Windows 10: Any reliable way to get the parent folder in File Explorer?

Discus and support Any reliable way to get the parent folder in File Explorer? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I noticed that if you click the Documents folder on the navigation pane and then want to go to the parent folder, the usual parent folder shortcuts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by antonio3535, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Any reliable way to get the parent folder in File Explorer?

I noticed that if you click the Documents folder on the navigation pane and then want to go to the parent folder, the usual parent folder shortcuts don't work (such as Alt+↑ or backspace), they instead get you to "This PC".
    Is there any shortcut to get the real parent folder?

Any help much appreciated *Huh

:)

antonio3535, Oct 12, 2019
  2. Arul_D Win User

Parental Controls aren't working

Hi,

The issue could be because of corrupted files. I suggest you to delete the corrupted files yourself and see if it helps

to resolve the issue, please follow these steps:

1) Make sure your children are signed out of any monitored accounts.

2) Sign in with an administrator account and find the folder that contains the corrupted files.

There are two ways to do this. The easiest way is to enter the complete file path:

• On the Start screen, type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press Enter.

• If you’d rather open each folder individually, follow these steps:
    a. Go to This PC

b. Open C:, open the
    ProgramData folder, open the Microsoft folder, open the
    Windows folder, and open the Parental Controls folder.

3) Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.

This will delete any corrupt files. Your settings will be downloaded again from familysafety.microsoft.com the next time you sign in.

Hope it helps. Reply with the result and I'll be happy to help you further. Thank you

Arul_D, Oct 12, 2019
  3. Is there a way to collapse "redundant" folders in file explorer?

HI Dillyjb97,

The Navigation Pane Tree of your File Explorer is designed to work as how you have described it on your post. It doesn't have an option to expand the items in Folder 1/Folder 2/Folder
    3 view. However, you may enable some options on your navigation pane to automatically show the folders within a folder without having to double click it. Just click the drop-down option on the Navigation Pane and tick the other three options as shown
    in the photo below:

Any reliable way to get the parent folder in File Explorer? 37919807-9e2b-4250-974c-ab40f83280d8?upload=true.png

You may also set the single-click option to open an item in your File Explorer. Here's how:

1. Open File Explorer and navigate to View > Options > Change folder and search options.
    2. Under the General > Click items as follows, tick the
      Single-click to open an item (point to select)
    3. Click Apply, then OK.

If the above options won't work for you, then you may send this as a suggestion through our
    Feedback Hub. This way, our software engineers will be able to look into your suggestion. Please follow the steps provided in Send
    feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app
    to submit your suggestion.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 12, 2019
  4. Any reliable way to get the parent folder in File Explorer?

Windows 10 Parental Controls not working properly

Hi,

Thank you for the response and keeping the status updated.

The issue could be because of corrupted files. I suggest you to delete the corrupted files yourself and see if it helps

to resolve the issue, please follow these steps:

1) Make sure your children are signed out of any monitored accounts.

2) Sign in with an administrator account and find the folder that contains the corrupted files.

There are two ways to do this. The easiest way is to enter the complete file path:

• On the Start screen, type C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls and press Enter.

• If you’d rather open each folder individually, follow these steps:
    a. Go to This PC

b. Open C:, open the
    ProgramData folder, open the Microsoft folder, open the
    Windows folder, and open the Parental Controls folder.

3) Delete all contents of the Parental Controls folder.

This will delete any corrupt files. Your settings will be downloaded again from familysafety.microsoft.com the next time you sign in.

Hope it helps. Reply with the result and I'll be happy to help you further. Thank you

Ruth Buruga, Oct 12, 2019
Thema:

Any reliable way to get the parent folder in File Explorer?

1. Any reliable way to get the parent folder in File Explorer? - Similar Threads - reliable parent folder

2. File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder: File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-cant-get-sub-folders-to-adopt-same/a0b96376-f719-4b51-af9a-27cb89cda91b
  3. File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder: File Explorer: can't get sub folders to adopt same display/view as the parent folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-cant-get-sub-folders-to-adopt-same/a0b96376-f719-4b51-af9a-27cb89cda91b
  4. Onedrive with Parent Directory in HDD causing Issues in File Explorer/ This PC/ Any Folder...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive with Parent Directory in HDD causing Issues in File Explorer/ This PC/ Any Folder...: I have an M2 SATA SSD as my C drive with Win10 installed on it. Other than SSD, I have three partitions of HDD Drive. I am using Onedrive with its parent synching folder located in E drive a partition of HDD. Also I am junctioning/ linking my desktop & downloads folders...
  5. Onedrive with Parent Directory in HDD causing Issues in File Explorer/ This PC/ Any Folder...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive with Parent Directory in HDD causing Issues in File Explorer/ This PC/ Any Folder...: I have an M2 SATA SSD as my C drive with Win10 installed on it. Other than SSD, I have three partitions of HDD Drive. I am using Onedrive with its parent synching folder located in E drive a partition of HDD. Also I am junctioning/ linking my desktop & downloads folders...
  6. Onedrive with Parent Directory in HDD causing Issues in File Explorer/ This PC/ Any Folder...

7. Windows 11 -- No reliable way to get file sharing to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 -- No reliable way to get file sharing to work: File sharing worked before the Win11 upgrade. I have tried every solution I have found online except for the ones that involve registry editing to get file sharing to work again. Shares occasionally appear and then go back to being things that Windows cannot locate. I have...
  8. Windows 11 -- No reliable way to get file sharing to work

Windows 11 -- No reliable way to get file sharing to work: File sharing worked before the Win11 upgrade. I have tried every solution I have found online except for the ones that involve registry editing to get file sharing to work again. Shares occasionally appear and then go back to being things that Windows cannot locate. I have...
  9. Is there any way to show the real folder path in explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to show the real folder path in explorer?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ShaunDreclin [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l7gue0/is_there_any_way_to_show_the_real_folder_path_in/
  10. Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?: Any way to do this or am I limited to only date, size, and type? submitted by /u/greatbuy99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kjf5e8/is_there_any_way_to_sort_files_any_way_i_want_in/