Windows 10: Any way to force IE11 as default browser via domain GP? Server 2008

Discus and support Any way to force IE11 as default browser via domain GP? Server 2008 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; So I have a client who just got 10 new windows 10 machines and added them to the windows 2008R2 domain. By default, Edge is the set browser and I know... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Glenn, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Glenn Win User

Any way to force IE11 as default browser via domain GP? Server 2008

So I have a client who just got 10 new windows 10 machines and added them to the windows 2008R2 domain. By default, Edge is the set browser and I know I can manually go into the profile and set the preferred browser but the problem is multiple users connect to each machine (this is in a DR office) the nurses move around and log into their profiles on each machine. So they would have to do this on each machine for each user which they don't want to do.

Is there a way to enforce the browser for all windows 10 machines via GPA to use IE11 that comes with windows 10?

My idea was to either domain wide on windows 10 machines use IE11 or if not possible created a GPA based on OS and set the default browser.

Or worst case figures out a way to remove Edge from the machines.

Does anyone happen to know a way or ran into this issue previously?

:)

Glenn, Apr 12, 2016

2. windows server 2016 standard as addtional domain controller

Hi,

I have a primary domain controller running on windows server 2008 R2 & also have a additional domain controller running on same windows server 2008 R2.

Recently I have bought a new server hardware and installed windows server 2016 standard OS. Now the requirement is to promote this new server 2016 as domain controller. I will make this server additional domain controller and still the PDC will be running
    on windows server 2008 R2 only. I need to know when the PDC & ADC server version will be different then will it causes any issue in functionality of domain controller.

Group policy will be migrated to the ADC or not. We will check the functionality of ADC by shutting down the PDC server.

Kindly let me know what all difficulties I can face during this setup. Are there any compatibility issue which can occur.

Regards

Ankur

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

Ankur_Mishra, Apr 12, 2016
  3. Windows 10 continually suggests Using Edge instead of IE

I have this problem as well but I came to Win10 via 8.1. When I go to Settings, it always has IE11 as my default browser. Then Windows 10 goes ahead and completely ignores my IE11 default. Whether requesting a link to my browser from Windows Explorer, Word
    2007, Outlook 2007, Access 2007, another open IE11 browser window, etc - MS always presents me with a list of five browsers.

All this is a great nuisance but there is a bigger problem. There seems to be no way to get Sandboxie 64-bit to open IE11. This means I have to do questionable web browsing without Sandbox protection - DANGEROUS.

I have selected IE11 from the browser list over 1000 times checking "Always use this app" hoping MS finally fixed it. It never works.

Atlanta Southsider, Apr 12, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Check with Microsoft before attempting to remove Edge, you might end up with in-valid/un-authentic Windows. If memory serves me, I think the IT people had to develop a PUSH technology, a forced net-station download and a forced Top/Down maintenance, in order to enforce certain defaults.

RolandJS, Apr 12, 2016
  5. Glenn Win User
    Glenn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Any way to force IE11 as default browser via domain GP? Server 2008 - Similar Threads - force IE11 default

2. Widows Server 2008

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Widows Server 2008: I am trying to revive a HP home server with Sever 2008 rs installed. I have it up and running as I wish however am having issues setting up file sharing. When I go into the add roles wizard to select server roles I do not see "file sharing" option there are only two options...
  3. Widows Server 2008

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Widows Server 2008: I am trying to revive a HP home server with Sever 2008 rs installed. I have it up and running as I wish however am having issues setting up file sharing. When I go into the add roles wizard to select server roles I do not see "file sharing" option there are only two options...
  4. Domain Controller Migration from Server 2008 SP1 Standard to Server 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Domain Controller Migration from Server 2008 SP1 Standard to Server 2016: Dear Support, I need advise, i have Domain controller Server 2008 Standard SP1 6.0.6001 and planning to migrate to Server 2016. So is it possible direct migration. Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated. Thanks Regards...
  5. Domain Controller Migration from Server 2008 SP1 Standard to Server 2016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Domain Controller Migration from Server 2008 SP1 Standard to Server 2016: Dear Support, I need advise, i have Domain controller Server 2008 Standard SP1 6.0.6001 and planning to migrate to Server 2016. So is it possible direct migration. Your prompt reply will be highly appreciated. Thanks Regards...
  6. Client cannot join domain domain Windows Server 2008 R2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Client cannot join domain domain Windows Server 2008 R2: Hello Team,My customer have active directory on windows server 2008 R2- His windows server shutdown by electric power off- After Electric on then he start windows active directory on windows server 2008 R2- Normal the active directory - But new client unable to join the...
  7. Any way to convince Windows 10 that Firefox is my default browser?

in Browsers and Email
    Any way to convince Windows 10 that Firefox is my default browser?: [img] This browser along with 5 others was converted to Windows 10 from Windows 7 in January but every time I bring up my browser on this computer I get this message. All the other computers are fine. If I have done something wrong perhaps someone can help me. I am out of...
  8. Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Browser Hijacking (IE11 and EDGE): Hi Folks Be extra careful currently as there is STILL a problem in security with IE11 and Edge which can allow "unscrupulous" users to hijack your browser / do other nasty things - and currently NO A/V software can protect against this. BE VERY CAREFUL if using IE11 /...
  9. Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings

in Browsers and Email
    Can't Set IE11 as Default Browser in Settings: I'm not even close to being ready for MS Edge. Problem is I can't set IE11 as the default in settings because it is not an option when I click on Web Browser in Settings. For what it's worth, Edge isn't listed either. Links in MS Outlook revert to Edge 45999
  10. IE11 - Make Default

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 - Make Default: How Can I make IE11 the default please? I have to do this by pressing the option button in edge (...) each time. Help for this old duffer appreciated. 81523