Windows 10: Any security risks with granting everyone permissions to create symbolic links?

Discus and support Any security risks with granting everyone permissions to create symbolic links? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Why is the ability to create symlinks in windows restricted to administrators? And are there any security risks in granting that permissions to all... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DanH12, Jun 20, 2019.

1. DanH12 Win User

Any security risks with granting everyone permissions to create symbolic links?

Why is the ability to create symlinks in windows restricted to administrators?

And are there any security risks in granting that permissions to all users?

:)

DanH12, Jun 20, 2019

2. How to create a Symbolic Link on Windows 10?

How do I create junctions or directory symbolic links in Windows 10?

Note: For reference, the link in the question refers to the following commands.

Create a junction:

Create a directory symbolic link:

You can use either mklink /j or junction in Windows 10 to create junctions.

You can use mklink /d in Windows 10 to create directory symbolic links.

Notes:

• junction can also list junctions and determine if a file is a junction unlike mklink.
    • mklink is an internal command only available within a cmd shell.
    • By default Administrator privileges are required to create symbolic links.

It can also be granted to other users. The security setting "Create symbolic links" can be granted at:

Examples

Using mklink to create a directory symbolic link:

Using mklink to create a junction:

Using junction to create a junction:

It seems like the junction command has been retired in Windows 10.

You can download junction from Windows SysInternals (which is part of Microsoft):

Further Reading

DavidPostill, Jun 20, 2019
  3. Thanatica Win User
    Create symbolic links policy doesn't work

If I go the the Local Security Policy, and enable Create symbolic links for "Users" or any specific user, it will never be applied.

I've tried forcing an update of this policy: gpupdate / force to no avail. Loggin out & back in doesn't help either. After this, I test the policy by going to a command prompt and entering
    mklink anyfile.tx c:\path\to\any\file.txt and get the result:
    You do not have sufficient privilege to perform this operation.

This is a bug.

The policy has been added for the correct user, and in the directory in question I have full control permission. There's no logical reason why Windows refuses to give the the permission to create symbolic links.

I can create symbolic links in an elevated command prompt. However, this is undesirable for various reasons that aren't relevant to the problem.

I sure hope Microsoft (are you listenening in?) is going to fix this problem and release an update. It's clearly a bug.

Unless there's something else I need to do to give myself the permission to create sybolic links. If so, please tell me the EXACT circumstances that need to apply for this to happen.

Thanatica, Jun 20, 2019
  4. ggouki Win User

mklink /D - symbolic link created but file access is denied via the link

I have literally the same problem. I could create symbolic links of folders with no problem from a specific disk to another until recently.

Now symbolic links from that disk to folders on other disks don't work anymore. Access denied.

Interestingly symbolic links on other disks to folders on other disks work. So do symbolic links on the problematic disk to
    files on other disks - just not symbolic folder links.

The problem is really just with symbolic folder links on one specific disk.

The permissions and integrity level of the disk in question are exactly the same as the other disks that don't produce this problem.

Something is still different with the disk in question. But what could it be ?

What exactly happens when a symbolic link to a folder (not a file) is created ? And what happens when that folder link is being used to access other folders within the remote location ?

Cause frankly it is curious that once a folder link is accessed that accessing a folder within that link would produce the error "Location is not available - The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive."

Why is it trying to move a file to a different drive ? After all I'm just listing folder contents.

Mind you the symbolic link to the folder on another disk lets me access the folder (list its contents), but i cannot access the files within the folder or even open other folders within the link.

ggouki, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Any security risks with granting everyone permissions to create symbolic links? - Similar Threads - security risks granting

2. Can I automatically have full permissions granted when any file or folder is created, such...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I automatically have full permissions granted when any file or folder is created, such...: Can I automatically have full permissions granted to my account when any file or folder is created, such as zip files, so I don't have to change permissions every single time?...
  3. Can I automatically have full permissions granted when any file or folder is created, such...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I automatically have full permissions granted when any file or folder is created, such...: Can I automatically have full permissions granted to my account when any file or folder is created, such as zip files, so I don't have to change permissions every single time?...
  4. Can't grant admin permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't grant admin permissions: When a "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" pops up, there is no option to type in a username and password. I recently changed my personal permissions to "Device Owner" and cannot give admin permissions to any application....
  5. Can't grant admin permissions

Can't grant admin permissions: When a "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" pops up, there is no option to type in a username and password. I recently changed my personal permissions to "Device Owner" and cannot give admin permissions to any application....
  6. Symbolic links/Folder links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  7. Symbolic links/Folder links

Symbolic links/Folder links: Apologies for the long introcution first; I have read a number of questions and answers relating to symbolic links with interest, and have noted that del, rmdir mklink, file explorer are all dangerous tools to use in order to remove a symbolic link. I had a PC with several...
  8. Svrhost, permissions granted to everyone

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Svrhost, permissions granted to everyone: “Svchost” getting a ton of theses showing in task manager as well as permissions for security managment granted to, EVERYONE, RESTRICTED, ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES, ACCOUNT UNKNOWN s-1-15-3-1024-etc...... Im almost certain that somehow remotely or wirelessly...
  9. Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows: How to: Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows How to Create Soft and Hard Symbolic Links in Windows A symbolic link is a file-system object (file or directory) that points to another file system object (file or directory). The object being pointed to is called...
  10. Symbolic Links (Soft Links)

in Windows 10 Support
    Symbolic Links (Soft Links): Greetings, I have a large number of symbolic links (soft links) on my PC that I want to migrate to a new machine with an identical directory structure. When I use various backup or copy programs that clone files (bit copy), the symbolic links do not work on the target...