Windows 10: Any way to change in register which GPU is used for Energy saving?

Discus and support Any way to change in register which GPU is used for Energy saving? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have my primary monitor connected to my RX 5700, and another connected to the video output of my Ryzen 5700G, however, Windows seems to prefer using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SweetArkhane, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Any way to change in register which GPU is used for Energy saving?

I have my primary monitor connected to my RX 5700, and another connected to the video output of my Ryzen 5700G, however, Windows seems to prefer using the 5700 for everything, and in Graphic Settings I have this see screenshotAs you can see, both power plans use the 5700, I can choose a specific GPU for a specific app, but it has to be done app by app and doesn't always work!What I want is :-Have the default GPU being used as AMD Radeon Graphics the "igpu" of my Ryzen-Have AMD Radeon Graphics being used as the Energy Saver GPU

:)

SweetArkhane, Mar 20, 2023
  2. Zeond1987 Win User

Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

I have 2 GPU's (Nvidia GTX 970 and 1080) and I want to force a program to use the 1080 for certain programs/games. Going to Settings>System>Display>Graphics Settings should give me the option to switch GPU's. Unfortunately it does not list both of my GPU's
    nor does it allow me to change to another one, only the default GPU is chosen (the 970). This is a desktop computer and I have tried the Nvidia control panel and UEFI settings without much luck. If I tried selecting a program to run on my 1080 (through the
    Nvidia control panel), it would still run it on the 970. I have tried switching the GPU's around with not much luck there either. If I can suggest to Microsoft the option in the Graphics Settings to list both GPU's for selection, that would be great. Otherwise
    I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Zeond1987, Mar 20, 2023
  3. Strange pc energy saving behavior

Hi everyone,

I state that I have always had problems understanding how the energy saving of my Asus laptop works. First of all, I don't understand how energy profiles work and I can't use monitoring tools.

I start from a concrete example:

I'm trying to open a password protected rar archive. I tried various software but then I came across cRARk and its commercial version "parallel password recovery" (PPR) because they are the fastest I have found.

I run cRARk on one of my two GPUs and the demo version of PPR on the CPU using all 4 cores I have. At the same time

To monitor everything I rely on the task manager, "resource monitoring" and GPU-Z.

To change the energy profiles I use the "Windows portable PC center"

The problems are these:

1) The task manager does not report cRARk's GPU usage. So I use GPU-Z.

2) If I select the "Balanced" profile and move the indicator that appears in the panel from "maximum battery life" to "maximum performance" (which is the maximum), GPU-Z brings me the GPU usage back to 90-95 % with (425/933 Mhz GPU / Memory clock), ALWAYS!

So I use the "Energy Saving" profile if I want to reduce fan noise and power consumption during the night. (300/870 MHz)

3) Moving on to the CPU there is the big PROBLEM. If I use the "Balanced" profile in any position the CPU loads at 45% and the frequency is about 1 Ghz (40% from "resource monitoring"). Which is already strange.
    If I use the "Energy Saving" profile, the CPU goes to a 65% load and the frequency to 1.6Ghz (66%).
    If I use "high performance" it behaves like the "Balanced" profile.

4) My CPU should go beyond 3Ghz but that's another problem!

Francesco aka

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted to add a question, perhaps this is more feasible:

Is it possible to set the processor frequency to its maximum continuously?

einstein1969, Mar 20, 2023
  4. Mithin_EJ Win User

Any way to change in register which GPU is used for Energy saving?

Is there a way to force a program to use a secondary GPU?

Hi Zeond1987,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Are you getting any error message?

If you have a multi-GPU system running Windows 10, you can now manually specify the preferred graphics processor an app should use for performance or to improve battery life.

In order to force an app to use a discrete GPU instead of the integrated one, or vice versa to provide better system performance or battery life, I suggest you to follow the below steps.

1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the System icon. Click on System.

2. Click on Display on the left side

3. Under “Multiple displays,” click the Advanced graphics settings link.

4. Select the kind of app you want to configured using the drop-down menu:

Classic app — these are your traditional Win32 desktop programs.

Universal app — these are those app available through the Microsoft Store.

5. If you select Classic app, you’ll need to click the Browse button to locate the “.exe” file to add the app. Otherwise, if you select the Universal app option, you’ll see a second drop-down menu to select the app.

6. Select the app you added from the list.

7. Click the Options button

8. Set the graphics preference you want to use:

System default — this is always the default setting, and Windows 10 decide which GPU to use automatically.

Power saving — runs the application on the GPU that uses the least power, which most of the time is your integrated graphics processor.

High performance — runs the application on the most capable GPU, which is most of the time an external or discrete graphics processor.

9. Click the Save button.

I also recommend you to update the GTX 1080 drivers from the manufacturer website, and
    Check if that work.

Hope it helps,

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes Or No

Mithin_EJ, Mar 20, 2023
Thema:

Any way to change in register which GPU is used for Energy saving?

1. Any way to change in register which GPU is used for Energy saving? - Similar Threads - change register GPU

2. change gpu used in power saving mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change gpu used in power saving mode: Is it possible to change what gpu is used when power saving mode is on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-gpu-used-in-power-saving-mode/4730853b-6328-4b85-9221-4fc5e747e4cb
  3. change gpu used in power saving mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    change gpu used in power saving mode: Is it possible to change what gpu is used when power saving mode is on? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-gpu-used-in-power-saving-mode/4730853b-6328-4b85-9221-4fc5e747e4cb
  4. Any way to change in register which GPU is used for Energy saving?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any way to change in register which GPU is used for Energy saving?: I have my primary monitor connected to my RX 5700, and another connected to the video output of my Ryzen 5700G, however, Windows seems to prefer using the 5700 for everything, and in Graphic Settings I have this see screenshotAs you can see, both power plans use the 5700, I...
  5. Photos doesn't register/save crop changes, but will save other changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos doesn't register/save crop changes, but will save other changes: HelloHope somebody can help, as I'm at my wits end. When I open a photo in Microsoft Photos and crop it and save it, then Photos just doesn't register/save these changes. I can get it to save other changes vignette etc.. I use custom settingswhen cropping, and it's like the...
  6. Any way to change this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any way to change this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/gran172 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jfoy62/any_way_to_change_this/
  7. Energy Saving

in Windows 10 Customization
    Energy Saving: Hi, I like the default dark background in W10. But still there are some features in Windows, that will use Energy for no reason as the Screensaver. In a World thinking about his Energy poblems, you should disable the possibility to even activate such features. did you...
  8. GPU clock energy saving?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU clock energy saving?: Hello, I like to save energy, who knows how I managed to get my 1070 to go down from the standard 1597mhz to 139 mhz, saves about 30watt in idle :) Change in NvidiaControllPanel under performance mode, whether adaptive or optimal does not change anything and in the...
  9. Is there any way to know which of C++ distribution I'm still using and which are safe to...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to know which of C++ distribution I'm still using and which are safe to...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BlueBoxxx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gen7zg/is_there_any_way_to_know_which_of_c_distribution/
  10. GPU spikes and high energy usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GPU spikes and high energy usage: Hi, so, it's been about 2-3 mounths that my pc started to register some high energy usage (like in the image below) and very frequent GPU spiking, causing software choking and one of them immediatly crashes (Blender 2.80). Spiking occurs when doing something minimally...