Windows 10: Any significant hardware requirements change with the AU 1607?

Discus and support Any significant hardware requirements change with the AU 1607? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a helluva time struggling with getting my computer updated from the original build of Win10 (the 10240 RTM release) to the Anniversary Update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cytherian, Sep 22, 2016.

1. cytherian Win User

Any significant hardware requirements change with the AU 1607?

I had a helluva time struggling with getting my computer updated from the original build of Win10 (the 10240 RTM release) to the Anniversary Update (1607), to the point where it just would not happen, no matter what I tried. My computer was running the original release just fine. No crashes. No bizarre behavior (other than typing in Internet Explorer text fields being peculiarly slow in response). But what I was able to do was update my computer to version 1511, O/S build 10586.589. This is the build just prior to the AU 1607. It is installed, and I'm running just fine.

A Microsoft MVP tech had struggled to help me with my inquiries over on the Microsoft community... it was painful. He kept jumping to conclusions and wouldn't hear me out fully. I documented my struggles, and my success to 1511. He's now telling me that I should see the AU 1607 being offered to me when doing a manual check in Windows Update. Well, I don't. And he's of the opinion that if I'm not seeing it, that Windows has determined that my computer may not be compatible.

What?

Now, I'm running version 1511, build 10586.589 just fine. If the Win10 installer determined that my computer wasn't capable of running Win10, it would not have installed and would have informed me upfront, or failed miserably later on with no usable clue as to why. That did not happen.

So my question is this -- Was there ANY kind of hardware requirements change with the AU 1607 that might cause a computer already running Win10 to fail the compatibility test for installing the AU?

I'm guessing not, and that this poor MVP has a misunderstanding. My take is that I won't even get the AU offered until 30 days after my ISO of 1511 was successfully installed, because Microsoft is staggering the updates (for the purposes of spreading the load on their servers). Would folks here agree with that? Or do I have anything to be concerned about?

Incidentally, I'm NOT going to try forcing the AU 1607 to install right now... because I wasted so much time last weekend and the weekends before dealing with these install problems - I'd rather wait until my Win10 O/S decides on its own that "it is time" for the AU update.

:)

cytherian, Sep 22, 2016

2. Reinstallation of Windows 10 after free upgrade from Windows 7

I have read the help information provided by MS on this topic but my problem is I will probably have to replace the video card in the PC as it is faulty.

MS say that if 'Significant' hardware changes are made to the PC, the automatic activation that normally occur in this situation will not be available and a new license will be required.

I need to know before I carryout a complete reinstall if replacing the video card with another is deemed as 'Significant'. Do MS provide more info about what is deemed as 'Significant' in terms of hardware change?

Please only answer if you KNOW the correct answer. Guesses are no good in this situation. Thanks for any help you can give!

Bumbles1945, Sep 22, 2016
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    Activating Windows after a significant hardware change.

SLUi.exe 4

Any significant hardware requirements change with the AU 1607? [​IMG]

'Mike P, Sep 22, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Some people are having issues upgrading to 1607 - it may be worth postponing/deferring upgrading until the bugs are ironed out. I'm not upgrading until the missing drives/RAW format bug is cured.

You could have a look at the HP support site to check you have the altest Windows 10 drivers, ask HP support if your PC is compatible and peruse/post on a relevant HP forum to check for problems. Also, check you have the latest PC BIOS and it supports Windows 10.

Steve C, Sep 22, 2016
  5. shimshom Win User
    I'm running the Anniversary Update on old 775 motherboards (Including a HP DC7900) with both dual core and quad core as well as 1151 ones and no issues. I find the best way is to clean install which seems to remove various issues that happen with the upgrade path

shimshom, Sep 22, 2016
  6. cytherian Win User
    Yes, I did upgrade drivers and the BIOS. In fact, I could not get 10240 RTM installed until I realized that HP updated the BIOS in August 2016. Their "HP Assistant" is fine about updating drivers, but it fails to let you know about BIOS updates... which is a bit frustrating.

cytherian, Sep 23, 2016
  7. cytherian Win User
    I"m going to wait. While the AU 1607 build provides nice improvements, I'm fine with the last build of 1511. Thanks for the tips!

cytherian, Sep 23, 2016
  8. cytherian Win User

NOTE
    Finally Microsoft fixed this problem, after analyzing all of the installation bug reports. This constant failure of being able to upgrade to 1607 appears to be no more... at least for my machine. Microsoft pushed this as a silent update. I expected the update requiring a reboot to be a routine one, but it ballooned into a nearly hour long update affair. I'm VERY lucky this did not happen during business hours, or I would have been SCREWED! I wish Microsoft would be more thoughtful about these updates and let you know HOW LONG they are going to take.

So, I rebooted and then ended up in this long update... didn't know why it was going to take so long. But when I rebooted again, I was greeted as if I'd just updated to Windows 10 for the first time. BIZARRE!

Anyway, not complaining... winver shows that I'm now on 1607. So thank you, Microsoft... but please, give us more advanced users some leeway to know more about what's going on. It is disconcerting to be left in the dark like this.

cytherian, Nov 12, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm still curious as to what determines when the "bugs are ironed out"?

NavyLCDR, Nov 12, 2016
  10. mc510 Win User
    Hey cytherian, I'm in a somewhat similar situation -- older hardware that's working fine with 1511 but not with 1607 -- though my actual problem is somewhat different. How did you get Microsoft to help you fix your problem? I'm at my wits end!

mc510, Nov 13, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    No, none of it is Bizarre. There have been two 'Features Updates...' so far, the Fall Update to 1511 and the Anniversary Update to 1607. Unlike the monthly Cumulative updates that just patch security and bug fixes, a Features Update is a complete install of a whole new operating system - everything has been replaced and you have your old system preserved in 'windows.old'. You HAVE just updated to a new version of Windows 10 - it's called 1607, your old one was called 1511 and (for the next 10 days) you have the option to go back to it, should you wish.

You'll know what to expect next time, Windows 10 version 1703 is due out in the spring...
    Complete Guide to Windows 10 Version 1703

Thema:

1. Any significant hardware requirements change with the AU 1607? - Similar Threads - significant hardware requirements

2. Windows Activation after significant hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation after significant hardware change: I recently bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro and had it working on my desktop. I only used it for a few weeks and my computer had a system failure with the blue screen. After troubleshooting and trying repair/reinstall Windows to no prevail I decided it was time for an upgrade....
  3. Windows Activation after significant hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation after significant hardware change: I recently bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro and had it working on my desktop. I only used it for a few weeks and my computer had a system failure with the blue screen. After troubleshooting and trying repair/reinstall Windows to no prevail I decided it was time for an upgrade....
  4. Windows Activation after significant hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Deactivated after significant hardware change

Windows Deactivated after significant hardware change: I recently replaced my Motherboard, CPU, and RAM only to see that windows had deactivated. My Windows 10 Home is usually activated due to being signed in with my Microsoft account however that doesn't seem to make a difference. So i tried putting in my Windows 10 Home product...
  6. Windows does not want to activate after significant hardware change

Windows does not want to activate after significant hardware change: Ok so I just recently changed my motherboard, processor went from intel to ryzen and my graphics card. I do not have a key, because the pc came preinstalled with Windows 10 Home. Now I am stuck with the activation watermark, even tho I payed for windows. Help would be much...
  7. Windows Activation after significant hardware change

Windows Activation after significant hardware change: Hi, I've recently changed both my motherboard and cpu and am unable to re activate windows on the pc. My version of windows is linked to my microsoft account. When I go use the activation troubleshooter and select the device I'm using, it says 'Unable to activate windows.'...
  8. Reactivating Windows 10 After Significant Hardware Change

Reactivating Windows 10 After Significant Hardware Change: I recently upgraded my PC but now Windows doesn't recognise it and thinks I'm cheating it. I used to Troubleshooter and it did nothing, so I clicked the hardware change link which took me another window where I could choose my device. It was right there, right device name...
  9. AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    AU 1607: "Hinder" Cortana, speed-up computer?: I'm not a Cortana user on my desktop and would like to disable her, but as I have already updated to W10 1607, I understand that this can't happen on W10 Home. So I ask: If I follow these instructions (You can't turn off Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update |...
  10. A new glitch apparently due to AU 1607?

in Windows 10 Support
    A new glitch apparently due to AU 1607?: After installing AU 1607 and having a heck of a time trying to get Logitech's Setpoint 6.67.83 to install and get my TRB-22 to work - never did (see posts on Drivers and Hardware), I now had an interesting incident which may be or not be related to the AU install. Woke...