menu not responding either.
    Got to the point where I got sick of tinkering and reinstalled Windows 10 - in hindsight I should have probably reverted to Windows 7. It worked for a while, but file explorer stopped working again a few days ago and today my EA Origin has stopped maximising. It's
    weird as it appears in QuickView (by hovering over the File Explorer/Origin icon in the toolbar), but it just won't maximize - doesn't respond at all.

Any suggestions as to what else I can try would be greatly appreciated before more items stop maximising and I'm stuck with reinstalling Windows for another time. Thank you!

Psykhosis007, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

Any maximised window is larger than my screen

1. Any maximised window is larger than my screen - Similar Threads - maximised window larger

2. Blackweb RGB Gaming Mouse program display larger than screen.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blackweb RGB Gaming Mouse program display larger than screen.: Blackweb RGB Gaming Mousemodel: BWA20HO001ARecently purchased, mouse works as intended. Software/Program itself however does not, upon opening Blackweb mouse software to adjust mouse DPI, settings etc. the aspect ratio is larger than my laptops screen of 1366 x 768 there is...
  3. Can't see menus and buttons larger than my screen (1366x768)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't see menus and buttons larger than my screen (1366x768): [ATTACH] Can I somehow zoom out like I can pages in web browser these windows apps? Here is example of Reddit signup, Reddit flairs, Charles proxy, and Firefox bookmarks. I am already using max resolution of 1366x768 on my laptop on Win10. Any trick to see everything? I...
  4. How to see menus and windows that are larger than my screen?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to see menus and windows that are larger than my screen?: I noticed some menus like in Charles Proxy and Firefox bookmarks are so long that they can't be wholly displayed, can't see all items. I even expanded my taskbar to be larger for one row so more icons can fit in, and now Firefox buttons for OK and Cancel for adding bookmarks...
  5. Desktop is larger than monitor and is blurry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop is larger than monitor and is blurry: I changed my screen resolution to higher than recommended then when I went back the desktop was too large for the monitor. The taskbar is cutoff halfway and I can barely see the close window button at the top of the screen as well as it is of lower quality and to get...
  6. Everything on my pc is larger than normal

Everything on my pc is larger than normal: I've got a dual monitor setup, my Main monitor looks perfect, but the everything on my other monitor looks larger than normal, and the scale size is 100%. And I cant change it to any lower. why?...
  7. display is larger than my monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    display is larger than my monitor: I'm having a problem where my display is larger than my monitor.. How can i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-is-larger-than-my-monitor/70f54546-51c2-4328-b9cf-3d6c2b702d92
  8. Everything on my pc is now larger than what it was before.

Everything on my pc is now larger than what it was before.: I’ve tried changing the resolution but that didnt work etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/everything-on-my-pc-is-now-larger-than-what-it-was/b72d9161-dc2a-4b12-85e9-a1b30c218d7c
  9. After October 2018 update the screen size is larger than my display.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After October 2018 update the screen size is larger than my display.: I updated to the October 2018 tonight when it popped up on my screen. After the update, which took forever, my icons in the left most column are not visible or accessible, nor is the start button. The task bar is below the bottom margin of my display. When I open MS Edge the...
  10. picture larger than screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    picture larger than screen: picture is larger than screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/picture-larger-than-screen/7369f263-396f-4c03-8d1f-4a1b0b2c6f13