Windows 10: Any reliability differences between 3.5" and 2.5" hdd's

Discus and support Any reliability differences between 3.5" and 2.5" hdd's in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Am thinking of replacing some old backup drives and leaning towards 2.5" because of their smaller size and the fact they do not need a power source.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by provlima, Sep 19, 2017.

1. provlima Win User

Any reliability differences between 3.5" and 2.5" hdd's

Am thinking of replacing some old backup drives and leaning towards 2.5" because of their smaller size and the fact they do not need a power source.
    Have there been any past indications that larger drives are better in reliability or other factors. Thanks for your advice/suggestions.

:)

provlima, Sep 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 update stuck in frozen BIOS screen

Shouldn't it be for a 2.5" HD, instead of 3.5"?

Robert_F_Lindner, Sep 19, 2017
  3. How to get win 10 pro on to new drive after pins on old drive broke therefore with Recovery options to expensive

I bought 3.5" HDD to put more storage on my desktop (m93p). When I opened my desktop there was a 2.5" HDD. I took it out, only to realize I didn't have a cable for the 3.5 HDD, upon me putting the 2.5" back I broke the 7 pin data port on the 2.5" HDD.
    I can get a new computer for price Recovery companies are charging. I would like to know how to somehow reclaim my Operating System and put it on the 3.5 HDD that I have, or do I have to buy Windows 10 pro all over again. The 3.5 " HDD is a Seagate ST2000DG001
    and the 2.5" HDD is a Seagate ST500MD005 maybe!!!!!!
    Any reliability differences between 3.5" and 2.5" hdd's [​IMG]

EricSmith_479, Sep 19, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Don't make assumptions about power, the 2.5" Notebook drives and the 3.5" Desktop drives use the same SATA connections, just there will be cables with the larger and a socket inside a Notebook for the smaller. Check the labels on the drives for their power needs, could be 12V DC and 5V DC with varying current needs. There are USB drives that are pocketable that can live with the power provided by 1 USB port. There's also empty cases for the 2.5" that use a Y-cable to provide power and data and additional power [2 USB ports]. Most all of the larger portable 3.5" drives come in cases with their own power supply. There are adapters for Desktop cases to allow use of the 2.5" drive in a 3.5" bay, for example the SSD drives.

Berton, Sep 19, 2017
  5. Gerry5039 Win User
    I use a mix inside my computer and have no problems at all with any of them. They all work together perfectly.

Gerry5039, Sep 19, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    I generally shy away from 2.5 inch drives used internally unless SSDs as they are usually slower than 3.5 inch drives. They are probably slightly less reliable due to compact size.

However, if drives are for backup, the demand on drive will be low.

For external usb backup drives, 2.5 are far more convenient as they do not require their own external power source.

cereberus, Sep 19, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    Helmut, Sep 19, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

3.5" drives use 12v and 2.5" use only 5v. USB supplies only 5v so 3.5" drives need separate power supply. 2.5" HDDs are generally slower than 3.5" counterparts even at same revs which doesn't impact on USB2 but on USB3 are a bit too slow to keep up with it at full speed. For intermittent use as backup it's not very important. 2.5" drives are also less susceptible to damage due to moving them and handling them while working and also made to be more resistant when subjected to higher Gs when not running, partly because of less inertia of smaller parts and partly because they are made to be subject to a lot of moving. Otherwise I haven't seen any difference in longevity if used properly and have a mix of drives used as external backup.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Any reliability differences between 3.5" and 2.5" hdd's - Similar Threads - reliability differences between

2. Black Screen for 3-5 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen for 3-5 seconds: Assembled device having : Windows 10 Pro versionCPU=5600xGPU= Gigabyte eagle 3060tiSDD= 1TB NVMEMotherboard:= Gigabyte B450 Main Monitor: MSI G273Q =2560*1440pMy monitor screen goes black for 3-5 second randomly. It has happened while I was playing games or surfing internet...
  3. Black Screen for 3-5 seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen for 3-5 seconds: Assembled device having : Windows 10 Pro versionCPU=5600xGPU= Gigabyte eagle 3060tiSDD= 1TB NVMEMotherboard:= Gigabyte B450 Main Monitor: MSI G273Q =2560*1440pMy monitor screen goes black for 3-5 second randomly. It has happened while I was playing games or surfing internet...
  4. .NET 3 and 5 update failures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .NET 3 and 5 update failures: I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and I'm trying to update my copies of .NET 3 and .NET 5. I need these current for my Python work. Every time that Windows Update tries to update these, it fails. I've tried running each singularly or together. Same results. Rebooting and...
  5. Windows 10 - 5 different BSODs in 3 days

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - 5 different BSODs in 3 days: I have a laptop that I'm trying to fix for a friend, but after I reinstalled Windows 10 home it just keeps BSOD'ing. Windows 2004 build 19041.572 Here are 6 different BSODs almost all are unique errors: memory dumps - Google Drive I went ahead and set the min/max page file...
  6. Windows 10 - 5 different BSODs in 3 days

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - 5 different BSODs in 3 days: I have a laptop that I'm trying to fix for a friend, but after I reinstalled Windows 10 home it just keeps BSOD'ing. Windows 2004 build 19041.572 Here are 6 different BSODs almost all are unique errors: memory dumps - Google Drive I went ahead and set the min/max page file...
  7. Changing a hdd with raid 5 to NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing a hdd with raid 5 to NTFS: Hello! I have 4 hdd's that were used in a NAS storage unit with raid 5 array that is no longer being used old OS. I erased all the data, pulled out two of them, disk management shows them with 5 partitions I want only 1 partition, used command prompt to clear and create a...
  8. 5 hours with 5 different Microsoft technicians

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    5 hours with 5 different Microsoft technicians: I cannot believe how hard it is to get an issue resolved. 5 hours with 5 different Indian technicians. You can tell they are constrained by a rigid set of procedures. No thinking out of the box. Complete waste of time dealing with them. Another frustrated Windows user (Mac...
  9. Far Cry 5: any reliable cheat for captive sequences?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Far Cry 5: any reliable cheat for captive sequences?: I was enjoying FC5 until I met the first of I believe 9 unskippable capture sequences, which seem to be a time-limited spray & pray, run & gun setup. One or two I can hold my nose and grind, but nine! I gave up in disgust a few months ago. I'd like to play it thru sometime...
  10. Networking 5 computers with 3 different OS systems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking 5 computers with 3 different OS systems: I have a very small office (no Network administrator) and I'm trying to network 5 computers with varying degrees of success. I'm comfortable with computers, but I'm no expert, especially when it comes to networking. I managed to network an old XP computer with 2 other...