Windows 10: Any problems with having OS and software installed one both drives? Also diagnostic help.

Discus and support Any problems with having OS and software installed one both drives? Also diagnostic help. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have an old 1.25 TB HDD (D: Drive) which is my backup drive now. Used to be my main drive, and still has old installed programs, OS, and steam.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hambone263, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Any problems with having OS and software installed one both drives? Also diagnostic help.

So I have an old 1.25 TB HDD (D: Drive) which is my backup drive now. Used to be my main drive, and still has old installed programs, OS, and steam.

Now I use a SSD (C: Drive) for my main drive and it runs the OS, Steam, and my software now.

I never wiped the old drive, uninstalled OS or software, or anything like that. (Yeah I know this is probably bad) And when I got the newer SSD, I installed OS and steam, and just went into Settings -> downloads -> steam library folder and linked the old drive game location to play all those old games.

Is there any inherent problem with doing it this way? I was just a bit lazy and it seems unclean to keep around multiple software versions for Steam. Not a very advanced user, not sure if this can cause problems with registry or anything like that.

I ask because lately (1 week or so) when I run CS:GO, I started getting bad stuttering, and when I go into task manager it shows 100% disk usage on my D: Drive. But, I have double checked and everything I am using (OS, Steam, CS:GO) are all located on my C: drive. (checked in file explorer and in steam game properties.)

The stuttering seems to start after I load a game map. Not in the menu. Could this be windows 10 misbehaving, or my old drive dying? But, would a bad drive slow down my system as a whole? If not the other culprit could be my older RAM. I just figured I would get some advice/insight into the issue. Thanks for any help.

Also two follow up questions, - Is there good way to see what drives are actively being used by specific software? I know in task manager -> performance you can see each drives utlization, but it's not very detailed per drive. - whould windows antivirus run on my HDD for scans, even if I hardly change the files on the drive?

submitted by /u/hambone263
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hambone263, Jan 14, 2021
  2. little cat, Jan 14, 2021
  3. C_C
    c_C Win User
    DVD Drive issues.

The games used to run, now apparently the disks don't even read.

Go to Device Manager and remove the DVD
    Scan for hardware changes and update driver as OS suggests

Still not working?

1) Clean the heads.
    2) Run a diagnostic program on the drive.

Nothing else has changed about your system aside from the OS?

Revert to XP Home, assuming you don't find the source of the problem in steps above.

4. Depth Win User

Any problems with having OS and software installed one both drives? Also diagnostic help.

Install Diablo 3 on Linux

Just install PlayOnLinux? Why did they make step 2 and 3 of this "tutorial"?

Anyway, looking at the supported software list for PlayOnLinux, D3 is a step in the right direction. Lack of gaming is a factor for a lot of people when deciding on an OS, if more recent games get ported it may help migrate them to their preferred choice.

Depth, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Any problems with having OS and software installed one both drives? Also diagnostic help.

1. Any problems with having OS and software installed one both drives? Also diagnostic help. - Similar Threads - problems having software

2. i am having problem with installational of a software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i am having problem with installational of a software: i am problem with installation of a software https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-having-problem-with-installational-of-a/b7c2a027-c0ce-4584-84d6-89dc8a2bd4ca
  3. i am having problem with installational of a software

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    i am having problem with installational of a software: i am problem with installation of a software https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-having-problem-with-installational-of-a/b7c2a027-c0ce-4584-84d6-89dc8a2bd4ca
  4. i am having problem with installational of a software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Have no OS and i cant install one because my ssd is unallocated help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have no OS and i cant install one because my ssd is unallocated help: I recently wanted to reset my PC so i went ahead and created a bootable usb with RUFUS and used a windows10.iso file burnt into the usb before i began on installing it i went on CMD and cleaned my C drive then i went to install new OS but after sometime passed it gave an...
  6. Have no OS and i cant install one because my ssd is unallocated help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Have no OS and i cant install one because my ssd is unallocated help: I recently wanted to reset my PC so i went ahead and created a bootable usb with RUFUS and used a windows10.iso file burnt into the usb before i began on installing it i went on CMD and cleaned my C drive then i went to install new OS but after sometime passed it gave an...
  7. Have no OS and i cant install one because my ssd is unallocated help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Really Need Help on this Problem with One Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Really Need Help on this Problem with One Drive: First, I know it was a problem on my part for not reading the prompts when installing Windows 10. I purchased a new Lenovo Yoga Laptop. On startup it gave me a choice of installing Windows 10 or Windows 11. I chose Windows 10 on advice from the sales guy who said there was...
  9. OS files present in both drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS files present in both drives: I recently bought "DELL INSPIRON 3501 i5 11th gen" laptop. From yesterday onwards it started to run slow. And my cousin is saying that the OS files are present in both C Drive as well as D Drive. Please any one help me....
  10. OS Installation software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS Installation software: My hard drive became corrupted and unreadable , unbootable. Data recovery was unsuccessful, I'm installing a new HD in the laptop, I bought my laptop from one of your Microsoft stores. Issue is I wasn't provided any installation or backup discs/usb as used to be provided...