Windows 10: Any way to add programs to default list?

Discus and support Any way to add programs to default list? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I use Eudora 7.1 for email in Windows 10. It's an old program that is no longer supported; however, it works perfectly. But it's not showing as my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by larc919, Apr 15, 2016.

1. larc919 Win User

Any way to add programs to default list?

I use Eudora 7.1 for email in Windows 10. It's an old program that is no longer supported; however, it works perfectly. But it's not showing as my default email program and isn't listed among available choices. Is there any way to add it to the list so I can make it the default?

:)

larc919, Apr 15, 2016

2. How do I add new programs to the default programs dropdown list iin Windows 10?

This is dated Aug 18, 2015. Are there any solutions discussed recently?

femuellersj, Apr 15, 2016
  3. How do I add new programs to the default programs dropdown list iin Windows 10?

I found Sharief's reply helpful and was able to set PhotoElf as my default photo viewer for the various photo file types using this method. However, I take Crillium's point that it would be much quicker and easier if there was simply an option at the bottom
    of Windows 10 default program list (for example, for photo programs) to 'add a program to the default list'. This is especially so since Windows 10 own choices seem to be extremely limited.

Frank EllisZX, Apr 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you can select
    Mailto and .eml as defaults in the Control Panel:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations
    (I have these set to Thunderbird).

You might also like to set a shortcut to Eudora in SendTo.

You can also use rt click on .eml (e.g.), Open With, More Apps, scroll down and browse to Eudora.

MS rules mean only approved programs appear. Adding them manually is- well- a little more involved e.g.
    How do I add new applications to the list in Windows Vista/7? - Super User

dalchina, Apr 15, 2016
  5. larc919 Win User
    Thanks, but Eudora unfortunately isn't an option with the .eml extension or MAILTO protocol, and there's no way to navigate to it. A complex registry setting might do the trick, but I think I'll just continue with the mild inconvenience rather than resorting to that.

larc919, Apr 16, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I'm surprised.. what happens if you browse to (I assume) eudora.exe in its installation folder? If you do that the association will be established with the exe - it's then just a question of what happens when you try to open an eml file.

Any way to add programs to default list? [​IMG]

Have you actually got as far as doing this? (Here I show Thunderbird - yours would be eudora)

Is eudora not capable of opening eml files?

dalchina, Apr 16, 2016
  7. larc919 Win User
    Thanks. I finally managed to get the .eml association for what it's worth (there's not a single .eml file on my PC), but not the MAILTO protocol, which is what I really want. Windows 10 has locked Forté Agent (which I have installed but don't use for email) into that function and only gives me the option of going to the Windows Store for other programs.

larc919, Apr 16, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, good - an association is easier to deal with than a protocol, for which I see Thunderbird, Mail and Store listed. That implies Eudora needs to register its capability to be listed.

I noted this:
    Ajay and Jim, I stumbled onto the solution.

In desperation I figured that I'd install the simple mail program the MS provides and use it as a go-between, but didn't quite know how to find it in 8.1, so I searched with the term "mail." Up popped an offer to, among other things, change the default email program. OK, worth a try. Eudora was the suggestion that came up!!!!

Any way to add programs to default list? [​IMG]

That suggests what you need to have in the registry. I found Mail\Hotmail curious (must be the Mail app).

I imagine you've searched around on this topic.
    I just found:
    Google Groups
    - which seems to suggest v7.1 works in win 10.

How to run Eudora v7 on Windows 10 | Ian Tresman
    - a couple of hints on compatibility and an option (probably want to avoid the complexity of junctions etc)

dalchina, Apr 16, 2016
  9. larc919 Win User
    Thanks again. I've never had any problems running Eudora in Windows 10. It works perfectly, just as it did in past Windows versions. My main problem was with getting MAILTO directed to it. I think that may be effectively solved now by ignoring Windows and turning my attention to Firefox. That permitted me to designate Eudora.exe as the MAILTO target. So while I wasn't able to get it done the way I originally wanted to, it's a practical solution that will work for my purposes.

I very much appreciate all your efforts.

larc919, Apr 17, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, in case someone else has the same problem, could you explain how you achieved that...and where Firefox fits in? Thanks!

dalchina, Apr 17, 2016
  11. larc919 Win User
    I needed the Eudora target for MAILTO only when web browsing. Firefox has that setting in Tools > Options > Applications, which applies only to itself. So now I'll just stick to Firefox for all my web browsing. Problem effectively solved.

larc919, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Any way to add programs to default list? - Similar Threads - add programs default

2. add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS: What does this mean? Create an association in the Default Programs on control panel. Cannot send emails becacause of :"no email associationto perform this action"........Have been using the same email address for years..but cannot send emails from certain sites like...
  3. add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Customization
    add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS: What does this mean? Create an association in the Default Programs on control panel. Cannot send emails becacause of :"no email associationto perform this action"........Have been using the same email address for years..but cannot send emails from certain sites like...
  4. add yahoo mail as default mail program in DEFAULT PROGRAMS

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  6. How to add programs to the Default Apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to add programs to the Default Apps list?: I mean the list that shows up when you go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps. You can "Look for an app in the Microsoft Store", but I want to add a .exe. I know you can set default apps by file type or protocol, but this is much easier and I don't have to set them one by one...
  7. Any way to add expanded menus back to the start list?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any way to add expanded menus back to the start list?: I found the method to add items to the start list, but its missing certain things, for instance the control panel and the shell: games folder. I want to be able to add those options to the start list and also make them expanded lists so I dont have to open a folder and then...
  8. How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?

How to add my own program to the list of Default programs?: I'm trying to add my own program (AkelPad) to the list of Default programs. [img] I created and applied the reg-file, but the program still is not in the list. Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AkelPad\Capabilities]...
  9. Installed program not on any of the default lists

Installed program not on any of the default lists: I have installed an update to InDesign (CC 2017 from CC 2015) and the program works fine. However, I cannot open files by default with it. I tried all 7 options given in the Windows forum (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...a.html#option1) but CC 2017 didn’t show up on...
  10. Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists

Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists: Hi guys, Does anyone have a Tutorial, link, or tested ideas on: 1. How to manually add a program to Default Programs List in Win 10, if it doesn't show up for a current user? I don't want to create a new user account for that even if its possible that way. 2. How to...