Windows 10: Any way to disable sortting of icons on individual folders?

Discus and support Any way to disable sortting of icons on individual folders? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My desktop icons can be moved freely to any position. I note when I right click and look at the SORT options, none are checked. Is there any way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PeterPan2000, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Any way to disable sortting of icons on individual folders?

My desktop icons can be moved freely to any position. I note when I right click and look at the SORT options, none are checked. Is there any way to force that same behavior on an individual folder? I've tried installing the Windows Powershell as one answer I found on goggle suggested it. Powershell also gives me a start menu more like what I was used to on Win-7, so I'll keep it. But it doesn't change the fact that individual folders, displaying icons any size, MUST be sorted. There simply is no way to uncheck all the sort boxes, and so you can't move icons around in a manner that makes sense. I believe I also found a suggestion to delete certain registry keys to fix this problem, which only resulted in undesired affects and did not solve anything.

As a work-around, I know I can sort by NAME, and then rename the various icons starting with two digit numbers, to force them into what i see as a logical order. But in every other version of windows I've ever used, you could move icons any way you wanted. Seems that capability is gone? Is it planned to be given back to us in some future update?

:)

PeterPan2000, Feb 2, 2020

2. How can I customize individual folder icons in Windows 10?

Hi Laurie,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with changing folder icons on Windows 10.

We can change the individual folder icons by following steps and check if it helps.

1. Right click on Folder.

2. Then click on Properties.

3. Click on Shortcut tab.

4. Then click on Change icon.

5. Select the different icon from the list or browse the icons.

Please get back to us with an update on customizing issue with Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 2, 2020
  3. taid Win User
    Show hidden icons chevron missing some individual icons…

Dalchina -thanks for your reply
    >>> I believe you're referring to the Windows Defender Notification Tray Icon<<<

I’ve had a look in Task Manager – Start Up but it’s not just disabled – its not listed…
    I’ve followed the various ways that your link suggests to re-enable it – but I can never find it listed…

The Windows Security Notification icon is there and is enabled.

Thanks again.

taid, Feb 2, 2020
  4. Any way to disable sortting of icons on individual folders?

Changing and locking a custom icon to a folder?

I want to change a few folders icons and fix the icon to the folder so if its moved to other computers the icon wont change is there any way of doing this thanks,

Live OR Die, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

Any way to disable sortting of icons on individual folders?

1. Any way to disable sortting of icons on individual folders? - Similar Threads - disable sortting icons

2. Sort by folder icons?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort by folder icons?: So, silly question.Can you sort by folder icons?Why?Dropbox recently disabled my account and they allow you to store files online or offline. The online files have an icon with a grey x over them.I had a local storage of Dropbox files but there are online and offline files...
  3. Sort by folder icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort by folder icons?: So, silly question.Can you sort by folder icons?Why?Dropbox recently disabled my account and they allow you to store files online or offline. The online files have an icon with a grey x over them.I had a local storage of Dropbox files but there are online and offline files...
  4. Sort by folder icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there any way of sorting all files in a folder by file name length?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any way of sorting all files in a folder by file name length?: I was just backing a folder up and it halted because a file name was too long. Why would it care? As if text takes up a lot of space. Anyway, it would be great to be able to sort so I can trim down long file names....
  6. Is there a way to increase the seize of individual icons?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to increase the seize of individual icons?: As title: i want to have different icon dimensions in my desktop. Is there a way (even a third party app) to change the seize of individual apps? Of course I'm on windows 10 submitted by /u/Dave1907 [link] [comments]...
  7. Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?: Any way to do this or am I limited to only date, size, and type? submitted by /u/greatbuy99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kjf5e8/is_there_any_way_to_sort_files_any_way_i_want_in/
  8. Disabled sorting files in folders when displayed as "ICONS"?!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disabled sorting files in folders when displayed as "ICONS"?!: Hello, to sort files by date or name is a useful feature that is partially disabled now in Windows 10. If you have a sub-folder inside the "Downloads" folder with images and you have them displayed for example as'Icons' instead of as 'Details' then you are not able to sort...
  9. Any way to disable sorting of icons on individual folders?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any way to disable sorting of icons on individual folders?: My desktop icons can be moved freely to any position. I note when I right click and look at the SORT options, none are checked. Is there any way to force that same behavior on an individual folder? I've tried installing the Windows Powershell as one answer I found on goggle...
  10. Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?: Hi, As the title says, I'm trying to change the default look of the folders located in 'This PC' (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc). By this I mean when viewing in 'This PC', and not in 'C:\User Data\', which has no problems. I have tried: - Editing windows.ini...