Windows 10: Any useful scenario for NTFS compression?

Discus and support Any useful scenario for NTFS compression? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good day. I know storage space is dirty cheap these days but I am wondering if there is any weird scenario for NTFS compression to be used. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eLPuSHeR, Sep 9, 2015.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Any useful scenario for NTFS compression?

Good day.

I know storage space is dirty cheap these days but I am wondering if there is any weird scenario for NTFS compression to be used. For instance, for those very slow hard disks , where throughput is very bad. I am thinking about some netbook/laptop slow 5400rps hard disks and such other configurations where the chipset isn't delivering a good throughput data experience (I am looking at one of my work computers, with a crappy nForce chipset where its IDE hard disk isn't a good performer).

As NTFS compression incurs in small speed penalties and there is no reason to compress either not compressible or writeable data, I am thinking in compressing the Program Files folders only and also those folders which are read often but seldom written to.

Let's hear your insights...

:)

eLPuSHeR, Sep 9, 2015

2. Is there any Antivirus useful for my laptop otherwise is Windows Defender good enough?

OK thank you sir. But when I will get creators update

అప్పలాచార్యులులక్కోజు, Sep 9, 2015
  3. Is there any Antivirus useful for my laptop otherwise is Windows Defender good enough?

Sir ,goodmorning I am using windows 10 OS Iis there any Antivirus useful for my laptop otherwise its enough windows defender is enough for these days .Please suggest me and when iwill get creators update

Thanking you

Original subject: antivirus

Moved from Windows 10

***Post moved to the appropriate forum category, and subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

అప్పలాచార్యులులక్కోజు, Sep 9, 2015
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

I made a test on my i7 SATA II drive.
    Using Apptimer to measure application launch time I NTFS compressed Mozilla Firefox folder and it ran slightly faster when compressed (4,7s vs 5.0).

I defragmented the folder and rebooted the pc before any iteration of the test.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 9, 2015
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    On a slower machine (w7, Phenom 1), MS Office 2010 x64 went unfortunately from 2,56s to 3,41s loading time.
    I think NTFS compression Cons overweight the Pros, that is, you incur in some cpu penalty hits and you suffer from terrible fragmentation when writing/modifying. And don't you ever do this on an SSD drive. You will wear out the drive and shorten its lifespam.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 9, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    Actually Windows 10 automatically uses compression for OS files if you have a SSD and it determines your CPU is fast enough. You can check it with compact /compactOs:query from the command prompt. It uses xpress4k not NTFS compression though. I always use it as I'm short on space - whether it is faster or slower depends on relative speeds of your IO and CPU - I can't say I've noticed a difference either way on my hardware (i5 + SATA3 SSD).

I also use it on VMs that I keep on USB3 5200 HDD as I figure that the IO will be so slow that even with decompression overhead it will be faster (but again I can't tell any difference).

Note I've been using xpress16k compression not NTFS when compressing non-OS directories ("C:\Program Files" etc)

lx07, Sep 9, 2015
  7. LMiller7 Win User
    The purpose of NTFS compression has always been to save disk space, not improve performance, although that may occur under in some situations. Hard drives have greatly increased in capacity in recent years but people have no more difficultly in filling 4 TB drives then they did with 4 GB drives when they became popular. NTFS compression will buy a little time before a drive becomes too small and needs to be replaced.

LMiller7, Sep 9, 2015
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

I wasn't aware of the compact thing. I ran your command line and it said my system isn't compacted because Windows has determined is not good for my system.

How can I force it for testing purposes? I answer myself: compact /?

eLPuSHeR, Sep 10, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Yes. I have been doing some tests.

Compacting static executables (Program Files for instance) with the /EXE:LZX switch you gain a lot of space, 3GB or so. Everything gets packed almost 50%. You get a penalty hit when loading, but not very noticeable if you have a beefy cpu. So if you are being low on free disk space you can make some room with this. The main drawback is that as soon you write that data over (by updating any software for instance) the data gets written in uncompressed form. You have to do the packing again. Annoying.

I also tried forcing compacting the os binaries and it yielded about 3GB+ of free space. But you incur in a bigger performance hit here. On a traditional hd OS loading time is almost twice the time.

Anyway a good tool for keeping very static software in a compact manner.

For instance, Crap Cleaner 5.09 x64 goes from 18.005.864 to 6.762.496 bytes. Not bad. Not bad at all...

eLPuSHeR, Sep 11, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    It is. The default compression used by windows is xpress4k. I compress folders using /exe:xpress16k (lzx didn't make much difference for me) but as you say new items are not compressed as it doesn't persist if you use /exe:

What I have done as a workaround is this:

compact /c /s /a /f /q /i /exe:xpress16k - the /f switch forces re-compression but /exe: doesn't persist.

and then
    compact /c /s /a /q /i - this doesn't have the /f so will not do anything as you have already compressed the directory but will mark it to compress any new items at the default (xpress4k).

Be careful compressing C:\Windows directories, especially those in C:\Windows\System32 using other than NTFS as Windows will not boot if you do - better to use compactOs. It is worth compressing C:\Windows\Assembly and C:\Windows\Installer though.

12. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Thanks. I do not like compressing folders with the /c switch. I will repack items as needed with the /EXE:LZX switch. Also, the /f switch sounds problematic. What about already compressed items?

As for Windows folders, ASSEMBLY seems like a good candidate but INSTALLER has got mostly already compressed files. Will do some tests though.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 11, 2015
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

I am also wondering if it's mandatory to boot safe mode prior to compressing (less items locked by system I guess).

eLPuSHeR, Sep 11, 2015
  14. eLPuSHeR Win User
    These are my results for /EXE packing the Windows\ASSEMBLY folder on my Win10 x64

Uncompressed: 871,3 MB (quite a bit huh)
    XPRESS16K: 381 MB
    LZX: 304 MB

eLPuSHeR, Sep 11, 2015
  15. lx07 Win User
    Probably a good idea. I use the /i to ignore errors but safe mode would be better. I'm doing (yet another) clean install at the moment. I'll compress it in safe mode this time once I've got everything installed. My C:\ drive is only 23.2GB so I have to compress as much as I can....

You might find this thread interesting also (bits of it anyway) Windows 10 Compression

Thema:

1. Any useful scenario for NTFS compression? - Similar Threads - useful scenario NTFS

2. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  3. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening: I very recently compressed my drives recently to save space, but the first time I tried to open an Excel file, in one of my drives, instead of opening normally it just gave me a save option!!! and it could only save the file as *.xlsm, which I could not open either.I tried...
  4. Excel file on compacted/compressed NTFS drive not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior: Hello. I am a newbie here (Windows 10 Build 18363). Thanks for having me. I used to repair software and hardware issues in a Windows environment, so I am tech savvy. I have several disks, including two SSDs. Recently, I noticed my primary SSD was filling up. Every day....
  6. Windows 10 NTFS Compression

Windows 10 NTFS Compression: Hi, I have a single file which is 1.6Tb terabites in size. I've click the properties and in advanced attributes I ticked "compress contents to save disk space" then suddenly hang/freeze. I decided to cancel and restart my pc. After rebooting I noticed that the file has now a...
  7. Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable NTFS Compression, but only for new files: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GDP10 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i2mpfp/disable_ntfs_compression_but_only_for_new_files/
  8. NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize

NTFS Compressed Images 2,56GB FileSize: Hello together, first of all, my windows 10 Installation is german, so i hope you can follow all steps, even if the screenshots are with german labels. My Problem: 1. I Copied a lot of Images an Videos 696 Files alltogether from an Huawei P30Pro to my c:-Drive...
  9. Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Ntfs file compression - how to remove from folders: Hi. I just noticed on my small 32GB netbook that a folder on the desktop has the blue arrows on it signifying that Windows 10 has compressed the folder and its contents on its own I guess because I don't have a lot of space left on the netbook. I found this tutorial and...
  10. Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows How to Enable or Disable NTFS File Compression in Windows Windows supports compression for individual files and folders on NTFS volumes using NTFS compression. While NTFS file system compression can save disk...