Windows 10: Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?

Discus and support Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Specifically I want to be able to open Visual Studio Code by searching VS Code instead. League of Legends allows me to search "lol" to have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MattHellstrand, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?

Specifically I want to be able to open Visual Studio Code by searching VS Code instead.

League of Legends allows me to search "lol" to have the program immediately come to the top, is there any way I can replicate this?

submitted by /u/MattHellstrand
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MattHellstrand, Aug 19, 2020

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Aug 19, 2020
  3. MDD0799 Win User
    How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Sergiy Shklyar - You are a genius. This is the solution for pinning a non-executable to the Start Menu. Many thanks.

MDD0799, Aug 19, 2020
  4. RodHarney Win User

Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

This sounds great... only problem is that the hidden folder in Windows 10 "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" contains five folders and no files. If I add my shortcut to the "Programs" folder as suggested, it does NOT appear
    in the "All apps" list. If I put it in the "Windows System" folder, a subfolder of "Programs" which contains 7 other shortcuts that show up in "All apps", my shortcut still does not appear. I really don't care about "The common way" or "the more elegant way",
    I just want to know how to accomplish this, and so far, these solutions just don't work. It seems like there should be a folder, somewhere, where all the shortcuts for the "All apps" list are stored. I hope someone can help me with this frustrating issue.

RodHarney, Aug 19, 2020
Thema:

Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut?

1. Any way to add a "nickname" to a start menu shortcut? - Similar Threads - add nickname start

2. Is there any way to move the Start menu to the center?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to move the Start menu to the center?: Hello, is there any way to move the start menu to the center? My PC isn't compatible with Windows 11, as it doesn't have a TPM, so I got a theme but only the start button has moved. So, is there any way to move the start menu to the center? I'm on Windows 10 Pro, if that...
  3. Any way to remove these from start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to remove these from start menu?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MindOfErick [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/le9nta/any_way_to_remove_these_from_start_menu/
  4. Is there any way to create a shortcut to the alt+F4 shutdown menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to create a shortcut to the alt+F4 shutdown menu?: When you press alt-F4 on the desktop it brings up a shutdown menu. I prefer using this menu but I was wondering if there’s a way to make a desktop shortcut to it. submitted by /u/FloatingMilkshake [link] [comments]...
  5. Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?

Add a group for app shortcuts on the start menu?: The start menu has groups of apps on the right side, e.g., Productivity, Explore, etc. How do I add a group of my own choosing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-a-group-for-app-shortcuts-on-the-start-menu/a88f905f-d124-4ae8-a862-50aacdc38d71
  6. Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803)

Add Desktop shortcut to Start Menu (Broken in Rev 1803): The previous technique used to add shortcuts from the desktop to Start involved adding shortcuts to C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. This used to cause these shortcuts to appear in the start menu (perhaps under recently add items)...
  7. Can't add shortcuts to start menu

Can't add shortcuts to start menu: I can't pin shortcuts to start menu , i tried drag and drop , but it won't let me. I also don't have a "Start Menu' tab in taskbar properties. [img] [img] 10986
  8. Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu

Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu: So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed...
  9. Any way to add picture to 9926 start screen?

Any way to add picture to 9926 start screen?: Anybody found a way to add a picture to background of full page 9926 start screen? 3704
  10. Any Way to Rename Start Menu Tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Any Way to Rename Start Menu Tiles: Title says it all -- In particular, Windows Update tile which was created by right-clicking on Update & security box in settings and selecting Pin to Start. The tile opens up the Windows Update page and I would like to rename the tile to say Windows Update ( or Win Update...