Windows 10: Any way to choose what news services are being used...?

Discus and support Any way to choose what news services are being used...? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; In Edge Home page or the News app? 31206 Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by TheMany, Nov 22, 2015.

1. TheMany Win User

Any way to choose what news services are being used...?

In Edge Home page or the News app?

:)

TheMany, Nov 22, 2015
  2. letti002 Win User

How can I choose to see what Updates are being offered and then only download?

It should be noted that the option to choose no longer exists.

I have a program that needs to run for more than a week and it is stopped each time with an automatic re-boot.

I am to the point where I should just unplug my computer from the Internet to protect it from Microsoft.

letti002, Nov 22, 2015
  3. How can I choose to see what Updates are being offered and then only download?

Original title: Windows 10 UPDATE screwed me! Now What?

How can I choose to see what Updates are being offered and then only download and install them when I'm ready?

As a developer, I work with a lot of open files across three screens, sometimes as many as 30-40 open all at once with pointers into each file at exact points of interest. On NYE 2015 I got up from my machine and when I returned one 1/1/2016 my screens
    were all blank. Not only were all my views closed along with all my applications but the work I was doing was unsaved and days of work was lost. The Notification center was happy as could be, Updates were Installed!

This mildly said SUCKS!!!! I have been trying to read how to prevent this sort of thing from ever happening again. My consulting rates don't include charging my customers for time lost do to Microsoft fixing my computer. But is it even broken... I don't
    surf the web and if I do some research, I only go to trusted sites. I don't play games and for the most part I done install anything new - I work in Visual Studio, SQL Server and leave the rest of the world alone. And I really don't care if some new language
    pack has the wrong accent over a letter that I will never see.

So why should I be forced to get updates that I really don't need? It takes be several hours to reopen a project with al the correct tables aligned and displays on my screens and being forced to create MY environment so some junior product manager can say
    he/she is keeping their code up to date is really not right to the customer.

harveymushman, Nov 22, 2015
  4. Any way to choose what news services are being used...?

How do you mean
    Please explain more
    What you want to do or trying to do

hTconeM9user, Nov 22, 2015
  5. TheMany Win User
    For instance, in the News app it is picking stories from The NY Times, BBC, Washington Post, Fox News, and a bunch of other outlets and publications.

Is there anywhere to set it to show me (for sake of argument) say articles from only the NY Times and BBC?

TheMany, Nov 22, 2015
  6. ARC1020 Win User
    In the Windows 8 News app you could choose your own news sources and even pin individual sources to the Start Screen, but I've just looked and it doesn't look like you can do that with the Windows 10 News App.

Same with the Sports app, it doesn't look like you can pin your favourite team/league to the Start Screen anymore either.

ARC1020, Nov 22, 2015
  7. TheMany Win User
    Thanks, ARC1020. That's what I suspected.

Oh well, that's one more app off my start menu.

TheMany, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Any way to choose what news services are being used...?

1. Any way to choose what news services are being used...? - Similar Threads - choose news services

2. Is there any way to control updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there any way to control updates?: I'm getting more and more p**d off with W10 because of the apparent inability to have any control over when it performs updates. The latest and most frustrating annoyance occurred whilst I was on holiday and using a mobile broadband (mi-fi) device. Windows decided to update...
  3. Any way to reassign a drive in the line up? Used to be #0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Any way to reassign a drive in the line up? Used to be #0: So here is the scenario.... My new rig has given me hell since I got it from hardware issues to software issues... most of it's all cleared up now so I'm thankful for that and many thanks to all the nice folks here for your help in getting there. *Smile Now the rig came...
  4. Microsoft News - Push Notification Services

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft News - Push Notification Services: Hello, I was wondering a few things, and have a few things to share: -What port number does the Microsoft News App use for Breaking news notifications? -Which service provides breaking news notifications when App is not running? -Is this service locked down to Microsoft's...
  5. Is there any way that we can choose what shows in the new "dark mode"?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there any way that we can choose what shows in the new "dark mode"?: As the subject states, I just got the latest October update, and I normally have the dark theme enabled, as I like the settings window to be dark, but now you guys made it so it changes the file explorer. Is there any way we can keep it so we can have the dark theme enabled...
  6. any way to get around "someone else being in my Microsoft account"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    any way to get around "someone else being in my Microsoft account": Because of this issue I have to be posting from my alt account. Basically here's what happened, my surface pro broke, I took it to the store to get it repaired, as they repaired it they gave me a loaner laptop. They were not able to fix it and just replaced it. I am now...
  7. Location service being used without my permission

in Windows 10 Support
    Location service being used without my permission: Dear forum readers, It just happened minutes ago. A few minutes after boot, I noticed the location service icon in the notification bar, which means it's being used, or am I wrong ? The problem is, the only app I permitted to use it is MS Edge, which is supposed to ask for...
  8. Any way to change default font used in applications?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Any way to change default font used in applications?: I hate MS Sans Serif and many programs use that as the default font for text boxes and labels - including Winaero Tweaker. I have already changed all my system fonts using Winaero Tweaker, yet these are still the same. Does anyone know a way to change the default font...
  9. What VPN services does everyone use?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What VPN services does everyone use?: Trying to gather a concensus of what everyone might use as a VPN client program, or if they found a server and made their own connection with Windows VPN. I've been trying tons of different programs all day, and have not fallen in love with any so far. I've also tried finding...
  10. What are these services?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are these services?: I am unable to find anything on-line about whether I should disable them or celebrate them. CDPUser_26fc94a Contact Data_26fc94a Messaging Service-26fc94a Synchost_26fc94a User Data Access_26fc94a User Data Storage_26fc94a John 76528