Windows 10: Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions?

Discus and support Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, As often happens, I have an undeletable folder on my Windows 10 PC. I am logged in as me, the only user, an administrator, but, infuriatingly,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hellopaul, Dec 4, 2018 at 6:07 PM.

1. Hellopaul Win User

Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions?

Hello,
    As often happens, I have an undeletable folder on my Windows 10 PC. I am logged in as me, the only user, an administrator, but, infuriatingly, when I recently updated Windows 10, Microsoft left a trail of junk lying around, including a folder called WindowsApps. I've hunted around and found some not entirely helpful guides on how to delete this - why does this OS not allow me, an admin, to administer my machine?

So my question is: Is there some app or command that I can use to just exterminate something from my hard drive? I am soooo fed up with this terrible OS telling me what I can and can't do. The process of setting permissions is utterly ridiculous (and, today, entirely ineffective, resulting in helpful errors like "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied"). I also got an error, when trying to fix the permissions on this folder that "This access control entry is corrupt". So I try to create a new one..."Select a principal"? What on earth does that mean? So I went through the process of creating a new thing, but it's stuck in a loop with that same "enumerate" error.

Which brings me back to my first question: I have admin control over this hopeless OS, so is there some kind of way (some equivalent of Linux's "sudo") of bypassing this corruption and just deleting the thing without having to spend a year or so at Microsoft while they explain all their in-jokes on how they hate their users and take every opportunity to make our lives miserable?

Sorry for the rant, but I've just spent a couple of days using Mac OSX, and coming back to this clunky old Windows 10 is very, very painful.

:)

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions? :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions? :eek:hwell:

3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

4. Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions?

0 byte folder cannot be deleted Problem

I have a 0 byte folder and I can't delete it. I'm using win 7 64 bit.
    please help *Cry :cry:

It says access denied when trying, please login as admin blah blah msgs....

I've searched the net for hours, Trying unlocker, fileassassin, and all other 'file deleter' programs out there. tried on safe mode, tried the cmd commands, even in cmd it says access denied, tried the closing explorer.exe and doing the command. I tried changing permissions and atrributes and it says you do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings. I logged in as the Administrator and still no hope.

the folder originally contained all my movies but since then i moved(using the move command) all of them someplace else(on another hdd) and I thought it was gone but the folder is still there, 0 bytes. It was shared when i deleted it and still appeared on the shared folders list but inaccessible coz it was already deleted so i 'unshared' the folder from the shared folders list. and so the problem began. the folder is still there and it is undeletable

One surefire way to do it without deleting my files is copying all other files to another HDD and reformat it and copy it back again but my hdd is currently contains 1 tb out of 1.36 and i dont have any hdds with that free space to use.

ALSO I CAN'T OPEN THE FOLDER it says

Location is not available

'directory' is not accessible.
    Access is Denied.

i think its more of a windows glitch than a virus problem

help??? *Frown Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions? :(

lyndonguitar, Dec 4, 2018 at 6:13 PM
Thema:

Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions?

1. Any way to force delete a folder, regardless of permissions? - Similar Threads - force delete folder

2. Is there any secret way to change/remove the permission from any file?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is there any secret way to change/remove the permission from any file?: Hello Everyone, I was using windows 7 and then for some reason, I had to Install Windows 10! From there the problem beginning to occur! I did everything right, I used windows 10 before and I am installing windows since 2009. so there is no problem in my windows installing!...
  3. Unable to change permissions or in any way modify some OneDrive folders - can't take...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to change permissions or in any way modify some OneDrive folders - can't take...: I've been looking online for a long time now with no sign of a solution. Everything suggests that all I need to do is go into the advanced security tab, change the owner to myself and tick "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and "Replace all child object permission...
  4. Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to customize the folder icons in 'This PC'?: Hi, As the title says, I'm trying to change the default look of the folders located in 'This PC' (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc). By this I mean when viewing in 'This PC', and not in 'C:\User Data\', which has no problems. I have tried: - Editing windows.ini...
  5. Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions Issue - Not allowed to delete folder: Hi, I have a folder that I don't have permission to delete. I am using Windows 10. It seems to be owned by Laptop/path (the laptop's local account) [img] A while ago, Windows10 prompted me to change my username and sign in using a windows account....
  6. Easy way to Manually delete Windows.old folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Easy way to Manually delete Windows.old folder: Greetings from Holly Jerusalem 1. Open this PC 2. Go to drive C 3. Go manage in top of ribbon 4. Click cleanup disk 5. In here Click cleanup system files 6. Check Windows.old box or all 7. Click OK Done Hoping that will help 94131
  7. some tool or something for force deleting folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    some tool or something for force deleting folders: hi sometimes i get stuck with a error that it cant delete a folder because of too long filename or it says it's in use when infact it isn't is there some nice tool for this? 37682
  8. Is there any way to force more resources to an app?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is there any way to force more resources to an app?: I have a new backup drive (WD MyCloud) and new software to backup a large amount of data (1.5TB). the process is progressing extremely slow (only about 20 GB/day). When I look at task manager I see that little or no GPU and only 14% of memory being used. Is there some...
  9. Require permission from myself to delete folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Require permission from myself to delete folder: When I try to delete some folders it asks me to give administrator permission to delete it so I do then it tells me I require permission from MSI/BBass (myself) to make changes to this folder. This has happened for multiple folders in my steam folder. I've tried giving myself...
  10. Can't delete folder - Windows requires Administrator permission

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete folder - Windows requires Administrator permission: Hello, I try to completely delete a folder from C:\Program Files (x86), after I uninstalled the program it contained, but I get this message: "You require permission from administrators to make changes to this folder" But I am the administrator, no? Thanks *Smile 12525