Windows 10: Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10?

Discus and support Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Found this:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Apsis021504, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10?

Found this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-without/ee0e6aad-3e65-4ebe-b027-293629329665

@Melchizedek Qui

1. How could we restore the BAGS or replace them to get the auto-search back if we want to have the keys removed VIA a .reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

2. Can we add them back without a pre-exported .reg?

3. Are there keys to remove that would do the same for searches?

:)

Apsis021504, Feb 12, 2020

2. Any way to freely sort files in a folder without auto sorting in windows 10?

With older versions of windows I could freely drag a file within a folder and place it where I wanted regardless of auto sorting type, with windows 10 I can't find a way to freely put a file in between two other files without it auto sorting back or putting
    it into another folder. Wondering if anyone has a fix or a workaround thank you.

alexbb1123123, Feb 12, 2020
  3. cereberus Win User
    Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Feb 12, 2020
  4. Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10?

Any way to freely sort files in a folder without auto sorting in windows 10?

Hello Alex,

In line with your concern, there is no option in the File Explorer settings to disable the automatic sorting/arrange of files and folders. Though, there is a workaround that will require you to edit the Registry to disable auto sorting:

1. Press Windows key + R, then type in regedit
    and press Enter.

2. In the Registry window, navigate to this location:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

3. Right-click on the Bags subkey and select
    Delete

4. Navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell

5. Right-click on the Bags subkey and select
    Delete

6. Lastly, navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

7. Right-click on the Bags subkey and select
    Delete

8. Reboot your computer. It should now allow you to arrange your files and folders freely.

Note: The method to fix the issue will have Registry modification. Before you modify the Registry, make sure to back it up and understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. Please refer to this link:
    How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10?

1. Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10? - Similar Threads - freely sort files

2. Is There a way to sort files by the last character?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is There a way to sort files by the last character?: Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename.See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last.File0001File0001AFile0002File0002AFile0003File0001ABelow is an actual example of the video file names i want to search. there are...
  3. Is There a way to sort files by the last character?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is There a way to sort files by the last character?: Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename.See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last.File0001File0001AFile0002File0002AFile0003File0001ABelow is an actual example of the video file names i want to search. there are...
  4. Files dont sort the way they used to?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files dont sort the way they used to?: A little while ago I was in my file explorer developing my server when I clicked a few buttons I didn't know the series of. I am sure this is a simple fix but I searched and could not find an answer. right now they are sorted into what kind of file they are, I do not want...
  5. Files dont sort the way they used to?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files dont sort the way they used to?: A little while ago I was in my file explorer developing my server when I clicked a few buttons I didn't know the series of. I am sure this is a simple fix but I searched and could not find an answer. right now they are sorted into what kind of file they are, I do not want...
  6. Files dont sort the way they used to?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there any way to sort files any way I want in a folder?: Any way to do this or am I limited to only date, size, and type? submitted by /u/greatbuy99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kjf5e8/is_there_any_way_to_sort_files_any_way_i_want_in/
  8. Windows 10 Folder not Auto Sorting....

Windows 10 Folder not Auto Sorting....: So this is extremely annoying, mainly because there are many thing Windows 7 did that I am used to, and like, that 10 does not do... When I scan documents and they are saved to my document folder, which generally has many files in it, it is stuck at the bottom of the...
  9. Any way to sort files with dates in the name?

Any way to sort files with dates in the name?: I have a folder of Georges Braque's works, all of them JPG images with their titles formatted "Title-Year of creation-Painting medium". I want to sort these paintings by their year, but the year is in the middle of the title, not the front. The dates are all four digit years...
  10. Auto-sort by file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto-sort by file type: I am trying to sort files in File Explorer by name only. Currently, there's a default setting where everything sorts by file type, then by filename. I don't want it sorted by file type--I don't care about the file type. The file type has no bearing on what I'm trying to...